First Coues

hflier

WKR
Four dark to dark days, down to the last four hours of my hunt and I got the little 6 point I had been chasing for the last two days. 65 yard shot.

Now I can go back to Oklahoma with a smile. He isn’t big, but I worked my ass for him and that makes him a trophy nun the less.

Ron

e37c4f596dfe9d2fea7b2f96acd40f4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll bet that was a phenomenal experience. Heck of a deer and looks like a heck of a shot! Congrats.

Chasing coues bucks with a bow is no easy task. Most people never harvest them with a rifle let alone a bow. Congratulations to you and I bet you’ll be back next year! I recently had the privilege of hunting with a man from Tulsa Oklahoma. He booked a hunt down here in Arizona on a elk hunt. Again congratulations.

Every coues and pretty much any buck on DIY bow hunt out of state are a trophy for sure. Great job sticking with it, not blowing him out of the area and getting a coues on the wall! Share some learning moments with us if you get a chance, please. What went well, what didn’t, etc. Best of luck on the rest of your 2019 adventures, you are off to a hell of a start!

Chad

Every coues and pretty much any buck on DIY bow hunt out of state are a trophy for sure. Great job sticking with it, not blowing him out of the area and getting a coues on the wall! Share some learning moments with us if you get a chance, please. What went well, what didn’t, etc. Best of luck on the rest of your 2019 adventures, you are off to a hell of a start!

Chad

Some things about this hunt.

Temperature extremes 28-70 degrees. Need to have flexibility in your clothing kit.

Be willing to move if you don’t see a ton of sign. I saw more deer where people where not hunting because the area probably looked not remote enough. I think you go way deep or less than others. Deer know where the pressure is. I was in great looking spots with very little deer.

Damn fitness still not good enough. Better, but still needs work. The deer weight was manageable, but I had to plow through a bunch of catclaw to reach a trail and that pushes you,especially if it’s warm.

Keep learning, I don’t need a lot of stuff in my pack.

I learned I hate bino harness solutions for range finders. They all suck.

I really like the Kifaru Muskeg and Ultralight frame combo. I was in the rain for a solid 4 hours and it worked great.

I learned stalking in socks in the desert is quite painful. And stalking is very difficult due to the crunch crunch of the desert gravel. It took me an hour going a step at a time to go the last 200 yards to get in this bucks neighborhood.

I learned that Javelina aren’t around every turn as much as folks lead you to believe, my tag went unfilled even though I was constantly trying to find them.

Ron

Back