Finding deer in AZ

Looking to make the trip to AZ for mulies in January.

What terrain features/water sources/ vegetation should we keep our eyes out for that have a good chance of holding deer?

If it helps, we will be in the southeast part of the state. We know nothing about mule deer other than internet knowledge and Mike Duplan’s book “The Edge”. This will be our first big mule deer trip, so just hoping to figure out how to find them.

dtrkyman

WKR
Water! And in January I find deer on east facing slopes soaking up the sun on cold mornings. Colder the better.

BBob

WKR
That book being about high country mule deer may not fully prepare you for the desert hunts your headed out to. A little bit different down there. Lots of land in SE AZ is private so do your research there. Lots of public is landlocked by private in some areas. You'll potentially find them from the flanks of the mountain ranges on down into the desert floor. Find your glassing spots and glass a lot. With the rut they'll be herded up and easier to find.

Check out "Deer of the Southwest" by Jim Heffelfinger.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jbxl20

WKR
Good luck! I would love to deer hunt AZ. I’m from PA but I was out there in February messing around hiking and looking for deer. I learned a spotting scope is a must to see anything before they see you. Here’s a pic of me looking for somewhere to hang my tree stand. 🤔

Attachments

• 59F71720-781E-435E-A534-3886FB19A880.jpeg
    59F71720-781E-435E-A534-3886FB19A880.jpeg
    595.8 KB · Views: 64

Micawber

FNG
I tagged along this year on a deer hunt with some friends who live there and hunt it every year. Glass from a high vantage point. It’s amazing how that desert can hide animals. Get comfortable, they pack in folding chairs, like those three legged blind stools. The glass of choice was the SLC 15’s on a sturdy tripod. You can glass an area for hours and become convinced nothing is there until all of the sudden you catch a big buck moving through a wash.

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
You'll have blast, Glass in the shadows of the Juniper bushes. The deer move in the morning, and rotate around the bushes to stay in the shade, they aren't out sunbathing. Good luck and hope you have a good experience. It's fun watching your buddies blow stalks and knowing they have to climb back up the mountain.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I've learned from hunting other animals and then accidentally bumping multiple bucks, that the big bucks actually aren't near water during the daylight hours. That's why they are big bucks and not dead. Most hunters stick to hunting around water sources, or in that general area. The big bucks will go get their water at night and avoid hunters during the day. So don't bank on water immediately in your area. I'd stay within a 5-10 mile radius of a water hole, but not directly on any water holes. And if there is any rain or snow, don't even waste your time sitting on water holes. All bets are off.

I get a high view point, settle in and glass, and glass, and glass. Also, I've seen muley's out in the middle of the day on the move. Sometimes they are bedding, sometimes they are on the move. Don't just assume they are bedding down during the middle of the day. I get out early before light and set up. I usually stay out until about 11 am, then go get lunch. I then come back by 1 in the afternoon and get set up for my late afternoon/evening hunt and stay out until dark. You can see animals all day long - no guarantee they are bedding down.

If its cold, look for them to be getting sun. If its hot, look for them to be in the shade. I've seen them funnel down through valleys, so if you are setting up an ambush spot, make sure you can get a good shot as they funnel right down through a valley.

That's my $0.02.