First Elk hunt: Mike and Dylan

OP
mallard833
Pretty amazing meeting the East and West coast in Colorado heading in blind and making it happen. If you guys had only killed one bull that far in after packing it out would you have went back to the same area knowing the distance of the pack out? Congratulations that's a heck of a trip

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think we would have gone back, keeping in mind the temps and knowing that it would take us two days to pack out one elk(2 loads each), or four days per person.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I think we would have gone back, keeping in mind the temps and knowing that it would take us two days to pack out one elk(2 loads each), or four days per person.
That's pretty impressive not many guys would sign up for round two after 8 miles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
Congratulations and thanks for the thorough, entertaining write-up. Packing out elk is so enjoyable, I can read about it all day. You guys pretty much illustrated how to succeed w CO DIY elk: Research, lots of scouting, always gathering intel, kept moving until you found fresh sign and elk, used up the boot leather. The double makes it even more special.

njdoxie

WKR
Congrats, that packout sounds horrible. Keep the outfitter's name handy, he may be able to pack out an elk next year, as well as haul u in next year. You guys definitely beat the odds, very few first timers hunting by themselves get elk, almost nil, has to be less than 1%.

Last edited:
OP
mallard833
Here is some of the gear we used and how it worked...

Lowa Tibet GTX - If I hadn't taken them for a swim, I dont think I would have gotten a blister the whole trip. As it was, I only got one bad one.
Moleskin and Leukotape - pure magic for blisters and hot spots...
Core4Element Highline pant - Pretty much lived in these pants from the first day until after our first pack out. Did not have the knee pads in.
Steripen Opti Adventurer - Worked super well for me. Do yourself a favor and know what the flashing led codes mean ahead of time. Mike liked it so much he bought one with the led readout the third day we were there.
Daily use contacts - So much better than glasses when you are using binos. No carrying storage containers or solution, just a small bottle of rewetting drops. Oddly enough, I threw glasses on and forgot to put them in the day we shot the elk.
rei xt 85 pack - comfortable, affordable, no complaints. I would love to try out a Kifaru sometime, but I had a ton of other gear to buy for this trip, so that just wasn't in the budget.
alpen apex 10x42 binos- first set of good binos I've owned... not sure how I put up with cheap binos for so long
Vortex 12x50 binos- Mike had a pair of Vortex 12x50s that worked real well. Not sure on the exact model
Venison Jerky- enough said
Cherry Chocolate Peanut butter bars- google "in search of the perfect trail bar". I used cranberries, slivered almonds in some and cashews in others. I ate A LOT of these.
Savage 116 in 30-06 with 150grain Barnes TTSX hand loads- One shot, double lung, full pass through, and minimal meat damage.

more to come as I think of it...