Favorite Game bird Recipe

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
Tenderize breast/thighs off the bone, brine in pickle juice or buttermilk for a day, toss in seasoned flour, then deep fry at 350. Makes a killer Chik-fil-a copy cat, or can go in wraps, tossed in BBQ sauce, etc. I’m going to try a Nashville hot style later this week. Not the healthiest option but damn is it good.

Otherwise anything you would do with chicken you can do with pheasant. Pheasant noodle soup, pastas, fajitas, pan seared, marinate and grill, pheasant Parmesan, pot pies, list goes on.

Last night we had pasta Fresca topped with pan seared pheasant breast. Very good.

Slow cook and shred pheasant breasts or turkey legs. Then, use it for pheasant tortilla soup.

I grilled a crane this fall. It was excellent with just salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Duck breasts usually become cheese steak sandwiches. Duck legs get saved and I make them kind of like sweet/spicy chicken wings.

Slow cook and shred geese. Save the broth. Mix with my dog's kibble.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a sucker for overnight brine and smoking duck breast brushed with a little apple juice towards the end and served as an appetizer with fresh bread for a long time.

This is from some teal from the last hunt of the season a few weeks ago.
1710279564863.jpeg

I usually crock pot turkey to soften it up and do pot pies with it. Pheasants get braised with roast vegetables and fingerling potatoes because I always manage to overcook pheasant if I cook it any other way 🤣

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a sucker for overnight brine and smoking duck breast brushed with a little apple juice towards the end and served as an appetizer with fresh bread for a long time.

This is from some teal from the last hunt of the season a few weeks ago.
View attachment 686354

I usually crock pot turkey to soften it up and do pot pies with it. Pheasants get braised with roast vegetables and fingerling potatoes because I always manage to overcook pheasant if I cook it any other way 🤣
What’s the brine?

bigdub257

Lil-Rokslider
I have several and all of of the above look very delicious so I intend to try some of those for sure. One thing I've done over the last couple of years is cut it into cubes and pressure can it in pint jars with a cube of chicken bullion in each jar. It's great to eat straight out of the jar or add it to any recipe that calls for chicken. Very tender! I also do this with duck, goose, venison and elk.

manitou1

WKR
My favorite two recipes:
1) Bone out the bird, hammer out some thin "fillets', place a bit of cream cheese, onion and jalopeno in middle, roll up, wrap with bacon.
Next... roll in egg wash and flour or cracker/panco crumbs and deep fry. Amazing.

2) I used to make "upland chowder" by replacing the seafood with chunks of upland bird. Very tasty.

Last edited:

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the brine?
Super simple: 1/2 gallon of water, half cup of coarse salt and about a dozen or so peppercorns. Should easily do 10-12 birds worth of breasts. If you use regular or fine table salt, cut it down to 1/4 cup.

Stir it up a bit and put it all in a ziplock bag or in a bowl with a lid and leave it overnight 👍

ETA: I have heated the water before to dissolve the salt, I can’t taste the difference between just stirring it up for a few minutes and heating it.

Last edited:

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Super simple: 1/2 gallon of water, half cup of coarse salt and about a dozen or so peppercorns. Should easily do 10-12 birds worth of breasts. If you use regular or fine table salt, cut it down to 1/4 cup.

Stir it up a bit and put it all in a ziplock bag or in a bowl with a lid and leave it overnight 👍

ETA: I have heated the water before to dissolve the salt, I can’t taste the difference between just stirring it up for a few minutes and heating it.
Super! Thanks, I’ll try it out. I shoot a lot of ducks and have been wondering about a brine.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I make the best wigeon enchiladas on the planet. Only way wigeon edible.
What time is dinner? :LOL:

It is somewhat amazing, the recipe I use is specific to pheasant, but I have used it with quail, forest grouse, rabbit and sage grouse with equally great success. Maybe duck will be next!