First Build Complete - 300PRC

SloppyJ

WKR
This started off as a pipe dream and then took shape very quickly after i researched for way longer than I wanted to admit. I started tinkering with a cheap savage a year ago in prep for this and to get some practice. Here's what I ended up with:

Zermatt Origin LA in the lords hand, Left.
Proof 22" prefit - Cerakoted the stainless
McMillan Game Warden LR Hard Edge "Sage"
UM Bottom Metal and CIP Mag 3.8" COAL
Trigger Tech Special
Atlas CAL

I got the stock in a couple weeks back and started the bedding process. It had a small amount of roll in the stock and felt bedding would help and it did.

I had/have some issues with the UM bottom metal and mag. I called before I ordered and they said it should work with my action but if it doesn't the back of the magazine will hit on the action and I can adjust it to fit. Well they were right. I wanted to use my friends mill but he was out of town when I had time to do it so I carefully filed it down to get the mag to seat perfectly. However it is absolutely demolishing my brass. I polished the feed rails on it and adjusted them. It's better but still not perfect. However, the spring on the damn thing is so strong its the loudest mag I've ever used. Like shockingly loud as the follower slams up when a round leaves. The last round isn't bad but the first two will wake you up and aren't the smoothest. I'll keep tweaking it I guess until I can figure something out unless anyone has any tips? Fit and finish are great and I love the long COAL it allows and do not want to run a long dong mag hanging out of the bottom of this thing when I paid quite a bit for this setup. I ended up painting the rear portion I filed down to match the rest of the mag and it looks pretty good.

Other than that, I knew my NX8 2.5x20 wouldn't fit but I wanted to try it. With high rings the bell still hits the rail and it won't come back far enough for good eye relief. I'll be buying a matching NX8 4x32 and keeping the 2.5x20 for a short action build. Maybe 6 creed or something smaller like that.

I'm loading Berger 215s, Accubond 200s, and TTSX 180s for it to start. Using lapua cases and trying Staball HD, Retumbo, and H1000. Haven't had a chance to take her to the range yet but I can't wait. My AB Raptor 10 stack with 3" reflex will live on this thing.

I really like the McMillan stock more than I thought I would. Fit, finish, and feel are great and it's super comfortable. The entire rifle weighs in at exactly 6lbs 8oz with no mag or bipod. It didn't come with any action screws which blew my mind but I was able to run to the local Ace hardware store and cut down some that they had.

Thought I'd share for the guys who are thinking about doing it. Just do it, it was a really fun process and actually easier than putting an AR together minus the bedding job.

Attachments

• 20240113_162436.jpg
    20240113_162436.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240120_134814.jpg
    20240120_134814.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240115_142408.jpg
    20240115_142408.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240117_213502.jpg
    20240117_213502.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240118_193808.jpg
    20240118_193808.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 43

satchamo

WKR
That’s a sick build - what was the turn around on the barrel? I’m eyeballing a proof 20 in tikka prefit.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
That’s a sick build - what was the turn around on the barrel? I’m eyeballing a proof 20 in tikka prefit.
I forgot to give a shout out to Front Range Precision. I was looking for a left handed origin in stock and was calling everyone I could find. I called him and he didn't answer but called me right back and I think he was headed to his kid's soccer game.

He had the action and prefit proof in stock and gave me a great deal. Took some off for sending a check too. Shipping was quick and I even went back after that and ordered a few extra things from him because I couldn't find them anywhere else like my action wrench.

When I start my next, I'll skip the BS and call him first.

I ordered my stock through MOA rifles who is under the umbrella of extreme outdoors who bought McMillan. They gave me the inside scoop on a new paint pattern which allowed me to get my stock quicker by not going with the 8mo wait on the molded in colors. They were texting me pictures of the prototype colors schemes they were trying which really appreciate. I got the stock produced unfinished and then MOA sent the rifle back for the paint when they released it at no extra cost. I had it in my hands in 2.5mo. Flush cups, pic rail, and 13.75 lop.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Nice gun. How long is that can?
It's a little over 7.2" as far as extending the length from the muzzle and then it has a reflex portion that goes back over the barrel 3". You can get the reflex portions in increments from 2" to 5" or screw in the back cap that eliminates the reflex.

They are made close to me and when I was purchasing a year ago there weren't too many reviews. Now they seem to be extremely popular and it's well earned. It's a great can.

If you're looking, they make models with 4, 6, 8, or 10 baffles which determines the length. They're titanium and super light. My 10 stack is only 9.5oz. I'll be grabbing another 8 or 6 stack model.