first lite for whitetail tree stand hunt in Missouri

ofl0926

WKR
Hey whats up everyone. i got my hunt right around the corner in northern MO. looking at the temps now, looks the lows will be around 19-25 and the highs around 25-45. looking at all my clothing from first lite, i am trying to pack what i need. ive never hunted this cold. hear are the pieces i have and would love to hear suggestions

Jackets
  • Sanctuary jacket
  • puffy
  • catalyst
  • sawtooth

Pants
  • north branch pants
  • kanab pants
  • corrugate

Layers
  • halstead fleece
  • chama 230g top
  • furnace 350g top
  • aerowool wilkin 150g top
  • aerowool fuse 200g bottoms
  • Allegheny 230g bottoms

I'll be wearing my Woodbury or Sanctuary jacket and Sanctuary bibs in Iowa later this week when the cold front moves in. A mix of Fusion and ASAT patterns.

I don't think any of your pants are going to be warm enough in these temps. I also have the North Branch and only find them good down to freezing with proper under layers. Sanctuary bibs are much warmer.

For base layers I really like the FL Merino stuff.

Mid layers I wear a mix of stuff, not all FL.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I'll be wearing my Woodbury or Sanctuary jacket and Sanctuary bibs in Iowa later this week when the cold front moves in. A mix of Fusion and ASAT patterns.

I don't think any of your pants are going to be warm enough in these temps. I also have the North Branch and only find them good down to freezing with proper under layers. Sanctuary bibs are much warmer.

For base layers I really like the FL Merino stuff.

Mid layers I wear a mix of stuff, not all FL.

Damn, I was afraid of the pmts not being enough. Kinda late to order something cause I leave Friday lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Any other advise.
I’ll probably get some hot hands for my hands and feet

Rolando

FNG
Your legs are going to freeze. Here's what I'd wear based on my gear.
Top:
Chama
Klamath
C4E Elevation Puffy 700 fill (your Sanctuary will work great here)

Bottom:
Allegheny base
Obsidian pants
MT050 Whitetail Extreme pants.

I'd recommend some sort of insulating layer on top of your pants.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Your legs are going to freeze. Here's what I'd wear based on my gear.
Top:
Chama
Klamath
C4E Elevation Puffy 700 fill (your Sanctuary will work great here)

Bottom:
Allegheny base
Obsidian pants
MT050 Whitetail Extreme pants.

I'd recommend some sort of insulating layer on top of your pants.

yeah i am looking on amazon for a quick ship item. any suggestions

Skeeter

FNG
Assuming you may be sitting daylight to dark. Agree on needing the Sanctuary bibs or something similar. Alternatively, you could put some puffy pants over your regular pants, and then if expecting wind throw some rain pants over it all. Another option might be a sleeping bag or quilt over lower body while sitting. Also, if treestand hunting from a metal platform, it helps to have a foam pad to stand on to insulate the soles of your boots. Cold metal stand (or even ground) really draws the heat from the feet.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Assuming you may be sitting daylight to dark. Agree on needing the Sanctuary bibs or something similar. Alternatively, you could put some puffy pants over your regular pants, and then if expecting wind throw some rain pants over it all. Another option might be a sleeping bag or quilt over lower body while sitting. Also, if treestand hunting from a metal platform, it helps to have a foam pad to stand on to insulate the soles of your boots. Cold metal stand (or even ground) really draws the heat from the feet.

Never thought about the pad for the feet. I will be looking for one as well.
I ended up ordering the sanctuary bibs from first lite. I want to be as comfortable as possible for those long sits

Never thought about the pad for the feet. I will be looking for one as well.
I ended up ordering the sanctuary bibs from first lite. I want to be as comfortable as possible for those long sits

I'll be wearing mine this weekend for sure.

taco15

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on your tolerance for the cold you may be able to get away with the North Branch pants as your bottoms. I have worn the NB's with the Furnace bottoms and a good pair of thick wool socks in the tree stand to temps in the teens and have been more than comfortable. I paired that with the Woodbury jacket, Chama, and Furnace tops. Would avoid the puffy as an under layers as it can be pretty loud, but that's just my two cents.

I have two pairs of north branch pants, one large and one xl. The large serve me well down to freezing and then I use the xl’s with an additional layer in below freezing temps.

Bow or rifle?

I have a Woodbury jacket. I add a few layers underneath for long sits in the cold. With a fleece top and an uncomphagre under the Woodbury It is easy to get my arms feeling like there is too much bulk going on so I find I like a vest as an insulating layer.

Your legs may get cold. I bought the sanctuary bid at the end of last year. My soft shell pants just weren’t warm enough for long sits in the cold.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Bow or rifle?

I have a Woodbury jacket. I add a few layers underneath for long sits in the cold. With a fleece top and an uncomphagre under the Woodbury It is easy to get my arms feeling like there is too much bulk going on so I find I like a vest as an insulating layer.

Your legs may get cold. I bought the sanctuary bid at the end of last year. My soft shell pants just weren’t warm enough for long sits in the cold.

This is for a rifle hunt. I ended up ordering the bibs from them and they show delivery for tomorrow.