Finding a camping location

RobertsA

FNG
This October I’ll be doing a diy pack in hunt In Colorado and I’m curious as to what everyone looks for when deciding where to camp.

How far away from your spot you’ve picked out and camp higher or lower than your hunting area? Forested or open area ?

All advice welcome. Thanks

I look for a lower ridge surrounded by higher ridges with elk trails all around and hopefully some water near by. Hearing elk bugle all night with occasional coyote packs going off and all the other sounds of the night is pretty cool as you doze off with thoughts of killing a bull tomorrow enter your dreams.

OP
R

RobertsA

FNG
I look for a lower ridge surrounded by higher ridges with elk trails all around and hopefully some water near by. Hearing elk bugle all night with occasional coyote packs going off and all the other sounds of the night is pretty cool as you doze off with thoughts of killing a bull tomorrow enter your dreams.
That does sound quite enticing. Definitely wouldn’t be able to sleep a wink if I heard an elk bugle lol

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Heard this before and it made sense. Camp lower than where you expect the elk to be if possible. If you head out in the a.m. and don't get back until dark, the thermals will always be pulling your scent down anytime you're in camp. If you return to camp midday regularly, this method will not be as effective.

Camp away from large dead trees! They are called "Widow Makers" for a reason. Colorado winds blow dead trees over every day. Live trees too. Really check out the surrounding trees when making camp.

Poser

WKR
Camp away from large dead trees! They are called "Widow Makers" for a reason. Colorado winds blow dead trees over every day. Live trees too. Really check out the surrounding trees when making camp.

We had a fatality just last week on the CO Trail just North of Durango when a tree fell on a hiker sleeping in her tent.

Savage99

WKR
I like to locate very near a water source. I know it sounds elementary but you won't want to have to trek for water every night and/or morning.

Spruce trees provide the best wind break. The dead pines fall frequently, aspens drop branches like old news. Avoid pitching camp directly in tall grass or the lowest spot in a meadow.

I sencond on the camping away from dead trees. You can't always tell if a tree is dead but if where you look to camp you see several trees down already, probably best not to camp there. I also like the idea of hunting up if possible. Easier to carry game down to camp than up to camp. Near water is good too but don't camp too close to it either. If you are camping with your vehicle in a NF I belive you are required to camp within a 150 ft of the centerline of the forest service road.