Experience with Abe's of Maine?

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience purchasing from Abe's of Maine? Looking into purchasing a Tamron 18-400mm lens for my Nikon. It's between $600 and $650 everywhere, except Abe's of Maine has it for $499. Seems like an awesome deal, but would love to hear if anyone has had experience dealing with them.

My mother taught me not to but in print something that's not nice. She didn't say I couldn't talk about it. Call me at 516-217-1000

Luckyrxc

FNG
Agree with the gray market comment. Last year I was shopping for a Sigma lens. Abe’s was significantly less expensive than other well known retailers and I learned the lens would not be covered by Sigma factory warranty, but warranted by Abe’s. Do your research. BTW, I’ve been treated really well by Hunts in Mass, and they ship to me out west.

Stalker69

WKR
Damn this sucks, they sell the rx10 VI for 1369.00. Wonder what the difference is ?

Stevek

WKR
I looked at buying a lens from them but after a search on the internet their online reviews were really not good. They will sell a lot of things that are not going to be warrantied in the US nor guaranteed. Service after the sale is not highly rated either. Read the very fine print before buying is what I found out.

If you're looking to save money, I'd recommend buying lightly used over grey market.

Stalker69

WKR
Are they different (fake) cameras, or same exact camera , why can they sell them cheaper ? I am tempted to buy one from them if they are the exact same, as far as the warranty goes. About all warranties are like hand shakes now days, don’t mean a damn thing. Both used to mean ALOT , not so any more. I am kinda looking at it like, I save 300.00, + if they are exactly the same camera and I had the option of buy the warranty for 300.00, ( price of the camera every where else) I wouldn’t buy it, I know the run around ( shipping there and back sometimes multiple times, costs even more money) that comes with trying to get some things fixed or replaced under warranty. I guess my question is, why wouldn’t I want to buy one from them, is there other reasons then just the warranty ?

Last edited:

Pokerface

FNG
Call Joel at Camera Land above, never dealt personally , but have never heard a bad word about that business, never.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Reach out to Cameraland NY. They may not be as cheap as Abe's, but they have great service and they won't be grey market goods. Buy once, cry once...

Stalker69

WKR
Thanks, he suggested the Nikon p1000, trying to find one local to look at. Don’t look as though camera land sales them, and again Abe’s of main does for substantially less $. I don’t know what I’ll do.

Back when I was a full time photographer I bought a good bit of stuff there. They do have a good bit of grey market stuff. I bought a good bit of it (mostly Canon). I never had an issue with warranty. That was over 15 years ago though.

Old Dog

FNG
Sometimes if you buy grey market the US distributor won't do warranty work or any work at all. My experience is with Nikon.

I usually buy from B&H or if I'm looking for used gear KEH Camera or MPB.