Exo Mountain K4?

As expected, no tenderness or bruising or anything today… of course my legs are a little beat up, but no anything from the pack at all… I would have no discomfort doing it again today. It was also pretty warm, it was probably 75 hiking out and all I had on for a shirt was a thin merino shirt and of course pretty sweaty, and no soreness from the lumbar or belt, which is pretty impressive to me all things considered… usually have a little soreness on heavy hot trips out from a little chafing from the lumbar pad or top edge of the belt from sweaty fabric rubbing, but I think everything holds so well there is no rubbing anywhere.

For me, the lumbar pad density is money, it’s soft enough to be comfortable and really form to you but also firm enough to hold in place really well.

Again was really impressed by the side to side stability and yesterday was a good test for that in a complete mess of blowdown and brush for awhile, but it really locks into your body.

My biggest issue was being stuck in a pickup for work the past couple months and not in as good of shape as I normally am, but Thursday was my last day of that, and now it’s back to normal for me staying physically busy at work, and running around the mountains when not working.

Of the packs I’ve used and owned, the k4 is in its own category for me, they outdid themselves

As expected, no tenderness or bruising or anything today… of course my legs are a little beat up, but no anything from the pack at all… I would have no discomfort doing it again today. It was also pretty warm, it was probably 75 hiking out and all I had on for a shirt was a thin merino shirt and of course pretty sweaty, and no soreness from the lumbar or belt, which is pretty impressive to me all things considered… usually have a little soreness on heavy hot trips out from a little chafing from the lumbar pad or top edge of the belt from sweaty fabric rubbing, but I think everything holds so well there is no rubbing anywhere.

For me, the lumbar pad density is money, it’s soft enough to be comfortable and really form to you but also firm enough to hold in place really well.

Again was really impressed by the side to side stability and yesterday was a good test for that in a complete mess of blowdown and brush for awhile, but it really locks into your body.

My biggest issue was being stuck in a pickup for work the past couple months and not in as good of shape as I normally am, but Thursday was my last day of that, and now it’s back to normal for me staying physically busy at work, and running around the mountains when not working.

Of the packs I’ve used and owned, the k4 is in its own category for me, they outdid themselves
What size pack do you have?

I’ve been messing around with my daughter’s K4 the last few weeks and on Friday we (my daughter and I) loaded up our packs (mine is not a K4) with 30 pounds and went for a walk together. After about a mile and a half, we switched packs so I could try the K4.
Now before I go on I would like say my daughter loves the K4. However, I have been a little skeptical of the lumbar pad; this is primarily when I’ve tried it on empty. It’s felt a little “clunky” if you will, and almost kind of uncomfortable I guess.
Now Steve has continued to tell us to give it time to break in, and putting weight in it, you will realize the benefit of the design.

Well back to my story, on our walk we switched packs and I can tell you without hesitation the K4 felt great! It felt lighter than my pack (maybe because my pack was 6 pounds heavier, but it felt much more than that) and the lumbar pad seemed to “fall into place” and do it’s job amazingly well.
I came home emptied my pack, sold it the next day, and ordered a K4.
Now don’t get me wrong I have a great pack, and it is very comfortable. It carries weight very well, but the frame height is a little to tall for me. The K4 has the right frame height to fit me perfectly.
Looking forward to packing more weight when mine shows up.

Last edited:
I’ve been messing around with my daughters K4 the last few weeks and on Friday we (my daughter and I) loaded up our packs (mine is not a K4) with 30 pounds and went for a walk together. After about a mile and a half, we switched packs so I could try the K4.
Now before I go on I would like say my daughter loves the K4. However, I have been a little skeptical of the lumbar pad; this is me primarily when I’ve tried it on empty. It’s felt a little “clunky” if you will, and almost kind of uncomfortable I guess.
Now Steve has continued to tell us to give it time to break in, and putting weight in it, you will realize the benefit of the design.

Well back to my story, on our walk we switched packs and I can tell you without hesitation the K4 felt great! It felt lighter than my pack (maybe because my pack was 6 pounds heavier, but it felt much more than that) and the lumbar pad seemed to “fall into place” and do it’s job amazingly well.
I came home emptied my pack, sold it the next day, and ordered a K4.
Now don’t get me wrong I have a great pack, and it is very comfortable. It carries weight very well, but the frame height is a little to tall for me. The K4 has the right frame height to fit me perfectly.
Looking forward to packing more weight when mine shows up.
Yeah, brand new and empty is a very different feeling, I know what you are talking about but with a little weight (light day hunt gear) and a little time wearing it and it’s a completely different experience, and I guess there is some break in because mine empty doesn’t feel like it did out of the box.

Just gets better too, and especially with some weight in it, but mine is really comfortable in day hunt mode now, just like the previous exo packs

You will be happy with your decision, and breaking the pack down to haul meat is so clever, just every little aspect well thought out.

I have just been doing hikes with my almost 3 year old daughter. Strapped her kid carrier to the frame. Probably about 40 pounds with her, food and water.

5-7 mile hikes so far

So far it is still the most comfortable frame I have ever had.

Today heading out for a 7-8 mile hike with about 65lbs in the 5000 bag, no daughter with me today. I did this same hike with my other pack 3 weeks ago so I’ll have a pretty good comparison with more weight.

View attachment 548059
Any other pics of how you attached the osprey?

I'll get some more posted up later this week for you guys. I was out of town all last week on a vacation with my wife. Back at it and have another version of the 2200 being sewn up as we speak.
How dare you spend time with your family! lol we appreciate all that you do.

If you are getting any hip rubbing I have found that tucking in my shirt helps. The rubbing is almost always caused by wearing a belt or even pants with a thick waistband. By tucking in the shirt it just gives a layer of padding between that and your skin.
i find leaving my shirt untucked with any pack gives me rubbing issues, which is weird because you'd think the fabric would be less wrinkled under the belt vs tucked in. But what your saying makes sense,

I've noticed the lower stretch pocket is more difficult to access (while wearing the pack) with the 26.5" stays. I would say I have very good shoulder mobility but the lower stretch pocket is a reach for me to get my hand into. I suspect this is worse with the long stays because the entire bag is higher relative to the bottom of the frame.

I cut my stays down to 26" and noticed it was much easier to get into.

I've noticed the lower stretch pocket is more difficult to access (while wearing the pack) with the 26.5" stays. I would say I have very good shoulder mobility but the lower stretch pocket is a reach for me to get my hand into. I suspect this is worse with the long stays because the entire bag is higher relative to the bottom of the frame.

I cut my stays down to 26" and noticed it was much easier to get into.

Is there a process video for cutting stays down? I think I’m going to do the same.

Back