Finished her!

ChrisAU

WKR
Dang, that is sweet. I’ve had some “nice” walnut rifles but never one that has scratched that itch. I doubt I’m the only one that thinks it HAS to have either a Leupold or nice Euro glass on it to complete the product. Well done!

Wrench

WKR
I haven't messed with it in a while, but we used to cut truoil with armor-all and it reduced the dry time about a zillion percent.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I haven't messed with it in a while, but we used to cut truoil with armor-all and it reduced the dry time about a zillion percent.

I read about that on a guitar building site, of all places. Those guys REALLY know how to finish wood! I was tempted to try it, but after the screw up with the London oil, I was reluctant to try anything out of the ordinary.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I'll take all your other rifles since you won't be using them . Man that's a good looking rifle.

Dog will hunt, dog will hunt.

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks for the advice! It is a little furry, but I was so concerned about buggering something up, I was kinda stuck in analysis paralysis trying to work out how to deal with it.
I did forget to mention to thin the finish for the checkering so it soaks it in deeper, and doesn't build up in the corners. You can dry brush it first to clean out some fuzz, then apply finish with the brush.

Jeremy

Thanks for the advice! It is a little furry, but I was so concerned about buggering something up, I was kinda stuck in analysis paralysis trying to work out how to deal with it.

Tru-Oil on a Q-tip can lightly be applied to the checkering and I don't feel like it fills in the checkering thus taking away that sharpness of the diamonds and lessening the grip provided by the checkering. I used it on a couple of my rifles and was very happy with how it turned out.

This might be even better to use. I used it on a couple rifles recently and it has worked very well and appears to protect the wood from soaking up moisture and it gives the checkering a nice finish.

Totally Bamboo Mineral Oil - Food safe mineral oil for cutting boards, chopping blocks, and wood knife handles. It is a more refined mineral oil that has been refined more than typical mineral oil according to the question/answer page on their web-site. I recently used it on a couple of my stocks on my Model 70 and a Ruger 1B. It looks nice and does not appear to fill in the checkering like some finishes might. The wood absorbs it nicely and it gives the checkering a nice look. It also seems to repeal water nicely. It has not had any reaction on the factory finish as far as I can tell either. I used a Q-Tip to apply by putting some oil on the tip and lightly dabbing and not rubbing the checkering in applying it.