Fire on bolt closing

B23

WKR
I'm no gunsmith, so it's a little hard to know what to look for. I plan on following installation instructions to the letter when I install the new one and I'll leave it at that.

You can wiggle the trigger blade back and forth just a bit. It's like it won't reset some of the time after firing.
This will help you understand what to look for and where to look for it at as well as explain the working order of everything. https://shoot-on.com/your-101-course-in-remington-700-factory-triggers/

It could be that your trigger is gumed up and or dirty as well as lacking sear engagement. Douching the trigger assembly with brake cleaner and blowing it out with compressed air would be a good start. Increasing sear engagement is also an easy task. You may end up with a bit of creep/pretravel but that'll be better then to little sear engagement resulting in a trigger that involuntarily goes off on its own.

the Tikka safety completely blocks the firing pin with a big chunk of metal. Remington design does not. this article has lots of links to others and videos where Walker talks about the problems, and how Remington ignored his recommendations to make the triggers cheaper:

here's a more technical explanation: https://www.700rifle.com/threads/remington-walker-trigger-explanation.19289/
very good article, i understand now. the only 700 i have is a mark x trigger so its not effected.

i remember they had a recall on them but mine is post recall, and actually adjusts to a very nice 2.5 pounds. I have seen other x mark triggers that would not adjust to under 8 pounds, no joke.

I would not care how the trigger has performed in the past. I would replace with a Trigger Tech, Super 700 or a Timney. I don't think you will mind any of those.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I appreciate the technical articles posted, I learned a few things and I need to sit down and really study that design.

New trigger gets here on Saturday.

parshal

WKR
What you describe is the sear engagement. It needs more if there's not something wrong with it. You mention the trigger was worked on. It's probable that sear engagement is too little just as others have said.

When installing triggers with adjustable sear engagement I use a rubber mallet around the action to test if it's enough. I'll adjust more engagement until the hammer doesn't drop. I used to do it by dropping the cocked rifle on the buttstock from about 8". I had a couple, when set that way, that would drop the hammer if the bolt was run fast and hard.

Get a trigger like a Bix 'N Andy that has adjustable sear engagement. There are bunch out there.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
20230722_205838.jpg
20230722_205827.jpg Got it installed today.

I know there aren't a ton of M7s out there, but a 700 trigger does fit with little issue. I actually managed to remove my bolt release lever from my old trigger and snap it into the new, as the attachment points are the same. Looks like I'll have 100% function of the bolt release. I do have a little filing to do in the safety area, as the 700 safeties sit just a bit outboard compared to an M7.

Initial impressions of this trigger are good, but I don't really have enough use to say too much. I'll get it put back together this week and see how it goes.

If anyone is interested, I bought this one from Charlie's Custom Clones. He's still got a few. They are not cheap, though!

Reactions: NSI