First rangefinder

I just started whitetail hunting this year and am looking for my first rangefinder to buy. I’m not really sure which one is best for under $300. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
OP
N
Get one with a red display. Ive tried a few personally like my sig kilo 1800.

What is a red display? I’m new to hunting and I don’t know a whole lot about the accessories.

Haakon14

FNG
What is a red display? I’m new to hunting and I don’t know a whole lot about the accessories.

A red display is how the distances are displayed in the rangefinder's ocular. There are typically two types, red and black. Black displays can be difficult to read in low light scenarios or against dark/drab backgrounds found in common hunting scenarios. The red displays are brighter and generally easier to see, though some folks have challenges with them in extremely bright situations. Most rangefinders with red displays have multiple brightness settings to help with this.

I've recently moved to the Vortex Ranger 1800, which typically retails about $350 and have been happy with it. You might be able to find it on sale for <=$300. Alternatively, the Vortex Ranger 1300 is a very similar unit that retails for about $300.

OP
N
Oh ok that’s what a red display is. What are the tip rangefinder brands?

Haakon14

FNG
Oh ok that’s what a red display is. What are the tip rangefinder brands?

Asking for the top rangefinder brands is kind of like asking for the top car/truck brands. Everyone will have an opinion. It can be kind of like buying a new truck - do you like Ford, Chevy, or Ram? They all have pros and cons, great experiences and failures/defects. It will depend on who you talk to. You also have to consider price range. Companies like Leica have great products but can run $500-$1200. You can also look at rangefinder/binocular combos from Leica, Swarovski, etc. and pay $1-3k.

In the price range you're looking at, I would gravitate towards Vortex or Leupold. Those are the main brands in our elk camps and deer camps. I've also heard good things about Sig rangefinders but neither I nor any of my hunting buddies use Sig so can't say for sure. Bushnell makes rangefinders and their price range is a bit lower than the prior the but personally I'm not a fan - I know some who use them without any issue.

ohoopee

WKR
I like my Leica. 7x with a focus and good eye relief. A used
older model is within your price range.

OP
N
I think I narrowed it down to the vortex ranger 1300 or the sig sauer kilo 2200 bdx od. I can’t decide which one because the vortex has a foood warranty but the sig had a angle measurement.

RedTimber

FNG
Classified Approved
I think I narrowed it down to the vortex ranger 1300 or the sig sauer kilo 2200 bdx od. I can’t decide which one because the vortex has a foood warranty but the sig had a angle measurement.

Use the code "vortexplusonx" @ eurooptic and you'll get 15% off the ranger.