Favorite garden vegetable or fruit

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't seen it mentioned, but Cucumbers.

I will eat fresh Cucumbers off the vine like Apples. And then there is all the options with pickling as well.

Drenalin

WKR
Several years ago, I slipped some rhubarb plants into my wife's flower beds. Once they get going, they are prolific. My motivation was strawberry rhubarb pie, which I soon found I couldn't eat enough of to use up all the rhubarb.

We've moved to a more rural home in the last few months and my daughter I have been planning a garden. Mostly the usual suspects - peppers, carrots, potatoes, cucumbers - but we're also going to put out strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries. Hopefully we'll get some apple and pear trees going, and maybe a couple of peach trees. I definitely want asparagus too.

Not all of that will be in a garden of course; I'm planning on putting stuff out all over the property. I basically looked at what we buy as far as fruits and vegetables at the grocery store and decided to try and grow our own on stuff we use most. My kids eat raw fruits and vegetables every meal and it adds up.

JShane

FNG
sweet potatoes in the ground already. fingerling potatoes will be going in soon, then the usual peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, okra, etc.

WCB

WKR
Green Onions hands down. We plant like 3xs what we need because as soon as I can I start eating them whenever I pass by the garden.

My 2.5 years old old daughter destroys our tomatoes. she eats them like candy. has for the last 2 summers...we have at least got her to the point of waiting until they are ready to pick.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Mooregold squash are great if anybody is looking for a great winter squash that will keep 6mo easy. Way better tasting than any other winter squash I've tried.

Sungold cherry tomatoes are damn tasty.

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Not unusual but my favorite is green beans. They grow like crazy. Me and the kids pick a bowl a day when they get going

Fordhook giant swiss chard, purple potatoes, black krim tomatoes, Roma for canning, asparagus, herbs, blue Hubbard squash (will keep 9+ months), rhubarb, pickling cucumbers, zucchini and yellow squash.

Got a couple apple trees started, enterprise and cosmic crisp, but it will be a few years before they are productive.

Roy68

WKR
Horseradish, black radishes, cuc-a-melons, yard long beans, blue Hubbard squash as a trap plant. Then all the staples

I grew eightball zucchini last year. It was popular.
I love strawberry rhubarb pie. I grow both.

For me it’s more about how to use/store the crops than what to grow. We eat lots of fridge pickles. I also can lots of pickles, pickled green beans, and pickled asparagus.
We grow raspberries and pick black berries and can cases of jam.
We make salsa.

Zucchini and summer squash are a conundrum. They come on like gangbusters and after a few weeks and several loaves of bread and several jars of relish, me and anyone I can find to take them are burned out. Yet they keep on growing!!!

Tod osier

WKR
Zucchini and summer squash are a conundrum. They come on like gangbusters and after a few weeks and several loaves of bread and several jars of relish, me and anyone I can find to take them are burned out. Yet they keep on growing!!!

You probably know this, but pick them tiny in the 3-4-5 (max) inch range and they are an entirely different thing. We grow Zephyr and I think they are vastly superior in flavor. We eat them a couple times a week as a veg and find them excellent, with the typical squash I fond we needed to doctor them up too much or put them in something.

Tod osier

WKR
Grew my first carrots this fall/winter!!! They REALLY did well.
Actually have so many I took a handful out to where I have a feeder
set up for a fox squirrel. Maybe she'll like em.

If you haven't dug them all, dig them in spring before they start to grow back - sweetest carrot ever as they start to get ready to regrow and convert the stored starches to sugar.

I grew eightball zucchini last year. It was popular.
I love strawberry rhubarb pie. I grow both.

For me it’s more about how to use/store the crops than what to grow. We eat lots of fridge pickles. I also can lots of pickles, pickled green beans, and pickled asparagus.
We grow raspberries and pick black berries and can cases of jam.
We make salsa.

Slice lengthwise into 1/8th" strips. Olive oil, s&p, garlic and grill.

Last year I started mincing summer squash and a little onion, browning in a little butter and adding taco seasoning. I imagine that would keep pretty well in the freezer.

Extra zucs get shredded and frozen in quantities ready for baking. We make bread a couple times a month all fall and winter.