Finally ready for a “wall tent” style tent… Kodiak canvas 12x12?

Michael54

WKR
My 10x14 kodiak works for 3 people and gear. But its tight. For 4 people you want to go bigger for sure

Last edited:
Reactions: NB7
I’ve spent my share of nights in tipis, 10x12 wall, 12x15 wall, and I own a 14x16 wall.

Just got done with a hunt where it was my buddy and me, his 3 dogs (sigh), plus a stove and cooking table. We were crammed in there like sardines. Weight was an issue so we didn’t bring the 14x16 since it’s 2x as heavy.

You could make a 10x12 work for 3 guys IF you go with a bunk cot setup like the discobed. It’ll still be tight. A 10x12 with 2 guys, gear, and stove is fine if you’re using a discobed bunk cot.

You’ll definitely want a tent setup that has the ability to have a floor or not. Trust me, when it gets dirty, it’s nice to sometimes not have a floor since it doesn’t buy you anything. If you’re in an area where it can be maintained clean, a drop in floor is great.

In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with an internal frame wall tent for a truck base camp.

Good luck with your choice

3sdad

FNG
I have a 10x14 kodiak flexbow. Its great for 2 people with cots on opposite ends. 2 guys can set it up in 10 minutes. Staking it down is a must. I use a mr buddy heater and it works good. My recommendation would be getting 2 of the deluxe models. Pretty great truck camping option in my experience. Good luck

Alright now I’m sort of leaning Davis 14x15 or even 12x15 with a cook shack?

Still a little concerned with the lack of a true floor for family camping in the warmer months however. Completely comfortable with floorless in Oct in the Rockies, but in Ohio in May and Sept the wife might prefer a sewn in floor.
You can get a floor for a Davis...I have one for my 14x16...Its not sewn in but works well.

NB7

WKR
I have a Kodiak 10x14. I would say it's roomy and perfect for 2 people (cots, gear, a small table and a heater). Several pros including ease of set up, cost, and modularity. Also, a Big Buddy heater works good in it because the breathability of the canvas helps mitigate condensation from the propane being burned. Not 100%, but it helps. My son and I shared elk camp last year in one and it was a good set up. I think 3 is doable but it would definitely be a tight squeeze. No way could I see 4 in there. Oh and the rubberized floor can be mighty cold. We throw a cheap outdoor carpet down for a little extra comfort.
20210913_143948.jpg
20210913_144002.jpg

This past season 4 of us used my brother-in-laws 12x20 Alaknak with vestibule. After installing 2 small tables near the door, a cylinder woodstove, and 4 cots, it was perfect for 4 and gear. It held up to some pretty strong gusts one night too. It's lightweight and easy to put up, we had it standing in about 20 mins, then it's just a matter of adjusting the tensioners. However I would say the biggest drawback is the material. We used a woodstove so there was no issue, but if you were running a buddy style heater you would absolutely be dealing with a dripping ceiling. It also doesn't "hold" the heat as well as canvas. Also, later seasons I'd be a little nervous with a heavy snow load, as it's not on an internal frame like a canvas wall tent. If I were going to buy a tent that size I'd want to go canvas. But for our conditions it worked out great and was easy to use.
20221016_112613_2 (1).jpg

20221018_132146 alt.jpg

Last edited:

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kodiak 10x14. I would say it's roomy and perfect for 2 people (cots, gear, a small table and a heater). Several pros including ease of set up, cost, and modularity. Also, a Big Buddy heater works good in it because the breathability of the canvas helps mitigate condensation from the propane being burned. Not 100%, but it helps. My son and I shared elk camp last year in one and it was a good set up. I think 3 is doable but it would definitely be a tight squeeze. No way could I see 4 in there. Oh and the rubberized floor can be mighty cold. We throw a cheap outdoor carpet down for a little extra comfort.
View attachment 469253
View attachment 469254

This past season 4 of us used my brother-in-laws 12x20 Alaknak with vestibule. After installing 2 small tables near the door, a cylinder woodstove, and 4 cots, it was perfect for 4 and gear. It held up to some pretty strong gusts one night too. It's lightweight and easy to put up, we had it standing in about 20 mins, then it's just a matter of adjusting the tensioners. However I would say the biggest drawback is the material. We used a woodstove so there was no issue, but if you were running a buddy style heater you would absolutely be dealing with a dripping ceiling. It also doesn't "hold" the heat as well as canvas. Also, later seasons I'd be a little nervous with a heavy snow load, as it's not on an internal frame like a canvas wall tent. If I were going to buy a tent that size I'd want to go canvas. But for our conditions it worked out great and was easy to use.
View attachment 469255

View attachment 469258
How is it sleeping with that crate foam on the cot? Also where did you get that shelf stretched across the top of the tent in that second photo?

sndmn11

WKR
I'd try and buy @sneaky 's tent because I know the hands that built it...

I no longer have a canvas wall tent, but still love them. I went to Seek Outside Courthouse due to packed size and weight. We do a hunt every year in friends' Davis tents and they have a lot of great things going for them.

With a $2k budget I'd try and find a great used deal, and buy a new one so I have two and some versatility.

Take a look at Snowtrekker tents. They use 7oz marine canvas which is lighter than other tents. Super packable and great for truck camping.

NB7

WKR
How is it sleeping with that crate foam on the cot? Also where did you get that shelf stretched across the top of the tent in that second photo?
The foam pad is extremely comfortable. It's a little bulky to pack along, but I think I actually sleep better in that giant cot with that thick pad than I do at home. Well worth the 40ish I paid for it.

The shelf I found on Kodiak's website. They call call it a gear loft. Convenient way to lay out clothes to dry. Plus you can just unhook one side and it will roll right up in the tent when you pack it up.

NDGuy

WKR
I have a 10x14 kodiak flexbow. Its great for 2 people with cots on opposite ends. 2 guys can set it up in 10 minutes. Staking it down is a must. I use a mr buddy heater and it works good. My recommendation would be getting 2 of the deluxe models. Pretty great truck camping option in my experience. Good luck
How's the moisture in those?

3sdad

FNG
How's the moisture in those?
The only moisture i have noticed is from the rubber bottom where its seamed to the canvas and the zipper where i run the propane hose for the heater. I run am 18k btu buddy heater and it will run you out of there on high. I also have the deluxe model so i have vents on every door/wall. I just crack them a little and have never had an issue. I track in more water than anything else. Using the gear loft or paracord as a clothsline i can get everything dry overnight. I have woke up to 4" of snow and been comfortable.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'll be in my new KC 10x10 Flexbow with vestibule, hopefully next weekend for
Muzzleloader season.
I hunt alone, 99.9% of the time so it should be plenty.

t_carlson

WKR
I just got a Kodiak 12x12 cabin-style tent this year. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll probably use it next week hunting deer. Haven't decided if I'm going to use a wood stove or a Buddy heater. I do know my old army surplus tent heats very well with just a Buddy heater, even in very cold temps, but it has a liner and is made from heavy canvas.

The Kodiak tents had good reviews online. A few people even lived in them for months while they were building a house. Supposedly good in the wind, too.

I thought about getting an Alaknak, but recent reviews on the Cabela's website says they don't hold up very well and getting warranty work is a hassle. I think maybe the quality has dropped off since Bass Pro took over.

3sdad

FNG
As far as wind goes, they're pretty good. I did have mine blow down and rip 2 holes in it. I think my aluminum cot was missing the end cap and created a tear in the tent. Anyway, it was a pretty intense wind. I took it to a local canvas place and they got it back together for 60 bucks or so. A definite benefit of canvas is the ability for repairs

thejones

WKR
I would buy a Kodiak Canvas 10x14, and have your hunting buddy buy one also. You will have plenty of room for 4 that way, and then if you go by yourself, then you can set it up solo. Plus you will each have a tent for less than a large wall tent would cost.

I have an Elk Mountain 13x16 with 5 ft side walls. Most time just two of us and have plenty of room for cots, cooler, cooking table and other table for stuff and run 25,000 btu LP stove for heat. With 3 big guys we move one table outside and do the cooking in or out. With 4 men still all using cots and LP or wood heater were good for a base camp with a tarp as a VersaTube. to set cooler under and cook. Have had since 2015 use in Virginia, Nebraska deer rifle season. Also, Colorado 2 and 3 rifle as well as Dec / Jan Georgia deer and hogs. No floor I bought one of those Cheap green tarps from Harbor Freight Co. Put it down for a floor pulling it about 6" up side walls and rear wall have actually had water pool up under it about 1" deep and has never leaked inside. Also, they use a truss roof system with cables that are great to hang stuff to dry..