NewFoundland moose meat shipping prices?

Hey all. I'm heading up to newfoundland this coming October for my first moose hunt on the island. Just trying to get everything figured out. Wondering for those that went this past year and had meat shipped back what the total ended up costing. Looks like the prices have went up in the past year. I'm planning to get the meat processed up there with steaks, roasts, tenderloins as well as sausage made in a variety of flavors as well as burger. Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Chet518

FNG
Classified Approved
700 plus for processing depending on sausage etc. 650 +/- to get shipped to the states.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you are driving up, I'd highly recommend bringing the meat back and having it processed in the states.

In 2017, I had my moose meat shipped back. There were leaves and hair in every meat package, meat wasn't trimmed, vacuum packages had alot of broke seals. Sausage didn't taste that great either.

In 2022, I drove and brought my moose quarters back and processed them myself with my Uncle. Totally different product. Only way I would do it in the future.

Last edited:

Chet518

FNG
Classified Approved
If your spending money on your hunt, gear,travel, etc. Prepare yourself for weather and a last minute kill. I drove to the outfitters killed a bull on the last day weather was cool in the morning and warm in the after noon. I'm not going to take a chance on the meat spoiling. I brought coolers if I killed early in the week it wouldn't have been a problem to debone and bring home. I had no choice but to bring the bull to get processed and get shipped back. Scott's farm processed the bull did a great job vacuum sealed clean. They are in Appleton near Gander. Outfitter arranged shipping Newfoundland big game, pick a city on there route go pick it up when it's there simple. Just prepare yourself for a last minute kill. I had sausage made it's good a little bland but not bad. I prefer to make my own. Just remember when you take your moose the journey/work doesn't end. You owe it to the animal to do the right thing. Your not supposed to bring bone in meat to the states just keep that in mind. If I was in your shoes try to find reputable butcher. I used Scott's farm Appleton I would recommend. Ask your outfitter for some references they could steer you in the right direction, depending on your location on the rock. Good luck it's a really awesome experience to kill a bull up close.

kiyooga

FNG
If your spending money on your hunt, gear,travel, etc. Prepare yourself for weather and a last minute kill. I drove to the outfitters killed a bull on the last day weather was cool in the morning and warm in the after noon. I'm not going to take a chance on the meat spoiling. I brought coolers if I killed early in the week it wouldn't have been a problem to debone and bring home. I had no choice but to bring the bull to get processed and get shipped back. Scott's farm processed the bull did a great job vacuum sealed clean. They are in Appleton near Gander. Outfitter arranged shipping Newfoundland big game, pick a city on there route go pick it up when it's there simple. Just prepare yourself for a last minute kill. I had sausage made it's good a little bland but not bad. I prefer to make my own. Just remember when you take your moose the journey/work doesn't end. You owe it to the animal to do the right thing. Your not supposed to bring bone in meat to the states just keep that in mind. If I was in your shoes try to find reputable butcher. I used Scott's farm Appleton I would recommend. Ask your outfitter for some references they could steer you in the right direction, depending on your location on the rock. Good luck it's a really awesome experience to kill a bull up close.
We take a large chest freezer in the back of the truck with small generator. If we stay over some place we park where there is a outlet and plug in. Frozen bottles of water also works. I just love processing my own meat. It's all part of the hunt.

Sunkmanitou

Lil-Rokslider
We take a large chest freezer in the back of the truck with small generator. If we stay over some place we park where there is a outlet and plug in. Frozen bottles of water also works. I just love processing my own meat. It's all part of the hunt.
That is exactly what I plan to do. I will be going with my brothers and we always process our game ourselves.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider

Sounds like the same setup my uncle and I did. It was a fantastic set up! My post with details is here:

miket

FNG
Im headed up there late Sept, so interested as well. I plan on just having it boned out then shipped, I like doing the final processing myself except for sausage since Im not very good at it, and picky about sausage.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Im headed up there late Sept, so interested as well. I plan on just having it boned out then shipped, I like doing the final processing myself except for sausage since Im not very good at it, and picky about sausage.
Different butchers might have different options, but that wasn't an option when I shipped for my first hunt.

The way the shipping worked in the Deer Lake region was they shipped meat once a year to 10 or 15 different cities in the US. You picked the closest city to you, and 4 months after the hunt get a call you come pick the meat up. The pick up point was only a 3 hour drive for me, luckily.

Definitely make sure you talk to your guide and the meat processing place to make sure your plan will work.

miket

FNG
Different butchers might have different options, but that wasn't an option when I shipped for my first hunt.

The way the shipping worked in the Deer Lake region was they shipped meat once a year to 10 or 15 different cities in the US. You picked the closest city to you, and 4 months after the hunt get a call you come pick the meat up. The pick up point was only a 3 hour drive for me, luckily.

Definitely make sure you talk to your guide and the meat processing place to make sure your plan will work.
Just assumed they would do that but hadnt confirmed. Will check it out, thanks

Trial153

WKR
You have to watch some NF processors their cold storage fee is as much as processing. Our outfitter puts our meat in his chest freezer at the float plan base then transfers it over to my truck once it’s frozen that’s providing we are still back at camp hunting.
It’s not uncommon for meat flights to happen mid week while everyone is still in camp. If you don’t have a place to put meat and your pay for cold storage don’t be surprised when your bill is the same as process job