First Antelope Hunt New Mexico

Hey Guys,

New to Rokslide. Looking for some pointers on antelope hunting. This will be my first antelope hunt this year. I have a few questions below but if you have any other tips they would be appreciated! Thanks

Best caliber?
Camo needed?
How to judge a good size antelope?
Typical shot range?

Welcome to the forum. To generate more responses to your thread you may want to check this out.

Also, we kill most of our antelope with a 6.5cm and a 7mm-08. Our typical range is anywhere from 100 to 500+.

hdc77

FNG
Classified Approved
Welcome and good luck. Get pants with knee pads, and take any rifle you shoot well. We’ve shot them with anything from 22/250 to 300 Norma. Personally I stay away from bonded bullets, I like something that expands quickly, just my personal choice by no means something you need to do. I’ll be there late August doing the same.

Last edited:
Good luck with your hunt, if you haven't hunted yet.
Good comments above on calibers and yardage. I like the 6.5 PRC. My dad likes the 280 Rem. My grandfather used a 30-06.
Camo - sometimes it's hard to know if camo is more for the buyer or more for the game animal, but I like to match camo based on the terrain. Fabric materials have come a long way. If it's going to be hot get something that breathes.
Use the pronghorn's ears for reference as to length of the horns. I recommend some higher magnification on binos or spotting scope to help gauge.

OP
G
Welcome and good luck. Get pants with knee pads, and take any rifle you shoot well. We’ve shot them with anything from 22/250 to 300 Norma. Personally I stay away from bonded bullets, I like something that expands quickly, just my personal choice by no means something you need to do. I’ll be there late August doing the same.
Thanks, did you have any luck on your hunt?

OP
G
Good luck with your hunt, if you haven't hunted yet.
Good comments above on calibers and yardage. I like the 6.5 PRC. My dad likes the 280 Rem. My grandfather used a 30-06.
Camo - sometimes it's hard to know if camo is more for the buyer or more for the game animal, but I like to match camo based on the terrain. Fabric materials have come a long way. If it's going to be hot get something that breathes.
Use the pronghorn's ears for reference as to length of the horns. I recommend some higher magnification on binos or spotting scope to help gauge.
Thanks, I hunt the end of this month. Im headed out to scout around my area pretty soon. A lot of people really like the prc for a lot of animals. Think I’m going to start looking for one lol

hdc77

FNG
Classified Approved
That’s great, you’ll have a blast, pronghorn is my favorite animal to chase. Keep up posted.