Favorite Upland Vest

Spindrift

FNG
Got my Final Rise summit out on a few decent sized grouse walks with significant elevation (2k vert) and filled the bag both times with pine chickens. Thoughts as compared to my 10 year old Wing Works:

1. The FR is noticeably lighter. Lighter cordura and straps make for a lighter package. More waist belt support on the WW. Construction quality is a draw…bit appear to be well made and while I have several years on my WW, I don’t see any real reason to think the FR will fail any earlier, despite lighter construction.

2. Not as burly. The WW vest is simply beefier, for better or worse. One nice thing about that beef is it really sits on your hips well and also doesn’t tend to get hung up in snaggy stuff. It has great form and keeps its shape year after year, like you’re putting on a well made big game pack. The FR feels more like a lighter day pack which has its advantages.

3. The FR details are great and really well thought out. One thing I noticed right off the bat is that the water bottle holders are a slightly (mm’s) bigger circumference than WW, which makes getting at your bottles a little bit easier. The WW is hard to operate one handed. The zippered shell pockets are nice but note that I’ve never needed them in my WW in several years of use. But having zippers makes peeps feel better. The smallest integrated pockets on the FR are more useable than the WW which are so narrow and stiff, they’re borderline useless. I keep my ear plugs and windicator in the small pockets and welcome the improvement.

4. The WW comes with a bit more built in storage, where as FR offers the equivalent in optional accessories. Keep this in mind relative to your own needs and wants and the price at checkout. I carry a lot of stuff, so I’d give the storage nod to WW in terms of capacity and comfort under load. When I used to guide pheasant hunting, that storage and weight bearing in the WW was fantastic…8 roosters is a lot of weight. But that’s no longer my priority.

5. There are a LOT of similar features. I doubt that Mr. Davis would deny adopting some of the placement and features of the WW. D Rings, molle straps, shoulder accessory straps are all fairly identical. This isn’t a knock as different doesn’t always mean better!

Overall: I’d liken it to anything else…if you appreciate beef and things that are overbuilt, the WW vest is your jam. If you do a lot of Chukar or blue grouse hunting and want a faster, lighter feeling vest, the FR is a better choice. I’d give the edge to WW in load bearing and storage but FR wins in modularity and weight.

Both are really good vests…you can’t go wrong with either. I’ll likely use the WW as my “big hunt” vest when I know I’ll be out all day and need to carry enough food, water, etc. But the FR wins in my average 2-3 hour hunt, especially for Chukar when weight really sucks.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan of my Bird n Lite vest. I don't think I'll ever have a non strap vest. I can adjust it so much that those "old school" style vests just don't compare in the fit. And I'm a believer in the "weight management" or whatever Browning calls it that transfers the weight off your shoulders to your hips. I've had that thing heavy as hell, filled with 2 gatorade bottles of water for my dogs, a bottle of water for me, a box of shells, e collar remote, and 3 roosters to top it off and I barely notice there's anything in there.

Marsupial Gear just came out with an upland vest system which also looks good. I'm not sure the perfect vest exists but I keep looking.
I've spent hours contemplating the large upland vest they have, strapping that high up onto my sawtooth45, 3 day minimalist supply and just walk walk walk walk walk the rows, fencelines and fingers, camp where I drop, eating squirrel and pheasant along the way.

Be the perfect pouch for that game and as a foraging basket for huckleberry finn'ing it

TFrank

WKR
I haven’t had any deluxe vests in the past, but I picked up the marsupial upland vest for this season (minus the two water bottle holders). I have used it 3 times this season (can’y wait for pheasants to open in Oct).

I found that the belt makes a huge difference transferring that weight to your hips. The vest is very comfortable. I don’t have any issues with it interfering with my shooting near the shoulders. It is very well built and the Molle options just puts the icing on the cake. I have not yet ran it in conjunction with my Bino harness.

I wish the zippers on the shell pouches where a little stiffer/robust. I wanted to run my left pouch partially open as I walked to easily sneak my fingers in to retrieve shells fast. I noticed the weight of the shells had a tendency to open the pouch up all the way as I walked. I never lost any shells, but I would get a lot of junk in there when in heavy cover. I have the regular shell pouches not the larger ones.

I am pretty damn skinny. I have a lot of excess straps that just blow in the wind on my hip and shoulder strapping. It would have been nice if they included Velcro stays for excess strap like you see on so many back packs these days. Probably do a homemade fix on it.

Overall, no regrets about the purchase. It is a really nice option.

WW would be nice but good luck ordering one. A lot of good options out there. Content with my Orvis vest.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Really happy with my Marsupial Hybrid and like how the snaps compress the bag. The build quality reminds me a lot of kifaru (I assume that’s by design).