Experienced Opinions Needed

UTXPLR

FNG
Hey everybody I'm in the market for some new binos, I'm about to make a purchase in the $500-$700 (10x42) range and of course I want the best bang for the buck. I am researching many different binoculars and would like anyone's experience with these binoculars, preferably if they were compared with others but any input helps.

All in 10x42

*Steiner HX - does anybody know how these stack up, any experience, they seem nice, one review said BaK-1 glass...?
*Meopro HD - seems like a real solid contender against higher end bins
*Kowa BD XD - not as good warranty but seem quality and suitably in the mix with the others here mentioned.
*Nikon Monarch 7 ATB - I've read many great reviews, not sure if they are in the same class but the price is....?
*Tract Toric - I actually had the toric and sent them back, felt like my eyes worked a little harder with them but I loved everything else about them, curious to see their new upgrades, possibly will give them another shot.

Where do all of these line up to the Razor and Conquest, my brother has those two and they are very good, at least to my eyes however I don't have that budget at the moment.
I also had a pair of viper HD's but same thing I felt more eye strain with them than I do with my 10x32 Talon HD's which actually feel really good. I suspect it may be slight flaws in component assembly not sure.

any input helps thanks.

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
I like my 10x42 Vortex Vipers if you call around or have some sporting goods stores near you I bet you can find the older model for <$400.

The Maven C.1s are the best I've looked through in that price range. I bought them for my wife for Christmas and turns out they're better than my Razor HDs. You can demo them from Maven for $315 up front, and you get a full refund if you return them within two weeks I believe. I haven't looked through all the brands you're considering but Ryan Avery seems to think they're tops for binos under $800.

JNDEER

WKR
I wrote a long winded review on here some time back. Search my quest for the one and you should find it. It doesn't include the $500-$700 range binos- but I do believe that if you save for a few more months and get a bino in the $1000 range the leap from a bino in the $500 to the $1000 is the most significant.

I cannot comment on others opinions, but as with ANYTHING you get what you pay for. To think that a $350 bino is better or as good as a $1000 doesn't make logical sense. I have not looked through a Maven so I cannot specifically comment on my personal opinion. But of all the binos I did look through in my review (spent with my hard earned money and not recommended from a sponsor or a friend of a company) the leap is going from the $500 to the $1000 bino and that would be my suggestion. I have seen the $1000 bino's go for $700-$800.

if you are not able to put your eyes behind the glass to compare, but know that your eyes do like the raozrs or conquests than why not stick with them? you won't know how good a bino is until you have them all together at the same time comparing them--looking at one or two binos one day and another a month later won't give you the same direct comparison you need to truly make the best decision on your purchase.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be my pleasure to discuss different options with you. Please give me a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few moments to chat

Look up. There is literally a thread that has answers for you. Maven c1 can't be beat in that price range. Demo them. What have you got to lose?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
U

UTXPLR

FNG
I'd certainly call Doug at Cameralndny and get his thoughts/pricing.

Thanks I'll have to contact him

The Maven C.1s are the best I've looked through in that price range. I bought them for my wife for Christmas and turns out they're better than my Razor HDs. You can demo them from Maven for $315 up front, and you get a full refund if you return them within two weeks I believe. I haven't looked through all the brands you're considering but Ryan Avery seems to think they're tops for binos under $800.

I'll definitely be looking into the Maven, I've seen their advertisement etc but haven't looked into them or through them.

Look up. There is literally a thread that has answers for you. Maven c1 can't be beat in that price range. Demo them. What have you got to lose?

I'll be doing some digging around on the forums, demoing sounds like a good idea might have to try it.

OP
U

UTXPLR

FNG
I'd certainly call Doug at Cameralndny and get his thoughts/pricing.

I wrote a long winded review on here some time back. Search my quest for the one and you should find it. It doesn't include the $500-$700 range binos- but I do believe that if you save for a few more months and get a bino in the $1000 range the leap from a bino in the $500 to the $1000 is the most significant.

I cannot comment on others opinions, but as with ANYTHING you get what you pay for. To think that a $350 bino is better or as good as a $1000 doesn't make logical sense. I have not looked through a Maven so I cannot specifically comment on my personal opinion. But of all the binos I did look through in my review (spent with my hard earned money and not recommended from a sponsor or a friend of a company) the leap is going from the $500 to the $1000 bino and that would be my suggestion. I have seen the $1000 bino's go for $700-$800.

if you are not able to put your eyes behind the glass to compare, but know that your eyes do like the raozrs or conquests than why not stick with them? you won't know how good a bino is until you have them all together at the same time comparing them--looking at one or two binos one day and another a month later won't give you the same direct comparison you need to truly make the best decision on your purchase.

I actually read through that Thread and it was very insightful and helpful, i'm thinking I may just have to try and get my hands on some of these and try them out. I guess I'm just being a little cheap trying to save a little but find something that bites at the heels of the razor or conquest. you make a good point though for not too much more I can have a real nice piece of glass so that will probably be my better route. However have a set of midrange binos might not be bad to have around to borrow out or let my wife use when we both go out. You're right though, if I can't find anything that can get close to the razor/conquest then I'll just save up a little more and get one of those.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would look for a used pair of Vortex Razor HD’s or a bit higher on the food chain. I think all your references binoculars are average at best. You can buy a far better optic used than any of the ones you listed for $700 if you look around.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Doug is right. If you have time you can find some damn nice used optics from 6-900 dollars.

Out of your list, the only ones I have not looked through is the Tract. If you had to pull the trigger now just get the C.1s. For $350 they are ridiculously clear and bright and spend the extra on some gas or tags.

If you can hold out, look for some used Meopta B1s, Nikon HGs, or the Maven B2(but they are 9 or 11 power) or hell even some older SLCs.

Doug is right. If you have time you can find some damn nice used optics from 6-900 dollars.

Out of your list, the only ones I have not looked through is the Tract. If you had to pull the trigger now just get the C.1s. For $350 they are ridiculously clear and bright and spend the extra on some gas or tags.

If you can hold out, look for some used Meopta B1s, Nikon HGs, or the Maven B2(but they are 9 or 11 power) or hell even some older SLCs.
Exactly. I was demoing those c1 and almost kept them but then some b2 came on here for a screaming deal. I'm very impressed with maven.

Beendare

WKR
My advice, take the time to compare them side by side...outside in low light if possible.

In the store is a waste of time.....$80 bino looks decent in the store.

There are a couple mentioned that I wouldn't own.....

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
My advice, take the time to compare them side by side...outside in low light if possible.

In the store is a waste of time.....$80 bino looks decent in the store.

There are a couple mentioned that I wouldn't own.....

I looked through a pair of $99 binos and they looked terrible even in the store:) but I totally agree, if at all possible look though them over a couple days outside if possible.

Come on beendare spill the beans, what do you think sucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk