Favourite Broad Heads

Deadfall

WKR
P.s. I shoot 8.8 GPI arrows with 125 grain heads. Haven't been able to beat penetration when using sluck trick

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
10000 answers and options. Ideally the answer lies in what poundage , draw length , and how heavy are your arrows . And once all the facts are on, then real suggestions and opinions come in . For me , making sure my bow is tuned perfect is the key. Then I can shoot almost anything I want . And what I think is best is a fixed blade solid broadhead that's sharp . It has no moving parts, solid is quiter then vented and if your bow is tuned, it flies the same as a vented model. And I like 3 or 4 blade cuz it makes a big hole or I use single bevels . I do keep a mechanical if I want to shoot something with a follow up shot beyond 60 or 80, and if its windy. Just my opinions . I like Iron Wills , tooth of the arrows , and kudus . and expandable I like a SEVR . Like I said if your bow is tuned , it opens you up to lots of great options . And my field points fly with my broadheads out to about 70 yards

Last edited:

Badseed

WKR
My vote goes to the ramcat hydroshocks. They fly true and are devastating once in the animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Plus one for the Ram Cat. Nothing I’ve ever hit has walked away from one.

ktg

FNG
I've had great luck with Muzzy Trocar Switch. I won't use an expandable after witnessing one fail horribly.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex expandable heads I think mine are 2 1/2” 100 grains, here is what one did to the fork I shot last weekend. This was the exit hole. Arrow entered through the chest exited opposite side shoulder. They fly just like field points. They also make a stainless head I probably will switch to next year

Attachments

• C1A76756-698F-42D8-9A95-7F8DC4E5F9D8.jpeg
    C1A76756-698F-42D8-9A95-7F8DC4E5F9D8.jpeg
    753.8 KB · Views: 40

rwurdeman

FNG
Find a solid fixed blade that flies accurately out to longer yardage. In my experience, mule deer tend to live in areas that require longer shots. Huge fan of 125 Iron Wills with their sleeves for my 5mm Axis arrow. Are they expensive? Yes, no doubt about it. But why not pay more for thing that is actually doing the killing. A bunch of people get the 'best' bow, the 'best' clothing, the 'best you name it only to skimp on the broadhead. I would much rather have a $500 bow with iron wills upfront vs a $1000 bow with something that is questionable at the end of the arrow. Confidence is huge.

Zszumski

FNG
Hey guys! First time caller long time listener here lol.

Heading out on my first mule deer hunt this coming fall and I'm playing around with a couple different broad heads with my compound. Figured I'd reach out and see what other fellow bow hunters are using to get the job done. I figure its a good way to get some exposure to other broadheads. Thanks in advance!

Any opinions or suggestions on there in comparison to fixed VS. expandable broadheads?

K9popo

FNG
100g Rage Trypan has worked great for me. Arrow weigh in at 463g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to trophy taker ATAC this year, my buck didn't take another step my bull ran 40 yards headlong into a tree after it broke his front shoulder same head for each same replacement bleeder blade. I'll switch that piece out as it's ran some bone but man it's still sharp. I'm sold on the flight, entrance and exit holes. Deer entrance hole was big enough to put 3 fingers in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Block

WKR
Wow always shocked at how much love slick tricks get.. Iv shot them quite a bit at home/targets and they do fly better than most fixed blades Iv tried..Just not a fan of how they piece together.

Iv killed a buck with the G5 Dead Meat and they are great heads minus the fact that they make noise in the quiver and the only way to shut them up is put some wax on the blades or you sound like a wind chime.,, Rage Hypo and Rage NC have made giant holes and deer haven’t gone far.. but these NC will expand in your quiver on occasion.. lame.. I’m probably goin to try the SEVR next

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
No love for G5 Montec 100gr?
That is my go-to. I've killed several deer with them and they keep on performing perfectly. They come semi-sharp from the factory. I always dress the blades before putting them to use.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Hi Gents, Had to join just to jump in on the discussion. If I may piggy back on the OP's inquiry...

I am shooting TX-5 26"DL (T-Rex Arms, haha), DW is probably around 63-65lbs (havent tested it, started at 60 then went up several cranks). I got on this buzz with the Ashby Foundation and Ranch fairy. Their logic seems legit, heavy arrow, high FOC, and a fixed blade. Ranch Fairy has sent me soo many pictures of people shooting 40-60lbs with his recommended arrow setup getting complete pass-throughs on all kinds of large animals.

That being said, and too many hours watching comparison tests on youtube, I decided to purchase some SIK F4's and SK2's. I just recently shot both with my new arrow setup (about 521-522grains w/broadheads). The both shot very, very close to each other and about 2-3" to the right of my field points (could be user error there).

I noticed two things when shooting them both, 1) the SK2 actually penetrated further than the F4. this surprised me. 2) I noticed a slight "whistle" when I shot the SK2.

So my question is, if anyone has shot the SK2, have you noticed any whistle and/or noise when shooting. Also, do you think I may be able to get a pass-through using the SK2 with my shorter fps (DW/DL)?

If anyone has shot the F4's how do they fair in weather?

I'm ramping up for my first BIG bow hunt, traveling to Michigan from the Carolinas to hopefully hit a big boy on the edge of a cornfield where wind can kind of kick up sometimes.

Just trying to get more info from people who have shot either...

As a side note, I loved the testing results from the QAD Exodus 125g's too. It sucks that not many peiople have taken the F4's and SK2's through the ringer like other brands. From what I have seen, I happy I purchased both of the SIK's.