Finished her!

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
This'll probably be the only heirloom quality rifle I'll own, but it's mine & i did it how I want and I couldn't be happier!
She started life as a very badly Bubba'd Sears Model 52. Literally held together with Phillips machine screws & grade 5 bolts.
20190204_104150(0).jpg
I bought a stock on ebay that looked like it had potential under the quarter inch of spar varnish, sent the action to ER Shaw for a true up & rebarrel. Sanded & hand pulled the stock then fired it off to Ahlman's for the checkering & Gareth West at GTs Customizing in Casper did the bluing & color case hardening.

It's a massive extravagance, really, but I've always wanted a fine walnut rifle!

B23

WKR
I'm usually not much of a wood guy but that sure is pretty, nice job, and I've always been a 6.5 Swede fan.

Beautiful, just beautiful! What a great cartridge also. Can't wait to see how it shoots and pictures from this coming fall when you take her out hunting again!!

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Looks amazing! What did you use for a finish on the wood?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks! Long story.... I applied 38 coats of traditional London oil, which it transpires was a contaminated batch. All that work had to be stripped & I ended up applying a further 26 coats of thinned Tru-Oil. Sanded between each coat & finished with rotten stone polish.

Wapiti1

WKR
Well done. Great choice on the color cased bottom metal.

Been there with boiled linseed oil that didn't work right. Gummy, sticky, nasty shit. If you do another try Permalyn or Gun Sav'r finishes. Both are nice to work with. I like them better than tru-oil.

Take a toothbrush with a light dip of finish to the checkering to burnish it. That will get rid of the fuzzy look. Although, that look might be just be the photo.

Really nice.

Jeremy

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Take a toothbrush with a light dip of finish to the checkering to burnish it. That will get rid of the fuzzy look. Although, that look might be just be the photo.

Really nice.

Jeremy

Thanks for the advice! It is a little furry, but I was so concerned about buggering something up, I was kinda stuck in analysis paralysis trying to work out how to deal with it.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I love a fine wood stock. Of the dozen bolt guns that I own only two wear a synthetic stock, and only one or two of my chunks of wood could possibly compete with what you have. Not to mention that old swede will do anything you need it to short of dangerous game. Definitely a heirloom, congrats.

...Also, that red pad and those flush mount sling studs add the perfect finishing touches.

Give us an update with how the shaw barrel shoots. Seems like they have really been updating their facility lately. Only a few hours from me.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Give us an update with how the shaw barrel shoots. Seems like they have really been updating their facility lately. Only a few hours from me.

I will! I've had a couple of barrels from them in the past & they both shot spectacular groups. I'd love to have the money to be a barrel snob, but Shaw's seem to offer excellent quality for a really good price.