First Elk Down

GPool1842

WKR
Good work man, that’s awesome! Good write up too. Great job handling all of the work yourself. #respect

3rd try and finally put it all together and got a bull. The previous two years I have hunted archery and had many close calls including wounding a bull my first year, unfortunately.

This year I had hoped to hunt September once again, however an unexpected addition to our family, our 3rd child due September 1st ( great timing I know), pretty much made archery elk a no go for me this year. In planning for this fall, I had discussed with my wife other options that were a little more family friendly, including applying for a first season rifle tag in CO. I have not hunted CO or rifle season previously.

I applied for a low point first season tag and fortunately drew it. I chose first season versus the later OTC hunts primarily for the limited tags and hopefully less hunting pressure. I chose a unit that had terrain features that attracted me and because I had intel from a buddy who previously had hunted the area years earlier.

I went about my typical physical fitness conditioning in preparation for the hunt and had a number of areas highlighted to scout and hopefully find elk to hunt.

I arrived a couple days prior to season and to my surprise the access point I chose only had one other truck, a local who was on a leisurely horseback ride. I made it approximately 2.5 miles in that night before dark( my first choice camp location was about 4.7 miles). No bugles that first night. The next morning I hiked to the area I had thought would put me in good position to find game. On my way up to the camp spot I heard one distant bugle further up the mountain and saw numerous mule deer, including a couple dandy 4x4s.

My plan was to low impact scout and get a feel for the general area. I did not want to go hit areas that I felt elk might be, for fear of blowing them out. My scouting was in intermediate elevation and revealed sparse sign. Tracks, dropping, rubs, beds, but nothing I would consider fresh within the last few days or week. That night , the night before season, I heard some cow mews and lazy bugles further up the mountain . That intel helped confirm my suspicions that the elk were higher up the mountain. I think this was because of the overall mild temps and lack of weather to push them down.

The next morning, opening day, I planned to watch a meadow that was just below where I had heard elk the night before. A cool, crisp morning was overall quiet and revealed no bugles or elk. A few mule deer ventured through the meadow however. My plan was to venture further up the mountain to a saddle that was in thicker timber. I waited for thermals to switch and slowly worked up the mountain with a slightly off wind. ( my plan was to work up the mountain on an angle, keeping the wind blowing left to right as not to blow out the timber in front of me.)

I made it to the bench and immediately was blasted with the musty , sweet odor of elk. Sign was littered everywhere. I slowly worked through the timber , taking two steps and stopping, watching for any movement or hearing any elk. After about an hour of still hunting and covering only a few hundred yards, I caught a flicker of movement and then an elk erupted from its bed 35 yards away. After a few bounds it stopped and looked back at me. Immediately I had seen it was a bull , however I couldn’t tell if it was legal in initially. I put up the scope and saw good brow times and multiple points , I fired one shot and dropped him high shoulder. At this time, the rest of the herd blew out, including at least one other, larger bull, but I had not seen them as they were bedded behind some blowdown.

Flooded with emotions I walked up to my first bull, a 4x4 rag horn, however I was ecstatic.

The work then began. I had often heard and read not to hunt solo more than a few miles in. I looked at Onx and I was standing 5.9 miles from the truck where the bull lay. I took a few photos, then broke the bull down which took a couple of hours. This was an ordeal solo but I just took my time . I was joined by two pine marten that wanted lunch and managed to nibble on some of my cooling quarters over on a log.

I shuttled the elk down to my camp in two loads, very heavy loads. It was later afternoon at this point and I wanted to get one load out to the truck. I loaded up a deboned hind quarter and front quarter with some neck meat and made my way down to the truck nearly 5 miles. This took nearly 4 hours as I shouldn’t have taken that amount for the first trip. I spent the night at the trailhead.

The next morning I tried arranging a horse packer as there were multiple outfitters in the area. The best answer I received was “ maybe in 2-3 days I could get to it.” With this level of uncertainty , I said screw it and decided to pack it out myself. Well , 12 hours later and 18 miles in packing , I had the elk off the mountain. I had never had that level of pain, but well worth it. During my short hunt I only saw two other hunters on the trail , and numerous other hikers, bikers. I never had any issues with hunter interference while off trail.

I typically would not have hunted that far from the truck, however I figured elk would be in that general area up high. Given the weather was favorable for meat preservation with highs in the 50s and lows in the 20s, I knew it wouldn’t be a race to get meat off the mountain and if it took a few days, so be it. With that being said, I will Probably look at renting horses or llamas if I go back there again haha.

I just wanted to do a brief write up as I have learned a great deal from this site which I am thankful for and appreciate reading others stories.

8eaf91108ca1b3515e8530885b2e0da8.jpg

1e677f5912e6544f1938e8c83a85c56f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats from another kingsford native

bootstrap

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on the elk!

Enjoyed the story and congratulations to you and mom hope enjoy the young ones and build many memories together!!

poboy2214

FNG
3rd try and finally put it all together and got a bull. The previous two years I have hunted archery and had many close calls including wounding a bull my first year, unfortunately.

This year I had hoped to hunt September once again, however an unexpected addition to our family, our 3rd child due September 1st ( great timing I know), pretty much made archery elk a no go for me this year. In planning for this fall, I had discussed with my wife other options that were a little more family friendly, including applying for a first season rifle tag in CO. I have not hunted CO or rifle season previously.

I applied for a low point first season tag and fortunately drew it. I chose first season versus the later OTC hunts primarily for the limited tags and hopefully less hunting pressure. I chose a unit that had terrain features that attracted me and because I had intel from a buddy who previously had hunted the area years earlier.

I went about my typical physical fitness conditioning in preparation for the hunt and had a number of areas highlighted to scout and hopefully find elk to hunt.

I arrived a couple days prior to season and to my surprise the access point I chose only had one other truck, a local who was on a leisurely horseback ride. I made it approximately 2.5 miles in that night before dark( my first choice camp location was about 4.7 miles). No bugles that first night. The next morning I hiked to the area I had thought would put me in good position to find game. On my way up to the camp spot I heard one distant bugle further up the mountain and saw numerous mule deer, including a couple dandy 4x4s.

My plan was to low impact scout and get a feel for the general area. I did not want to go hit areas that I felt elk might be, for fear of blowing them out. My scouting was in intermediate elevation and revealed sparse sign. Tracks, dropping, rubs, beds, but nothing I would consider fresh within the last few days or week. That night , the night before season, I heard some cow mews and lazy bugles further up the mountain . That intel helped confirm my suspicions that the elk were higher up the mountain. I think this was because of the overall mild temps and lack of weather to push them down.

The next morning, opening day, I planned to watch a meadow that was just below where I had heard elk the night before. A cool, crisp morning was overall quiet and revealed no bugles or elk. A few mule deer ventured through the meadow however. My plan was to venture further up the mountain to a saddle that was in thicker timber. I waited for thermals to switch and slowly worked up the mountain with a slightly off wind. ( my plan was to work up the mountain on an angle, keeping the wind blowing left to right as not to blow out the timber in front of me.)

I made it to the bench and immediately was blasted with the musty , sweet odor of elk. Sign was littered everywhere. I slowly worked through the timber , taking two steps and stopping, watching for any movement or hearing any elk. After about an hour of still hunting and covering only a few hundred yards, I caught a flicker of movement and then an elk erupted from its bed 35 yards away. After a few bounds it stopped and looked back at me. Immediately I had seen it was a bull , however I couldn’t tell if it was legal in initially. I put up the scope and saw good brow times and multiple points , I fired one shot and dropped him high shoulder. At this time, the rest of the herd blew out, including at least one other, larger bull, but I had not seen them as they were bedded behind some blowdown.

Flooded with emotions I walked up to my first bull, a 4x4 rag horn, however I was ecstatic.

The work then began. I had often heard and read not to hunt solo more than a few miles in. I looked at Onx and I was standing 5.9 miles from the truck where the bull lay. I took a few photos, then broke the bull down which took a couple of hours. This was an ordeal solo but I just took my time . I was joined by two pine marten that wanted lunch and managed to nibble on some of my cooling quarters over on a log.

I shuttled the elk down to my camp in two loads, very heavy loads. It was later afternoon at this point and I wanted to get one load out to the truck. I loaded up a deboned hind quarter and front quarter with some neck meat and made my way down to the truck nearly 5 miles. This took nearly 4 hours as I shouldn’t have taken that amount for the first trip. I spent the night at the trailhead.

The next morning I tried arranging a horse packer as there were multiple outfitters in the area. The best answer I received was “ maybe in 2-3 days I could get to it.” With this level of uncertainty , I said screw it and decided to pack it out myself. Well , 12 hours later and 18 miles in packing , I had the elk off the mountain. I had never had that level of pain, but well worth it. During my short hunt I only saw two other hunters on the trail , and numerous other hikers, bikers. I never had any issues with hunter interference while off trail.

I typically would not have hunted that far from the truck, however I figured elk would be in that general area up high. Given the weather was favorable for meat preservation with highs in the 50s and lows in the 20s, I knew it wouldn’t be a race to get meat off the mountain and if it took a few days, so be it. With that being said, I will Probably look at renting horses or llamas if I go back there again haha.

I just wanted to do a brief write up as I have learned a great deal from this site which I am thankful for and appreciate reading others stories.

8eaf91108ca1b3515e8530885b2e0da8.jpg

1e677f5912e6544f1938e8c83a85c56f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats and great write up. I really enjoy hearing these kinds of stories