First lite Obsidians vs Sitka Apex pants

OP
P

PHo

WKR
Some of the things I would like to know are how they compare as far as how quiet they are for stalking situations (is one more quiet than the other)? How well they handle warm weather, 100+ degree heat for example? And also what temperature they would be able to handle as far as cool weather, like how cold would it have to be before you would use a base layer bottom on the two pants?

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
Some of the things I would like to know are how they compare as far as how quiet they are for stalking situations (is one more quiet than the other)? How well they handle warm weather, 100+ degree heat for example? And also what temperature they would be able to handle as far as cool weather, like how cold would it have to be before you would use a base layer bottom on the two pants?

I've never worn the Apex pants, but 100F+ heat would be nearly unbearable for me in the Obsidians. I get warm in them starting around 75F.

On the cold side, I've worn them down below 0F with a heavy base layer and been fine. Without a base layer, I think around freezing is where I'd start getting uncomfortable enough to do something about it.

They are dead silent, though.

Do you have a preference? Have seen some complaints about durability with the Obsidians.
The Apex are definitely more durable than the Obsidian. Noise wise, they're almost identical with the slight nod going to the Obsidian. The Apex are still very quiet though. As far as temperature range goes, they are very similar and seem to fill the same niche. Apex have the optional knee pads as well as the athletic cut to minimize the leg fabric rubbing together but the Obsidian are merino and take wayyyy longer to start stinking. Both breathe very well when it's hot but also do very good when you add a base layer in the cold. If you're looking for an investment, the Apex will last you longer.

OP
P

PHo

WKR
The Apex are definitely more durable than the Obsidian. Noise wise, they're almost identical with the slight nod going to the Obsidian. The Apex are still very quiet though. As far as temperature range goes, they are very similar and seem to fill the same niche. Apex have the optional knee pads as well as the athletic cut to minimize the leg fabric rubbing together but the Obsidian are merino and take wayyyy longer to start stinking. Both breathe very well when it's hot but also do very good when you add a base layer in the cold. If you're looking for an investment, the Apex will last you longer.

Between the two which one would breath better and keep you cooler in hot weather? On the flip side, which one would keep you warmer when the temps drop?

Sadler

WKR
If you’re hunting in 100+ heat I’d go with the Kuiu Tiberons. I use those while hunting in AZ in August. I get hot in the apex and obsidians way before it hits 100.

Takeem406

WKR
I tried the Obsidians in '17. After about five days I got a hole that started in a knee. I emailed FL and they said I was SOL. $190 for a pair of pants that didn't even have two weeks on them!

The Apex pants are super quiet and durable like all Sitka. With Sitka they said if I get a hole or anything they'll either replace or mend it.

Only issue with the Apex is they are too warm for me above 70 degrees. Too warm for early Sept.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

rm06

WKR
The Obsidians were the best temperature regulating pant I've ever worn. I sold them after my first hunt in them because the fit was silly, I'm told by FL they are addressing this in the new pants set to be released this June. If FL would like to send me a new pair to evaluate, I'd be more than happy to do so, otherwise I will be spending my money elsewhere - I love FL's other gear but they've missed it with pants.

I own too many different hunting pants, current count is 4 (original Kuiu Guide and Attack, FL Kanab, Prana Zion) and I wear the Pranas almost exclusively. I would love some integrated knee pads so the Apex are looking awesome, I wish they were available in solid colors.

OP
P

PHo

WKR
The Obsidians were the best temperature regulating pant I've ever worn. I sold them after my first hunt in them because the fit was silly, I'm told by FL they are addressing this in the new pants set to be released this June. If FL would like to send me a new pair to evaluate, I'd be more than happy to do so, otherwise I will be spending my money elsewhere - I love FL's other gear but they've missed it with pants.

I own too many different hunting pants, current count is 4 (original Kuiu Guide and Attack, FL Kanab, Prana Zion) and I wear the Pranas almost exclusively. I would love some integrated knee pads so the Apex are looking awesome, I wish they were available in solid colors.

Yeah it would be awesome if they offered the Apex in solids.

Just out of curiousity, did your Obsidians handle hot weather better than the Attacks?

rm06

WKR
Just out of curiousity, did your Obsidians handle hot weather better than the Attacks?

I wouldn't consider the weather I hunted in them to be hot - maybe it cracked 70 once or twice. Poly or nylon pants make my legs clammy in almost any weather despite breathability claims, merino does not. It's the price to be paid, backpack hunting just isn't a comfy endeavor, we make the best of it within budget and gear restraints. That said, I make other performance considerations beyond breathability though it is a major factor.

Based on my experiences with both, I would say the Obsidian would be hands down the better choice in hot weather.