Family Pack Trip - Durango

Wyoklaelk

FNG
Taking the family on a pack trip in CO unit 74. Mostly a family trip, taking 5 horses and a mule, slight scout trip. Was supposed to pack in up North after my wife and daughter went to a concert, father-in-law had heart surgery so trip was postponed. Drew 74, never been there, might as well go on a pack trip there beginning of August! Engineer mountain looks spectacular, and the kiddos would probably like that. My question is are there good places to camp there? Is there good grass there for the animals? Do the creeks have some brookies up there? There are trails everywhere, so the 2x6 yr old kiddos will be fine to ride on those. Any help to make a great pack trip for the family would be super appreciated! Any other spots to pack, ride, camp, fish in 74 that kids would love please help!
As far as scouting....mostly just checking the area out and hopefully point out an elk to the kiddos.

You all know more here than anyone else, I appreciate it.

Poser

WKR
Engineer area has plenty of open tundra, running water (this is true for a good bit of the san Juans. I would note that the trail gets a lot of daily traffic including Mtn bikes. The Colorado trail will have quite a bit of Mtn bike traffic as well, but engineer trail (aka pass trail) can get bottlenecked with horses and bikes. Note that An outfitter sets up shop on the north side of engineer around white creek each fall. I don’t believe there is any fishing directly around engineer without dropping elevation. Lime Creek headwaters are up there but you’d have to drop back to Hwy 550 elevation to find any fish. There are usually elk in and around that area all summer and often well into the Fall.

If you want to avoid Mtn bikes and horses, you might consider the wilderness area. If you have any questions about bodies of water holding fish, just hit me up. I live in 74.

OP
W

Wyoklaelk

FNG
Which wilderness would be better for camping, trail rides, stream fishing? Weminuche or hermosa Creek? Is one better "mountain" experience for these okie kiddos?
Thanks for the helpful info!

Poser

WKR
Which wilderness would be better for camping, trail rides, stream fishing? Weminuche or hermosa Creek? Is one better "mountain" experience for these okie kiddos?
Thanks for the helpful info!

The Weminuche is exponentially larger, though possibly more difficult to narrow down an area due to the size.