Favorite Elk Tactics?

As mentioned, there is no "Best" option for all areas. I mentioned a treestand as it is deadly. I find its an option alot guys still don't use. I don't want to steer the thread saying it's the only way as stalking into bugling bulls, ambush, etc all work as does calling. I could kill an elk every year in a couple days out of a treestand if that's all I did but I find it boring and want more out of my short 30 day window. I'd rather have the option of ambush, calling, stalking, and use treestands when I'm tired and need a break.

I will say this, and I do think this is an absolute. If you took area "X" that is typical elk country (sub treeline) and you took 10 guys using treestands and 10 guys that spot and stalk, call, etc typical elk hunting. After a week of hunting, the treestand guys would have less impact on an area and there would still be elk around. I would bet money after a week the ground pounders would have that same area vacant. The fun of elk hunting............

OP
Airborne1

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned, there is no "Best" option for all areas. I mentioned a treestand as it is deadly. I find its an option alot guys still don't use. I don't want to steer the thread saying it's the only way as stalking into bugling bulls, ambush, etc all work as does calling. I could kill an elk every year in a couple days out of a treestand if that's all I did but I find it boring and want more out of my short 30 day window. I'd rather have the option of ambush, calling, stalking, and use treestands when I'm tired and need a break.

I will say this, and I do think this is an absolute. If you took area "X" that is typical elk country (sub treeline) and you took 10 guys using treestands and 10 guys that spot and stalk, call, etc typical elk hunting. After a week of hunting, the treestand guys would have less impact on an area and there would still be elk around. I would bet money after a week the ground pounders would have that same area vacant. The fun of elk hunting............
That is a valid point. I try not to blow out any one area, if that stalk doesn't work out I want to be able to go back in and try again. I would think a lot of people try to do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the situation. I’ve been trying to learn more from elknut as he is a great teacher. His techniques have really improved the quantity and quality of my encounters.

Early season bulls are driven by the instinct to breed. I had a lot of encounters last year with his slow play sequence.

Buy his app and listen to his podcasts. He has good suggestions to read the situation and listen to what the elk are saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2

cnelk

WKR
That is a valid point. I try not to blow out any one area, if that stalk doesn't work out I want to be able to go back in and try again. I would think a lot of people try to do the same thing.

I call this 'Hunting Soft'
We hunt the same OTC areas over and over, with plenty of encounters because we hunt them 'soft'.
Minimal calling, always using the thermals/wind, hunting SLOWLY

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
All the calling you see in videos makes for good videos, but if you really pay attention to the bulls they are killing 90+% of the time they are not the bulls I'm targeting. Most of the time the are satellite type bulls without cows. I'm only ever after the herd bulls and don't want the smaller bulls coming to me. The best way to kill a great bull is if he never knew you were around. AND... they are a lot easier to recover if they never run because they have no idea they've even been shot rather than running like crazy when they spook.

#1+++ mistake guys make is calling "at" bulls that are already talking. Why on earth would you want to start telling a bull where you are rather than get into range of him first? Don't get me wrong, I do bugle and do call, but as I've said many times, it's the last resort after I've gotten within 60 yards of him already. As long as I can stay close to a bull for as long as needed I will kill him.

If you really look close at the guys that are killing great bulls everywhere they hunt all the time, they are not going in calls a blazing. They are stealthy hunters first and know how to use calls when they are needed, but certainly not as their first/only option.

Spot/Listen stalk and shoot the best bull on the mountain.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Depends on season, situation, response or lack or response, location, weather, how your set up... There are way to many factors to try and "generalize" calling in my experience.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ok, I've found the old AT Western bowhunting crew! Awesome

Were we missing? Did you get yourself settled yet?

As for tree stands........yep, I've been saying it for years. If a guy can sit in a tree and has even a little bit of sense on where to put it, he will absolutely have a chance at an elk within a few days without fail.....100%. But for me, I'd need to haul a stairmaster up there with me to keep me busy while I was waiting. Maybe when I'm 80 I'll be able to sit for a little while.

Hey bud, yes settled in TX. I couldn't access AT for 2 years, still can't. Glad to see your all still at it!

When AT went thru some changes, I couldn't access it and gave up. I was recently able to get back on but had to change my screen name.

Scoutman

FNG
I tried for a day, last week and they couldn't fix it so I deleted my profile, they did it.

Were we missing? Did you get yourself settled yet?

As for tree stands........yep, I've been saying it for years. If a guy can sit in a tree and has even a little bit of sense on where to put it, he will absolutely have a chance at an elk within a few days without fail.....100%. But for me, I'd need to haul a stairmaster up there with me to keep me busy while I was waiting. Maybe when I'm 80 I'll be able to sit for a little while.

Tens of thousands of posts between here and AT....you’ve got to be able to sit somewhat still!

Seriously, how long can you sit still for?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Seriously, how long can you sit still for?

Still? Long enough to get a shot off. Beyond that, hardly ever. I'm a mover even in my sleep. And my body doesn't generate any heat unless I'm moving.......so I'm always moving even when I'm sitting or just standing there. While on the computer, I'm on and off in a hurry. I'm a pretty quick typer. While hunting I usually don't even sit down to eat.

OP
Airborne1

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
Airborne1, what is your one Go To Tactic?

ElkNut/Paul
Since I have only 4 years of experience I can't say I have one go to yet. But I have had more encounters with calling in bulls with cow calls. I have also done it with bugles. And the one bull I have killed was spot and stalk and they fed right to me. I am not picky when it comes to filling my tag so if its a big bull or small bull and the opportunity presents itself I'm taking the shot. Whichever tactic seems to be working best for the moment is what I run with.

ElkNut1

WKR
I understand you for sure, it's what many have shared above, lots of ways to hunt elk. I'm like you, I flat love elk hunting, I'm not after the biggest bulls around so I can gloat. Give me a 5 point & I'll take him every year. It's the hunt & the Calling for the most part on these OTC bulls. Once in a blue moon conditions allow for a Stalk on a vocal bull but much of the country I choose to hunt does not allow a silent approach, it's way to thick & littered with downfall, calling is a necessity.

Personally, one of my favorite all time tactics is the Slow Play I've used on a lot of bulls, thing is it has to be the Right Bull for best results!

I will use Advertising Sequences.

Breeding Sequences

Challenges

Calling cows from bulls

Cow calling my way to a bull, etc.

I will add, once you get a bull to respond to a cow call you've got him, he's the easiest OTC bull to get into your lap! Sometimes you need to stay with just that cow call & other bulls a course bugle must be injected, it's all up to the bull how the decision is played out. Biggest mistake by hunters is to think the same calling tactic works for all bulls.

All have value & their place as does a well placed Treestand.

ElkNut/Paul

OP
Airborne1

Airborne1

Lil-Rokslider
@ElkNut1
When you are doing you slow play, what is the minimum amount of time you will go through the sequence and then how long will you wait it out?

ElkNut1

WKR
Minimum time would be 20 minutes. It's generally longer on the more stubborn bulls. If a bull is laying down it can take some serious persistence to get him on his feet to finally engage, once he does he's mine! I generally reserve this Tactic for herd bulls.

If the bull doesn't engage at anytime you cannot apply the slow play as required. All the details are in the App you have under the ElkNuts Nuggets section.

ElkNut/Paul