First hunt in grizzly country recap

kpk

WKR
First off - thanks to those who gave me information on the area. It certainly helped us hit the ground running and likely saved us days of wandering around aimlessly.

I drew a cow tag for a high grizzly density area this year. First time for both of us being in a "real" grizzly area. We were unsuccessful, but watched a herd of several hundred every day except for the first day we were there. We had an opportunity when a rancher shot a cow and blew the entire herd off of private land. The herd jumped the fence into an area that has property lines that are about as clear as mud. The Onyx app and Wyoming online map had some discrepancies which didn't help. There were definitely elk on public - but I wasn't POSITIVE where the lines were and ultimately decided not to shoot. I also didn't want to shoot late afternoon and deal with meat and packing out in the dark - especially in the immediate vicinity. It appeared we were standing in the ranch's dumping grounds as there were several carcasses scattered around. I figured we'd come back in the morning and see if they were still in the area.

That herd pretty much hung out on private land for the next several days and we hunted some of the nearby valleys looking for stragglers. Not a whole lot of luck finding elk but spotted a couple nice muleys in range - unfortunately neither of us drew a deer tag.

A few days later we found the large herd lingering around in the private/public area right away in the morning. We made a plan to approach from the downwind trailhead which was roughly 2 miles. The trail basically runs across a steep hilly area so ~50% of the time you're running blind. We were on the trail and going fast - I was feeling pretty optimistic about shooting an elk. About halfway to the elk our plans abruptly changed when we came up on a huge pile of crap that was full of hair and berries. It was considerably larger than a pop can in diameter and was as fresh as could be. Sounds odd to say....but it's obviously a very very large animal that leaves a pile that size. We'd seen cub prints a few days prior in the same area - but they weren't that fresh at the time. After seeing very fresh sign in this area we decided to back out. I wish I would've put something in the picture for a size reference.

At one point we spotted a carcass across the valley from us about 200 yards away. I assumed this was a hunter kill but no real way to know. By the time we were there, it appeared that most of the ribs were busted up. There was also a tree directly to the left that was all broken and torn up.

I'm chalking this season up to a learning experience as I feel every decision in this country needs to be analyzed - especially with little ones at home. It's beautiful country, but pay attention and keep your head on a swivel out there. Safe hunting.

Attachments

• carcass.jpg
    carcass.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 438
  • rsz_scat.jpg
    rsz_scat.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_20211027_205435_774.jpg
    IMG_20211027_205435_774.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 431
So many easier places to kill a cow! I certainly wouldn’t be in an area with private land for them to seek refuge on. That’s worse than grizzlies!

Fullfan

WKR
You were rifle hunting correct. If then why fear what made the big pile of pool.

OP
kpk

kpk

WKR
You were rifle hunting correct. If then why fear what made the big pile of pool.

Based on the cub prints and what appeared to be a denning area close by, we were assuming it was a big sow that left the big pile of poo. It just seemed irresponsible to push in that situation. I didn't want to run into a sow with cubs - and I certainly don't want to have to shoot a sow with cubs. That's a lose/lose for all.

Have you ever spent a week looking at elk from the elkless side of a fence? It’s the worst. Nothing you can do. You can safely hunt areas with bears.
I have done that with turkey a lot and been frustrated...elk may drive me to madenss!

The grizzly are very intimidating at first. I only hunt in high grizzly density woods. After a while it's just another thing to pay attention for. I've been lucky to not have bad encounters, but I see them from time to time. It's not a consideration for me, but man I get jealous watching guys on TV hike in 2 hours in the dark in bearless country. I know the grizzly will kill me just the same in the light as the dark, it's just much spookier,

zekesteve

FNG
Sounds like you had fun that's all that matters in my book.
I agree, sounds like it was fun. We had (have) cow tags, slightly east of grizzly range though. Out first try, no luck in archery although we did find elk and did have 2 close encounters. Headed back Monday to try with the rifle, still excited and feel even better since we already have 10 days experience in the unit

grfox92

WKR
Glad you enjoyed your trip man. Hope you make it out here again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kpk

tntrker

WKR
I have done that with turkey a lot and been frustrated...elk may drive me to madenss!

The grizzly are very intimidating at first. I only hunt in high grizzly density woods. After a while it's just another thing to pay attention for. I've been lucky to not have bad encounters, but I see them from time to time. It's not a consideration for me, but man I get jealous watching guys on TV hike in 2 hours in the dark in bearless country. I know the grizzly will kill me just the same in the light as the dark, it's just much spookier,
YEP, I was all hyped up on hitting the back country finally some years back. I had bought countless books to prepare as best as I could then...I read Cam Hanes's book and it dawned on me that I had no business walking into the wilderness with Griz and/or Mountain lions in the dark, by myself with only my self taught inexperience. It's kind of spooky here in SC alone with timid black bears and a pack of yotes yelling before daylight..

YEP, I was all hyped up on hitting the back country finally some years back. I had bought countless books to prepare as best as I could then...I read Cam Hanes's book and it dawned on me that I had no business walking into the wilderness with Griz and/or Mountain lions in the dark, by myself with only my self taught inexperience. It's kind of spooky here in SC alone with timid black bears and a pack of yotes yelling before daylight..
The black bear around here are like big black labs. They look like you could walk one up and just pet them. In fact I had one sneak into my garage a few nights in a row and I scared it off just by walking by it accidently. The griz scare me, the black bears (at least here) seem pretty friendly.

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the above.” I’ll take grizzlies over private land any day” I used to be afraid of grizzlies while sneaking around bow hunting in Montana. Every time I saw one we both went the opposite direction with out conflict. Now granted I never got within 100 yards of the Grizz. What really scares me is when you are being followed by a mountain lion. I can hardly hunt in the Bridger mountains anymore without looking over my shoulder every 20 seconds.

JesseC

FNG
The black bear around here are like big black labs. They look like you could walk one up and just pet them. In fact I had one sneak into my garage a few nights in a row and I scared it off just by walking by it accidently. The griz scare me, the black bears (at least here) seem pretty friendly.
We have a massive black bear on our blacktail hunting grounds here in Washington.

I used to think the same - but then ran into a list of all bear fatalities. Interesting, that the black bears most often predated humans.

I’m not paranoid out there - but I always make sure to pack spray or my 10mm.