Explain Utah Drawing to me

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I just moved here from Idaho due to my retirement from the AF. Idaho tags were easy to figure out, however, this whole points thing and draws has me scratching my head. Not to mention general season tags as well. Can you apply for a bull draw and then an antlerless draw if you don't get a bull tag? Can you save your points and just apply for cow tags if you want until you get enough stored up for a decent bull tag? Are the points for antlerless and bull the same? I have tried looking at the Utah big game book and it wasn't very helpful.

The whole point system is also different for bulls and cows. Limited entry bull tags are on a bonus point system, while general season cow tags are on a preference point system.

You can get a general season or limited entry bull tag and an antlerless tag in same year.
But I would look at drawing odds before you assume getting a few points will get you a limited entry tag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you don't already have close to 20 LE elk points, then I wouldn't be too concerned with drawing a really good bull tag. Maybe you'll get lucky in the random pass, but doubtful.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Muless

FNG
You can apply for a bull draw and an antlerless draw simultaneously. If you don't get a bull tag, you'll still be in the running for an antlerless tag. The points for antlerless and bull tags are separate, so you can apply for both without affecting your bull tag points.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can apply for a bull draw and an antlerless draw simultaneously. If you don't get a bull tag, you'll still be in the running for an antlerless tag. The points for antlerless and bull tags are separate, so you can apply for both without affecting your bull tag points.
Bull tags use bonus points, cow tags use preference points.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Caveat to this is that the antlerless application opens in June while the general big game draw opens in March.

If you apply for Limited Entry Elk (special units where you can shoot any Bull) then you Cannot apply for any other limited entry tag (deer or pronghorn). Same goes for OIL draw for residents- can only pick one species

There are general (sort of OTC) Elk tags for some areas that are Any Bull, and some areas (to include limited areas) that you can shoot a Spike elk only. Also Archery (either sex) options for those as well.

The antlerless as mentioned is a completely separate draw and not dependent on the limited draw. You can get a cow tag or two depending on other tags.

The limited draw works on bonus points. 50% of the tags go to the applicants with the most bonus points. The other half go random to all applicants (supposedly with extra chances based on how many bonus points you have) so yes, you do have a chance to draw with any amount of points

Last edited:

Syncerus1

FNG
Dude, and Dudettes... it is so simple. Youz payz yourz money, youz takez your choice. You get no tag, but have learned "something". I'm still learning...
When you do get a tag, you find the game is scarce, the numbers of hunters is real, the numbers of game is made up, and then there's the weather, the cost of gasoline, 17 guys/gals shooting at the one critter everyone found, and a foot race to see who can reach the carcass first and punch their tag to claim ownership! It is so fun... can't wait to do it again!