First Lite Question?

New to the forum and had a question with First Lite? Looking to get some new gear for cold weather like the Solitude or Sanctuary or both?

I'm basically good from 50 degrees and up, but need something to cover 50 degrees down down to the mid teens which is about the coldest I see during the Season.

I'm thinking definitely Sanctuary for teens and up to mid 30's, but questioned if the Sanctuary would be too much to also cover the 35 to 50 degree range. Being they are so expensive could I just get away with the sanctuary from teens to 50? As a side note I do pack all my outer wear in, so I wouldn't be walking in it. Was thinking of just getting the Sanctuary, then later the Solitude if the Sanctuary is too much?

Was looking at Sitka but see many comments as if the Stratus is basically an expensive windbreaker? And do not personally care for the Elevated 2 pattern either. Some also say some of their camo not sure which one has a blueish hue to it? And I didn't like the Fanatic Series only because it's fleece, Had outer fleece clothing before which I carried in and still was trashed with burrs. So I decided no heavy pile fleece again,

Regarding First lite their, site has really good prices on the Sanctuary and Solitude, but neither are available.? So checked Black Ovis and it says discontinued? So now wondering once First Lite has these items again, those good prices will go away, as maybe they are being discontinued for upgrades which means a higher price than what they have posted now? Thanks

Shaun2390

Lil-Rokslider
From hunting close to the same temperature range in Oklahoma the solitude set is plenty warn down into single digits specially if you have on some good base layers.

OP
L
Thanks, for the replies, I'm one that gets cold easily, noticed this the more I age. I would definitely want the Sanctuary for teens, but wasn't sure if it would be too much in the 35 to 50 degree range carrying it in and with minimal under layers, where I wouldn't have to buy the Solitude also?

Kind of a bummer about the First Lite being discontinued, as I would of been happy with that price and liked the camo too. So I guess I'll have to pay out the rear now on the new stuff? Wish i would have know this before they sold out at that price. Thanks

OP
L
You will burn up in the Sanctuary at 50 degrees...I'd get the solitude and layer accordingly under it.

What would you say is the warmest temp to use the Sanctuary in, with minimal base layer and packing it in? Thanks

OP
L
They are rereleasing their whitetail line up in July in their new camo pattern, likely at the original price point too.
One good thing with that is hopefully they redesign the big collars on the Solitude and Sanctuary, about the only issue I saw with these, just don't like big zipper up collars for bowhunting, where I'd fold them under anyways.

One good thing with that is hopefully they redesign the big collars on the Solitude and Sanctuary, about the only issue I saw with these, just don't like big zipper up collars for bowhunting, where I'd fold them under anyways.
Yeah i had the solitude set and the collar was definitely high on me. I don't know for sure but talking with one of their CS reps led me to believe no redesign was coming on the solitude, just camo. I think I read somewhere on here where someone heard from FL that a redesign on the sanctuary might be in the works. All speculation though.

I also get cold fairly easily. I have the solitude, sanctuary, fanatic, and stratus sets, so I am acquainted with their features. If you will be sitting in the stand for more than two hours, the solitude bibs, in the teens, will be inadequate without extensive layering. My gear spreadsheet has me using sanctuary bibs at 35 degrees or colder and the sanctuary jacket at 25 degrees or colder. I have the woodbury that I use to bridge the gap between sanctuary and solitude (unnecessary, but I already had the woodbury and I still prefer it to solitude jacket). If you hunt in strong winds, you can easily wear the sanctuary bibs in the upper 40s. First Lite gear isn't windproof and you will notice that deficiency in the field. With your temps, and If I had to choose, I would get solitude set and sitka midi pants.

STL

FNG
I also get cold fairly easily. I have the solitude, sanctuary, fanatic, and stratus sets, so I am acquainted with their features. If you will be sitting in the stand for more than two hours, the solitude bibs, in the teens, will be inadequate without extensive layering. My gear spreadsheet has me using sanctuary bibs at 35 degrees or colder and the sanctuary jacket at 25 degrees or colder. I have the woodbury that I use to bridge the gap between sanctuary and solitude (unnecessary, but I already had the woodbury and I still prefer it to solitude jacket). If you hunt in strong winds, you can easily wear the sanctuary bibs in the upper 40s. First Lite gear isn't windproof and you will notice that deficiency in the field. With your temps, and If I had to choose, I would get solitude set and sitka midi pants.
What do you like better about the woodbury over the solitude?

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt from teens up to about 50 in the Solitude. I have to wear a baselayer, furnace and Klamath underneath to get me down to the teens though. On a day where its like 50 you just use the side zips on the bibs and pack the jacket in.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Probably need to add it would have to be teens at 6:00AM and warming up into the 20s otherwise Sanctuary probably more comfortable

Ndodge

FNG
The solitude will be more versatile for those temps. The sanctuary is more for static super cold weather hunts. People will be selling their used stuff with the specter line coming out...might want to keep an eye out for a good deal.

OP
L
Going to keep an eye out for a set, actually like the the previous Fusion pattern better than the new Specter not enough contrast to me between patterns of color.

TodOz

FNG
I have the sanctuary. It’s great for late season stand hunting in Ohio. Like others have said, you won’t want to use it unless it’s getting on the cold side. I won’t even consider using it until temps are in the 30s.

Huntespo

FNG
I own the sanctuary set and layer it with the following, furnace top and bottoms klamath hoody and i am fine upto 10*C with wind and you would have to carry it in to the stand with you. anything warmer its too much of a kit. Now as for cold days i have had it down to -15*C with windchill and i was good, the only time i got a little chilled is because of sweat walking into stand could feel the wind. For warmer days i would go with the catalyst jacket and bibs and layer when the temps drop and i think you would be fine

OP
L
Does anyone actually know when the Sanctuary will come available? Just says "coming soon"

For this year I decided just to go with just the Sanctuary jacket and bibs for now, if they ever release them. Due to the cost I don't want to jump into buying both the Solitude and Sanctuary sets. And thinking with what Sitka I have coupled with my GSX bibs and jacket should fair as well as the Solitude, so I'll just get the colder gear for now.