FHF FOB Bino Harness on EXO MTN K4 hip belt

The evolution of gear and abilities to dial stuff in gets better and better. From binos under one arm to the bino buddies to a bino harness. All have been great. But the bino harness down sides.. Ive had a few the older MR model has been my go to for archery through extended trips in AK. But I always feel restricted in my movement and clothing zippers etc when I have the harness on. After getting the K4 this year and the FHF FOB to replace the MR. I started playing with options for mounting. And after a season with successful archery elk hunt and dozens of days on a few different hunts and tons day hikes this is the setup. I love not having the harness straps and weight on my chest. I ran before and now my binos without a attachment cord. The rangefinder on the right hip workes great. Took a little time to build my muscle memory when ranging. I had a really fast setup on a bull and got a range and stowed the rangfinder easier than if it was on my chest. Seams like at the time of a bull coming in I ended up just tucking it behind the bino harness instead of returning in to the pouch on the side of the harness. This setup has it short comings in some situations. My my style/hunts has worked great. Im planning a float moose hunt and with the camp and float portion will be taking my old harness for the ease if having that stuff in a typical chest rig setup. But for most 90% of my hunting This has been a really nice way to carry, save weight, and feel way more comfortable. Ive been a lurker for years and never really see a need to post but wanted to share this.IMG_2961.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2488.jpeg
    IMG_2488.jpeg
    686.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2492.jpeg
    IMG_2492.jpeg
    835.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

prm

WKR
Nice!

While I like the many bino bag designs and functionality, I truly despise wearing an extra harness for the binos and other stuff. Especially when I am already wearing such a capable harness/frame with my pack. I have brought this up to a couple companies with mixed responses.

dster3

FNG
How did you end up mounting this? this is a great idea.

I much prefer to run my FHF harness on my chest for hunting, but for competitions where I'm not needing to have them on me, I hate having a loose harness hanging around inside my pack.

OP
casey.sonora
How did you end up mounting this? this is a great idea.

I much prefer to run my FHF harness on my chest for hunting, but for competitions where I'm not needing to have them on me, I hate having a loose harness hanging around inside my pack.
Just a tautline hitch on some pcord. Wove it a few different ways till I got it where I wanted it. I can even use the phone pouch.

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    742.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 33

ljalberta

WKR
The evolution of gear and abilities to dial stuff in gets better and better. From binos under one arm to the bino buddies to a bino harness. All have been great. But the bino harness down sides.. Ive had a few the older MR model has been my go to for archery through extended trips in AK. But I always feel restricted in my movement and clothing zippers etc when I have the harness on. After getting the K4 this year and the FHF FOB to replace the MR. I started playing with options for mounting. And after a season with successful archery elk hunt and dozens of days on a few different hunts and tons day hikes this is the setup. I love not having the harness straps and weight on my chest. I ran before and now my binos without an attachment cord. The rangefinder on the right hip workes great. Took a little time to build my muscle memory when ranging. I had a really fast setup on a bull and got a range and stowed the rangfinder easier than if it was on my chest. Seams like at the time of a bull coming in I ended up just tucking it behind the bino harness instead of returning in to the pouch on the side of the harness. This setup has it short comings in some situations. My my style/hunts has worked great. Im planning a float moose hunt and with the camp and float portion will be taking my old harness for the ease if having that stuff in a typical chest rig setup. But for most 90% of my hunting This has been a really nice way to carry, save weight, and feel way more comfortable. Ive been a lurker for years and never really see a need to post but wanted to share this.View attachment 670833
I love this idea. I need to figure out how to rig something up and see how much I like it in practice vs conceptually.