Filson Reliance NeoShell

jd1006

WKR
I have been looking for an ideal jacket that has the versatility of being waterproof, windproof, breathable, and lightweight. This piece seems to cover all of those requirements. I have been using it (not in a hunting setup) for a few months. It sure seems like its going to work. I haven’t had a downpour scenario or really windy/cold to test the extremes, but it’s a really nice jacket that hasn’t had much press in the hunting world. I’ve read that neoshell has its limitations and that I might find it not to be as windproof as it claims. I’ll keep updating this as I get more data points.

The fabric is very similar to the Sitka Jetstream, just a little lighter weight. For a waterproof jacket, it does not have that ”crisp“ feeling of a gore-tex jacket, which keeps it quiet. It is a little heavier than a traditional jacket, though.

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
I used it for a backcountry elk trip. It was 25-55degrees, with a decent amount of wind. I didn’t encounter rain on the trip, but i did use it in the rain at home. It was as if you made the Jetstream jacket waterproof. Plus the hood is stowable, which I liked. I didn’t find any big issues with it and was very happy with the windproof and waterproof combo, because I did not need a rain jacket. It’s truly a waterproof soft shell. For $200 it is a steal…and you get Filson’s warranty backing it. The medium I wore is similar to a Large in Sitka Gear and a Medium in First Lite. I wasn’t able to really test the durability of the material…I didn’t snag it on anything. It appears to be durable and the jacket weight is more like a soft shell. It does pack down ok, but not the smallest due to the thicker material. I’d guess it weights around 25 oz.

Yeah I couldn’t resist the price and picked one up. It seems really solid. I’ve only been wearing it for a few days, but it’s awesome so far. It’s way more breathable than my old mountain hardwear gore-Tex paclite and seems slightly more breathable than a browning rain slayer that I have.

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
That’s where I saw that price, as well. I’m not surprised it didn’t sell well at the original price. Neoshell is a proven fabric, it’s just more expensive and there are less companies using it because gore has edged them out.

I use my neoshell jacket (MH Cyclone ) for skiing mainly. It does everything pretty well except block the wind. If the wind is howling it is no bueno in my opinion. I also have an older Rab that is no longer waterproof no matter what I treat it with. It is a good fabric, just has some limitations like all other fabrics.

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
I like the breathability…for a jacket that can keep you dry and you can hike in, it hits a sweet spot for me.

feanor

WKR
Any more on this jacket in terms of field use? Is the fit too bulky being relaxed? Am I right that it doesn’t have a fleece backer inside?

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
Neoshell has a fleece-lack backing. I wouldn’t call it relaxed fitting…it’s not sloppy if you get the right size. Filson sizes are generally more generous. I’m large for jackets in Sitka and KUIU and a medium in First Lite. I went with a medium for this Filson jacket. It’s performed in the rain, it cuts wind well, the only thing I haven’t done is bust a lot of brush.

I’m 5’ 10 and about 185 and the medium fits well. I can fit a puffy jacket underneath but it’s kind of snug. I think the large would be too big for me.

I’ve haven’t used it a ton yet but I did notice it was really breathable when I was scouting whitetails a few weeks ago in 40 degree rainy weather. I was able to comfortably hike with it and a merino hoody layer.

The lining is “brushed tricot”. It feels like a really light fleece lining, which is nice because it doesn’t feel clammy when just wearing a t-shirt.

feanor

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. Definitely mulling this jacket over in the quest for the most efficient layers.

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
I’ve had it in the woods a few times. It’s softer than the best gore-tex, but it is holding up fine. It has Filson standing behind it, so, if there are excessive wear issues, they should stand behind it.

It's pretty easy to get into Filson's Pro Program if you're First Responder, LEO, or an Outdoor Writer, and then you get some awesome discounts.

OP
J

jd1006

WKR
Went for an hour hike today with 70lbs in my pack. Top layers were a Brinje Wool fishnet tshirt, Patagonia Nano Light Hoody, and the Filson Reliance. It was about 5-10 degrees with a below zero windchill. My phone was in the chest pocket of the Reliance and it had moisture droplets on from the layers moving the moisture…I was pretty impressed with how moisture was moving out of the jacket. When stopped, didn’t feel the wind, and eventually unzipped the pit zips for a bit. Jacket stayed nice and pliable even in that cold of temps. After the hike, I was mostly dry in about 30 min with a little moisture in my mid layer.