First high country deer hunt.

magedon44

FNG
Hi All,
I’m planning my first high county deer hunt this year during Idaho’s general tag hunt Oct 10-24th. I have little experience hunting mule deer and especially high county ones so I’m asking for some guidance to stack the odds in my favor.

First- I’m contemplating dates. I know mid Oct. is tough and from what I’m reading deer are going to be hard to find bedded in cover and only moving first and last light?? I don’t know if I should hunt the opener or the last week of the season. I was thinking with the end of the season maybe I might catch some bucks moving more due to a little pre rut activity?

Second- Terrain, We will be camped ¾ mountain in a small basin with water. Above us we plan to climb onto the ridge tops and kind of “run & gun” glassing into holes and other side hills. My question is, Oct 10-24th What type of terrain should we focus glassing into? There’s area in this country with heavy timber and other areas are more open with patches of timber on steep side hills also lots of open rocky side hills.. I’m from PA so my scouting it ahead of season is not going to happen.. Im going in blind.

Any advice is greatly appreciated…Thanks.

Azone

WKR
I would go towards the end of the season and concentrate on the areas with patches of timber and open country if you're going to be glassing. This will up your chances of seeing deer heading back to their beds after feeding at night. Odds are if you chase them in the heavy timber they're gonna bust you before you see them, but if you're a good stalker anything is possible. Also when changing basins or drainages stay off the ridgelines and don't skyline yourself, you might as well yell hey deer I'm over here if you do that.
If you guys are going to be camping 3/4 the way up the mountain and going clean to the top you should obviously encounter deer somewhere between the top and the bottom. Just because some country looks beautiful and should in your mind hold deer dont get stuck on a place because it looks good. If you get into an area and there is no deer sightings or fresh sign located I would move on to a different locations until you find deer or sign. Good luck.

OP
M

magedon44

FNG
I would go towards the end of the season and concentrate on the areas with patches of timber and open country if you're going to be glassing. This will up your chances of seeing deer heading back to their beds after feeding at night. Odds are if you chase them in the heavy timber they're gonna bust you before you see them, but if you're a good stalker anything is possible. Also when changing basins or drainages stay off the ridgelines and don't skyline yourself, you might as well yell hey deer I'm over here if you do that.
If you guys are going to be camping 3/4 the way up the mountain and going clean to the top you should obviously encounter deer somewhere between the top and the bottom. Just because some country looks beautiful and should in your mind hold deer dont get stuck on a place because it looks good. If you get into an area and there is no deer sightings or fresh sign located I would move on to a different locations until you find deer or sign. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply.

Pm me if you want. Happy to discuss your plan and if you’re nuts or on the right track. Maybe even some starting points if you’re a small group.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Very interested in responses as I'm doing the same. I'm definitely headed back over for that opener, because I've seen how quickly the weather can roll in and get nasty in the high country. I could be completely wrong, but I feel like you either want to be as early and high as possible before snow moves in and any migration starts, or you want to target a little lower and later where they're going to show up. Whichever you choose, best of luck!

chops24

WKR
I grew up hunting with my Dad, then deer hunting with Dad, uncles, cousins etc.

Hunted with my sons as they grew up, great memories

Now my favorite hunting partner: my wife.

Yeah, I'd say it's a good family activity.Anything that puts the family together, is a good family activity.

and ccolemanjoan checks in from left field.

kiddogy

WKR
don't know what unit your focusing on but often, when we get mid oct snow it gets the deer heading towards lower elevations in late oct. hunting once the deer get moving can be fantastic if you manage to hit that miracle week or so. I generally prefer late oct after the weather turns bad . but if you are packing in ,you, may???? prefer early oct for more likely pleasant weather.

just don't have enough info to help much.