First Bow - buy from local shop or private

Brehmer22

FNG
I am looking to get into bow hunting and would love some advice. I have a local pro shop that carries Mathews, Bowtech, Bear and others. I would like to support local but I can’t afford the flagship bows. I don’t know if it makes more sense to get a mid level bow like the Bear Alaskan brand new or hit the classifieds and get a used flagship. Near me is a Bowtech Prodigy that comes with all accessories for $650 or a Bowtech Realm X bare for $550. I’m sure they’ll all work well for me but would like to hear from your experience. Thanks in advance!

Dave_S

FNG
I'm new to the bow game as well. If you're anything like me, you don't know nearly enough to buy a used bow from somebody. Go into the shop, tell them what kind of budget you have, and let them do the rest. The archery shop I went to helped me with everything from draw length, to accessories (which ones I really needed to spend money on and which I could save on), to getting me sited in and helping me out with form.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Mag_7s

WKR
I'm not an archery or bow expert but I would try as many bows that you can get your hands on. You will find that one will naturally feel better than others, and you will more likely than not shoot that one better as well. Also, it is important to get properly measured for your draw length. Once you have done a little homework, know your dimensions and what bow fits you well you can make a decision. There is nothing wrong with buying a used bow. A lot of shops actually carry used bows. Last years flag ship models really wont be that much different. Bow technology really isn't making leaps and bounds as they were 10 years ago.

First order of business is to get your draw length measured and figure out how much weight you can draw comfortably. Knowing those two things will help narrow down your bow search.

Whether you buy new or used, you'll need help from a shop to get the bow set up and tuned. If you buy elsewhere, I would recommend sticking with a brand your local shop carries so they'll be able to get parts easily and will be more likely to have experience working with your particular bow.

jimh406

WKR
A third option is to join an archery club. Many archery clubs can help you get going. It will be good have a nice place to practice in any case.

As you said, most bows will work fine. The tuning and your technique has more to do with it than anything else.

OP
B

Brehmer22

FNG
I went and got measured at 30.5 and I can pull 60 pretty comfortably. I’m thinking of getting a 70lb bow and have it let down to 60lb until I build up to 70. I did shoot the phase 4 and solution bows but those are out of my price range.

cams

FNG
New to bows as well. Bought a used flagship and has worked out well for me. My local bowshop helped me get squared away even if I didn’t buy the bow from them. I just had to pay for the bow labor. My son’s bow, I bought from my shop and the shop takes care of the labor as long as my son owns his bow.
If I had to do it again, I think I would buy a used flagship from my shop.

Fatcamp

WKR
If I had to do it again I would have bought a new mid-level bow from a good shop and shot it until it wore out.

Local shop can help you dial in and tackle any questions and problems. Less likely to be as willing to help of if not purchased there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went and got measured at 30.5 and I can pull 60 pretty comfortably. I’m thinking of getting a 70lb bow and have it let down to 60lb until I build up to 70. I did shoot the phase 4 and solution bows but those are out of my price range.
With your fairly long draw length, I would stay away from super compact bows and look for something with an axle-to-axle length around 31-35". Some of the shorter ATA models can't get to 30.5" draw length anyway.

Bear makes some nice mid-priced models if you want to go new. The two used Bowtechs you mentioned also sound like pretty good deals. Any good shop should be willing to work on a bow you acquired elsewhere, especially if it's a brand they already carry.

hiker270

WKR
With a 30.5 " draw length you for sure need a longer ATA bow. A 32-34 inch ATA with at least a 6" brace height and 7" would be more forgiving for a beginner. A good pro shop is a good place to start.

OP
B

Brehmer22

FNG
With a 30.5 " draw length you for sure need a longer ATA bow. A 32-34 inch ATA with at least a 6" brace height and 7" would be more forgiving for a beginner. A good pro shop is a good place to start.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to look for one with those specs!

sndmn11

WKR
I am looking to get into bow hunting and would love some advice. I have a local pro shop that carries Mathews, Bowtech, Bear and others. I would like to support local but I can’t afford the flagship bows. I don’t know if it makes more sense to get a mid level bow like the Bear Alaskan brand new or hit the classifieds and get a used flagship. Near me is a Bowtech Prodigy that comes with all accessories for $650 or a Bowtech Realm X bare for $550. I’m sure they’ll all work well for me but would like to hear from your experience. Thanks in advance!

If the have a Bowtech Amplify my brother got on last year and I have been impressed far beyond my expectations. We are getting another for my dad.

If you can't afford flagship, it is a great choice.

ChuckC

WKR
I would go to the local shop and get the mid priced bow. A great local shop is a great asset.

OP
B

Brehmer22

FNG
To make things more interesting, I am left eye dominant but am right handed. Would it make more sense to begin with a left handed bow since I have every little experience with a right handed bow?

bsnedeker

WKR
To make things more interesting, I am left eye dominant but am right handed. Would it make more sense to begin with a left handed bow since I have every little experience with a right handed bow?
I'd go into a bow show and try both and see how awkward it feels drawing lefty....it might be fine, you might find it awful.

In a perfect world, you would shoot left handed to match your eye dominance, but you can also just close your left eye whenever you shoot. Leaving both eyes open is ideal, but I think if you went to the range you would probably find 90% of shooters close one eye when they shoot...I know do unless I'm specifically thinking about it when I shoot. It doesn't seem to make much difference regarding my ability to shoot accurately, but keeping both eyes open makes it easier to see my arrow in flight.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk