Fall Black Bear Elevations

kommj

FNG
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and the western hunting world in general. I've hunted my home state of Michigan for a few years and I'm planning on hunting in Unit 12 during the muzzleloader season this coming September. I'm trying to do my homework as far as what to look for to find bears. From what I understand locating food sources at the lower elevations is the most important part. I really don't have a good grasp on what elevation promotes what kinds of growth/food sources and can't find much to read about it either.
As of right now, I'm looking at a few drainages in the area that I've found, all at around 8400 feet. I figured that would be a good place to start. If anyone has any advice to offer as far as hunting, scouting, finding berry patches/food sources, or helpful material I should read, I would very much appreciate it.

Last edited:
Tagging along. Will be my first time actually targeting bears and will be hunting eastern Washington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
Elevation will vary greatly by where you are in the country. They are looking for food and use their noses to find it. Generally, this will put bears in lower country that still hasn’t dried out. However, if there is a good source up high, they will find it and use it.

Chugaglug

FNG
that's awesome, I'm guessing Colorado? I'd say 8400 might be a little high, especially since we've had such a wet summer and everything is still pretty green down low. In ID/MT/WA we hunt them in the fall focusing on service berries (aka June berries, saskatoon). Our bears are currently ranging from 3500' to 6000', huckleberries aren't quite ripe above this elevation yet although coming soon. Don't bother with dry areas, fall bears like to be near water it seems. It might be a tougher fall season because the bears won't be concentrated because food is plentiful. We've had our best success on bad berry years because bears are making mistakes trying to get fed up for winter.

ScopeScar

FNG
In WA I'd say between 3000 and 5000 in about the 2nd week of August when the berries are ripe. September? A blackberry patch along a forest road, catch one crossing into an orchard, blind luck.

crossone

FNG
In Idaho in the fall, by September, most of the huckleberries are gone and with the exception of blue elderberries that grow along the roads (which the bears shred quite often making it easy to see if there are bears around) most of the berry bushes and chock cherries are along the creek beds. Elevation doesn’t really mean much except that it does effect where the berries are growing.

Fall bears are much harder to hunt. They’re fantastically fat guys with shiny black coats but very tricky to find. I see them both high and low every few years (not in Unit 12 but both north and south of Unit 12 so I assume it’s the same there). Great trophies but tricky to find without bait or dogs.

Best advice I can offer is glassing hillsides and Creek bottoms with lots of berries and bear sign in them both morning and night. You’ll see unbelievable piles of bear scat around the berry patches if they’re using them. I guess it’s a function of how many berries they eat or how their bodies process the berries that they make huge piles all over the place. They’re not discrete.

Cross

skierhs

WKR
I’ve personally chased bears in Colorado from the valley floors up 12k in elevation in a snow storm. I would disregard elevation and focus far more on where your seeing their food supply and water. Chasing them that high up was a lot of fun for a spot and stalk hunt.

WKR
Oak brush full of acorns or choke cherries. Often times those are intermixed. Add a water hole and you'll have bears.

WKR
This is what an 18 year old bear and a 6'7" kid look like. Last year's bruin will be a hard one for us to beat. Skull just shy of the 20" mark by a 1/8"

swampokie

WKR
Saw sign at all elevations last weekend in sw colorado. They were primarily from 8500-9000 feet in the aspen spruce/oak brush transition area. Eating grass and aspens. They will be transitioning in the next couple weeks to the lower zone as the cherries and acorns begin to ripen. Had very close call with sow and 2 cubs. Unknowingly got between the 2 cubs as they treed on each side of me. She bluffed and growled and i backed away as i prayed.