First backpack hunt, first archery harvest, AZ Coues

Sobrbiker

WKR
Lots of firsts this week: first hike in camp on my back hunt, first completely solo DIY hunt, and even better: FIRST ARCHERY KILL, and even better: FIRST ARCHERY COUES!!

I got all my gear together and set up my Mystery Ranch Pintler pack to haul camp in a 55L dry bag, drove up Wed night to a spot in the center of AZ and hiked in by the moonlight and set up camp. Saw a couple deers’ eyeballs checking me out-amazing how bright their eyes glow from just a headlamp pointed their way!
I hunted Thurs morning, mainly still hunting the juniper flats somewhere in good Coues country in 21. Spotted 2 little bucks: a small 3X and an even smaller forkie, frolicking and feeding with a doe.
I maneuvered around and walked into a small clearing between bushes at 72yds. Being an old guy I took a second to figure which was the 3X and as soon as my pin started to settle on his chest, both deer quartered away and walked on.
I had underestimated my water consumption and hiked/hunted a trip back to Jeep for more water, then still hunting again Thurs late afternoon bumped a nice buck but didn’t get a shot.
I realized my experiment in hiking camp in (only a mile or so from Jeep) was gonna deplete my time and water, so I decided I’d pack up Fri morning and find a spot I could camp by my water supply.
After getting everything packed up and on my back Fri morning, I figured I’d carry a nocked arrow on the hike because it’s my luck I’d get a chance if I didn’t for sure!
About 1/4mi from Jeep I came around a corner to see a decent buck about 40yds looking right at me. I froze and when he turned his head a bit I went to hook my release and he whipped his head right at me, then showed me his nice white ass, tail held high and was gone.
I got to the Jeep, set my bow on the hood, dropped the 70lbs I’d been packing. I fired up the Jeep and turned on the AC, downed a good amount of water and when I started putting gear away.
Then I saw him, or I should saw his rack-about a 100yds away standing broadside on the track I’d just hiked out on was a grey ghost with a rack as wider than his ears. I couldn’t believe it, he just stood there. I grabbed my rangefinder and bow and stepped behind the edge of a juniper. He was standing there looking tight at me. I ranged him at 94yds, dialed my MBG ascent, drew back and sidestepped into a perfect “at the range” form and he lowered his head to grab a bite and I let fly.
Again, I’m bifocal old (53) so I can’t see where my arrow went, but he busted left and I heard what I thought was my arrow impacting the prickly pear he was by.
I waited a bit then went down and didn’t see any blood, couldn’t find my arrow in the cactus or bushes, then saw it in the middle of the track about 25ft further down. I picked it up, and holy crap, there was blood on the 125gr Exodus, shaft, fletching and nock!!
I saw no blood on ground where he had been and only two tracks where he pushed off. No blood apparent for about the 10yds I looked at in the direction he went, and my heart sank. My worst fear of not being able to recover an injured animal, and learning to track, with any chance of help 6 hours minimum away in 100* heat loomed before me.
I went to Jeep, secured my gear, got pack setup for a lengthy search and recovery, feeling excited and sick to my stomach at the same time. I gave him an hour to not bump him if wounded and set at it.
I was kind of gridding in the direction he went, looking in vain for any blood or tracks for about 10yds, when I looked up to see where the game trail I was assuming he took in the grass and rock went when I saw a velvet rack poking out from behind a rock about 50ft ahead of me.
You can’t imagine my amazement, relief and delight when I found him with a perfect boiler room pass through that dropped him about 95ft from where he was when I hit him!!
Not huge, but a great old warrior with torn up ears, and an awesome older representative buck of mid-state high desert Coues.
Backstraps and quarters are aging in the fridge at 39* and I had the tastiest grilled tenderloins last night!!
Sorry for the long post, but I didn’t have buddies at camp to share the stories with!!
B40A341A-08C5-4C91-B21B-61C7EB49BB1B.jpegBF0D83DE-FC00-41B6-AE00-11918EC0DA8F.jpegA55B1057-0AF0-4231-A0E9-CE1BBFADB51C.jpegE55480C3-EBA5-4D6F-B8D7-E08BC8628E68.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Specs for the archery folks: 60# Elite Tempo, 450gr total arrow weight at 255fps, 125gr Exodus, “noisy” Blazers on $120/12 300 spine Victory V-Force Gamers (12% FOC).

Last edited:
OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
By the way, much thanks to the Rokslide members, writers, podcasts (among many other online resources) for both the knowledge, gear and confidence that got this old guy from never holding a bow before last October to a point that made this possible.

HuntWyld

WKR
94 yard shot on a coues is impressive sir. I’m always pleased to see people be honest about taking long shots in the field. With technology advancements and modern equipment there is no reason we can’t keep driving progression in archery. Shooters shoot.

Northpark

WKR
Man I was feeling good at 70 but good on you for being able to confidently make that shot. Great looking deer.

PhotoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Great buck and story. Congrats!

That feeling in your stomach will probably never go away completely, but might be less with shorter shots.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Thanks guys. It was the third weekend of our early OTC, and I had spent the prior two weekends doing day hunts from home, heading out early and getting back late, and almost going down from the heat a few times.
All the areas that I had scouted before season were either ash or inaccessible from the fires we’ve been having.
I decided to pick up an InReach to make doing a solo camp in deeper high desert country a safer option (where I was is 4/5hr from pavement) and just told mama I was going for it.
I’d been obsessed since missing cleanly two bucks in January and had been gathering gear, doing research and shooting my bow with a passion. The only thing I neglected was physical conditioning on the cardio side. I’m no fan of exercise, but am a hard working construction guy and rested on those laurels for years-it almost got me in trouble out there a couple times.
The opportunity I was presented, and the ability to capitalize on it were definite mix of preparation and a little nod from the big guy upstairs!
Congratulations!!! However, I harbor resentment towards you for saying 53 is old.
The old comment is more about my vision, as I know many my age that are in great shape.

This fall I’ll be riding my Harley a little less and my neglected mountain bike more for sure!

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
The heat was horrible, we didn’t get a monsoon to speak of this year so the humidity has been sucking the life out of everybody.
I’ve been hydrating all week, and I think today is the first day I’ve peed clear since last week (and I lost 6lb in just two days).

I’ve been in construction 20yrs in AZ, and it never ceases to amazed me how I can tolerate the heat fine one year, and it completely kicks my ass the next.

I’m probably gonna quit hunting the hot velvet OTC hunt, because like FLAK said, the older I get the less o cam function well in it.
....of course I say that now, but if I don’t get a Mulie in the Jan ‘21 OTC hunt I’ll probably be out there again:p

Hell of a shot. Thanks for sharing the story. That’s pretty inspirational to hear your journey over the last year or so.

TheGDog

WKR
Wow. What kind of sight do you have on your Bow that allows you to take 94yd shots? What kinda range do you practice out to regularly?