Finally...

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Now for the elk - I decided to make only 2 trips but that was probably not the smartest idea. First load was 118lbs and the second was 105lbs - without the trekking poles I probably would have hurt myself. I am sold on these things - call me what you want!!!
The draw or ravine ended up being 157 yards across and 70 yards deep from the road side and 81 yards deep from the side were my elk was. I am no expert in geometry but that’s plenty steep in my book.
Here are a few more pictures of the pack out and once I got him back to the truck:
IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

Last edited:
OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Thanks for the kind words and coming along for the story - sorry if it was a bit long or drawn out.

Also, thanks to In God We Trust, Jim, it was nice to bounce some ideas back and forth since I was hunting alone.

Actually - in hind sight I probably should have named this "Better lucky than Good" as that has kind of been a running theme this year...

Last edited:

hobbes

WKR
I left Leadville in 2011. Its hard to forget those two mountains after looking at them everyday for almost 5 years. I never spent any time in 49, but I believe you can see those two mountains (in 48) from anywhere along the top of 49.

Congrats on the bull!

JNDEER

WKR
Great read and awesome job on the bull..... Nothing wrong with a little road hunting in the mix of things.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Great story. Goes to show that you need to be flexible and willing to move around. Not sure if I would describe this as a backcountry walk in hunt or a road hunt in the truck. In either case, you paid your dues. Congrats.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Thanks again - I originally had not planned to come out until there was an elk down or the season ended but plans change. My only regret was tagging out on the first night - still had way too much country I wanted to see. On the otherhand, I have screwed up way too many opportunities in the past so there was no way I could pass up on this one.

Here are a few pictures of the skull and rack - since I tagged out early I spent the rest of my vacation at home, butchered the meat and boiled/bleached the skull.
Skull photo II.jpg

Skull photo I.jpg