Finding does, just no bucks.

N9Line

FNG
Can anybody give me any advice on this?
I've seen about 35 does and 6 fawns, but no bucks in my 2 scouting trips.

Is there something that I'm missing?
Last year I saw about 20 does throughout the season and only 1 buck that was legal and a spike.

Last year I think I was just rushing it.. this year, I've slowed down, taken my time and really glassed everything that I can see and I feel like I'm missing something still..

Bucks are in velvet now and in bachelor groups. They're generally very visible in July, August and September. However, they're typically separated from females, by a large margin. Sounds like you're looking in the wrong spot.

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
Anecdotal, but I've had an easier time spotting bucks on my early morning glassing sessions vs evening/sunset sessions. This has been the case for me in the desert and alpine country I've scouted. Could be due to the cooler morning temperatures, which they feel comfortable in compared to the warm afternoon/evenings.

There's one east-facing mountainside in my unit I've glassed on three occasions this summer, twice in the evening, once in the morning. The evening glass sessions were uneventful until about 30 minutes before sunset. The sunrise trip I took up there had bucks out in the daylight until 9:00 AM. It was amazing how easily they could be spotted with their orange coats "spotlighted" in the morning sun.

dtrkyman

WKR
In the desert they are not moving much in the day light, mornings are better for me as far as spotting any, I typically am not seeing any does when I find bucks.

They also often bed at daylight and then move when the shadows change, looking into the shade from different angles helps but they are often bedded where you simply can not see them, you have to catch them swapping beds.

15s on a tripod go a long way!

Early season deer in the desert are frustrating!

Mojave

WKR
You must be talking about jackalopes, it has been a very long time since I have seen a buck.

hobbes

WKR
Two scouting trips in summer - 35 does, 6 fawns
One hunting season - 20 does, 1 spike buck

Advice - Scout and hunt somewhere else.

How many days did you hunt? How much ground did you cover? How much glassing did you do? Is the area conducive to glassing? Is the area known for producing mature bucks?

If you hunted a lot, the area offers good glassing, you covered a lot of ground, it is known for producing good bucks or at least a lot of bucks, you need to expand your search.

TaperPin

WKR
The mule deer does and fawns take the better/easier forage and the bucks are higher, or in rougher areas with more marginal forage.

That doesn’t mean they are a long way away. In this picture the does may be as high or higher than the bucks. The bucks will be in the rocky areas where they can lie down and hide in short brush and look out. It’s always a good idea to spend time looking carefully at all brushy, rocky ridge areas, wait 15 minutes and look at it all again.

Having said that, I’d consider this to be poor choice to spend time on - if there are similar rocky outcrops up on top that’s ideal - big old deer like to look down from a good perch.

At least you know where bucks are not!

Attachments

• 77D732F7-8BEF-4469-9F48-A4D14E10EE9F.jpeg
    77D732F7-8BEF-4469-9F48-A4D14E10EE9F.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 30