finally, my first elk.

gethuntin

WKR
So were you backpacking in when teh snows rolled in or day hunts. If you were staying overnight what type of tent and bag/pad combos were you using for those 8 degree nights. Sorry if you mentioned it but i started to skim.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
thanks guys, it was an awesome finish to the season and my FIL said it was a hunt he'll never forget, i didn't realize he's wanted to take an elk since he was young....and even better he thinks it tastes amazing

So were you backpacking in when teh snows rolled in or day hunts. If you were staying overnight what type of tent and bag/pad combos were you using for those 8 degree nights. Sorry if you mentioned it but i started to skim.

i was doing day trips as the area i was hunting was only an hour from my house

im sure if you make a post about winter camping some people here will have some insight for you.....for a tent i think a kifaru megatarp with annex and small stove would have done great, but i havent tried that, just my thoughts

MT_Nate

FNG
Great story. I didn't scroll to the pictures first...:)

As everyone's said, afer the first one, they start coming a bit easier. The things you learn that actually worked don't necessarily always work every time, but the things you learn that have NEVER worked saves you time during the next hunt and make the job easier. So don't forget the things that didn't work! Good luck next year!

RUTTIN

WKR
Congrats, you will never forget your first! Now next year I am sure we will see a picture of a bull, with you and your bow behind it. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
thanks guys.....sure hope your all right and next year ill have my bull down with a bow