First Time Coues Hunt 2019 Trip Report

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I apologize in advance, this may be long winded. First hunting trip report, and I am not known for being short on words either.

After being asked by my brother-in-law Christmas 2018 if I would take him on his first hunt, we started talking and planning where and what we would hunt. He lives in the Phoenix area and had seen an episode of Meateater where Rinella goes Coues deer hunting. He asked if that would be too difficult for a first hunt and I responded with a probably, but let's go try anyways! And that is how the trip began! We eventually added my dad who wanted to go, and my father-in-law to our trip plans for a group of 4.

After we decided on species and state, I started the research. Gohunt and OnX became even more my best friend than they ever had been. I pored over map after map trying to find the place to go. I messaged and bugged everyone on any forum who had ever mentioned coues deer. I wanted an area with designated Wilderness with the hopes to get away from crowds. I finally located a unit that I liked, and confirmed on Gohunt that we would be able to draw.

***SIDE NOTE*** If anyone is going through the process of beginning planning for an AZ Coues hunt, please feel free to reach out to me, I am more than happy to offer any possible advice and help I can. I am no expert, but I learned a ton this trip. ***

Once we put in for the draw I googled everything I could about the unit and the specific area we were going to draw. I spoke to a few really helpful people on here and other forums, who confirmed my trip plan as being a good start and offering other tips and advice. Pro Tip- People are much much more willing to give information over the internet if they feel like you have done all them research already and are just asking for confirmation.

As I started gathering different gear pieces and things I would need for the trip, I obviously had my mind on optics. I knew my 10's were likely not going to cut it down there. I looked at maybe selling some gear to fund a purchase, but felt like it made more sense to save up to get really good ones. If I have learned anything from Rokslide it is buy once cry once. I decided I would probably rent some binos from one of a few companies around. After looking at pricing, I thought I would reach out here on Rokslide and see if anyone might rent me some. @robby denning was the first person to reply to my post and offered to loan me a set of Vortex 18x56 Kaibabs. For nothing. He has never met me in person and trusted sending me a high dollar piece of equipment to borrow on my hunt. I truly cannot thank him enough. Without those things, we would not have had the hunt that we did! I am going to do a writeup on the Kaibabs in the optics section, so check there for a full review in the next few days. I spent the week before the hunt testing them from my back porch. I live right along the northern section of the Wasatch Front Extended unit, and have some pretty good country to glass from a mile to over five miles away. Picked up many more hunters than deer, but was able to spot two does at almost two miles away feeding on an open ridge. I could not believe how good this glass was. My son did not want to feel left out, so I set him up with his own pair of “nockaners”, and he cries if he can’t be out on the porch glassing with dad.

QwpgTGC.jpg

Once I had all my optics and gear in order, it was time to head down to Arizona.

I used my occasionally smart brain to plan the hunting trip with a season that started directly after Thanksgiving, thus linking the hunting trip with a trip to spend the holiday with my wife's family. So we loaded up all of mine and my dad's gear in our Land Cruiser and headed down to Phoenix. The plan was to spend Thanksgiving with her family, then pick up my dad the following Monday and head to our hunting area. The trip was fairly uneventful, we were able to leave early enough to beat the heavy storm that hit Utah through the holiday. We spent Black Friday loading up my brother-in-law with all the basic gear he might need, and prepped everything else to be ready to roll Monday.

OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Day 1:

Monday finally arrived and we had the Cruiser all packed up and ready to head out to our hunting area. We swung by the airport and picked up my dad for the long drive to outside Tucson. The truck could not have been more loaded, with the back area completely full and the roof rack all loaded up as well. After a quick Walmart stop for groceries, we got off pavement quickly. We had something like 20 miles of all dirt, and the majority of that being 4x4 only road.

QoDM8Lm.jpg

6CDymY5.jpg

We grossly underestimated the time it would take to get back into the area where we wanted to go, and it was long dark when we arrived. Luckily we had pre-scouted a few different camp spot options and one we liked best was vacant. We pulled in and got to work setting up tents and gear. Without seeing any of the country, it was hard to make a plan for the next day, but we decided to wing it a bit. A guy on another forum, Game Planner Maps, had made us some awesome high detail topo maps of our unit. He is an AZ local and offered me quite a few pointers when planning our trip, so we pulled out his maps and planned a quick little route up a ridge that should offer some great glassing points to see a ton of country.

Day 2:

Morning came quickly and we were up and ready to roll. We decided to split in to two groups, my father-in-law and brother-in-law, and my dad and I. We headed up the ridge and dropped them at a point a little lower, and headed as far as we could up the ridge before light.

ZgiUPTX.jpg

I broke out my tripod and the Kaibabs out of my pack and set everything up.

6y3FEIj.jpg

The amount of light gathering on the 56's are absolutely insane. Even at first light I was able to clearly see all over the area in front of me. Finally sunlight started breaking over the very tops of the hills and it wasn't long before we had some deer spotted. My dad made the spot and had a group of 5 at almost 1600 yards away through his 10's. After he pointed out the area, I was able to identify 2 bucks in the group through the 18's. Looking at the terrain and where we would have to go to get there, it quickly went from "Let's make a play", to "There is no way to get to those deer before it gets dark". So we kept watching and wishing they were closer. As the sun got higher in the sky where it wouldn't be blinding, we switched positions to the other side of the ridge to glass the north side facing slopes.

JxwR7h5.jpg

Once again my dad was able to pick up a couple deer feeding down some cliffs, and once again I was able to pick out a nice looking buck. We decided this spot was a little more accessible. I planned to keep my eye on the tree where he had bedded down, and he would make his way over there. He spent the next 45 minutes essentially running down the ridge to get into position. Once he was down on the same level as the buck he settled under a tree for the afternoon. He had about a 300 yard shot to where the buck was... or where we thought he was. It turns out these things are the slipperiest critters around. Somehow he had done a disappearing act and slipped out of his bed while we both watched. We still waited until after last light hoping we would re-locate him, but no such luck.
After heading back to camp in the dark, we discovered that the only other trucks in the entire area we had seen, had pulled out sometime that day. We were all alone in a giant piece of country, and decided we probably didn't need to backpack in to get away from the non-existent crowds.

OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Day 3:

Day 3 started a little rough, woke up to some decent rain in the night, but figured it would stop by morning. My brother-in-law was on alarm duty, and being a brand new hunter was not aware that we hunt in any weather. So we woke up to it being light outside. We jumped out of the tent and grabbed gear as quick as we could. My father-in-law was out of commission from the day before of hiking, and my brother-in-law volunteered to stay behind with him. We hit the mountain as soon as we could and headed up to a likely glassing spot.
After getting settled in we started picking apart the hills. I came off the glass and moved slightly to my right to get a new area to pick apart, and there standing within naked eye view was a coues. I didn't dare move and explained where to find him to my dad on the glass, "Buck!" in the classic yelling whisper you use hunting when you get too excited. His rifle was closer so I grabbed it and quietly chambered a round. I had fired his 6.5 PRC several times in the break in and sighting process so I felt pretty comfortable with it. As I looked up the buck had disappeared, likely fed behind a tree. I snuck over to another rock ledge to my right trying to find him. He had actually fed the opposite way and my dad picked him up before I did. I did a little ninja crawl back over towards him, and threw the rifle down on my pack. My dad ranged, "326!". After a few frantic seconds of trying to find him in my scope. There he was! I rushed the crosshairs over him and slapped the trigger. "Boom!" Nothing. The deer stood there unharmed. I had shot right over his back. I thought I had blown my one shot. Somehow he had not moved, but turned around now looking downhill as I loaded another round. I lined up again, took a breath, exhaled, and went through my shot sequence. The trigger squeezed and the gun went off. As the scope came back into view, I saw the deer on the ground, instantly expired. I couldn't believe it. My dad and I freaked out and high fived. The feeling of having all your hard work and preparation come together in one moment is absolutely exhilarating. I don't think that will ever get old.

I walked up to see my first coues buck ever laying on the ground. They were just as tiny as everyone had told me, and twice as beautiful. Absolutely one of the best looking animals I have ever seen. The places they live and terrain they endure, I have a huge appreciation for them. After admiring for a few minutes and a few photos it was time to get to work!

qL0gq7I.jpg

kRfaflL.jpg

HxKkDHh.jpg

I had never done a gutless method on any animal, so we figured a small coues was an easy one to start with. We got right to it and it actually went really smoothly. No reason in my mind to ever go back to gutting. This is the part I was most excited for. A big pile of meat to take home and share with my family. As Steven Rinella would say, I was in a "meat crisis". Not that this coues was going to do a huge job of filling my freezer, but any little bit helps. I was excited to try a new species, and broaden my wild game horizons.

V0grswl.jpg

lvc2PIh.jpg

The packout was short, but pretty rough. Up and down and up and down some more. I recently switched earlier this year from a lower end pack, to the new Kifaru frame. What an absolute world of difference. The improvement in comfort level is honestly insane. If you are on the fence about going high end... don't be. Just do it. Your body will thank you.

gSCTnBw.jpg

I want to mention here the particular flora of the southern Arizona region. Every plant wants to kill you. That is not a joke. Every plant has a thorn, spike, stabby poking device on it. And they are all extremely talented in shredding you, your pants, and anything else that comes in contact with it. Normal hiking through it is an adventure, but hiking with a load and being off balance makes it much more fun. I am definitely glad I converted to trekking poles, as they saved me more than a few times from a face full of thorns. In fact when we were butchering the deer we were blown away by how many thorns and spines were stuck in it’s legs. All the way through the hide and lodged in the meat of the lower leg. Yet they just keep on trucking. I am obviously not as tough.

FneFrCh.jpg

We finally arrived back at camp and got the deer into the cooler. A whole Coues fits in a cooler that one elk quarter probably wouldn’t. It really is amazing how small these deer are. We decided to hop in the truck and cruise down the road a couple miles to another ridge we had seen that would allow 360 degree glassing with the 4 of us.

I was really hoping to get my brother-in-law at least an opportunity, this being his first hunting trip ever, so we parked the truck and set off up the ridge. I felt really good hiking, as I no longer had to carry my full kill kit, my rifle, or my ammo! We got up as high as we could on this ridge and found a giant rock outcropping, perfect place to setup. We all faced different directions with the hope of covering the most ground possible. Again, like clockwork, my dad spots another 3 deer. I move over to where he is at and confirm his suspicions of one being a buck. They are a ways away, but not an impossible distance.

I head over and grab my brother-in-law, show him where the deer is at and ask him if he wants to make a play. We have maybe 2 hours of light left, and he is worried about not being able to get over there and being able to setup in time. While we discuss pros and cons, the deer does a Houdini and disappears. Decision is made for us, no deer tonight. We glass until it gets dark and head back to the truck and camp.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Day 4:

We packed heavy for day 4 with enough snacks and water to last the whole day on the mountain. We again split into two groups with the intent to cover as much ground as we could. My dad and I split and had a spirited discussion in the dark about which ridge was which and where we needed to be. I finally pulled out the map and proved my point, and we continue hiking up. We got to a rock ledge fairly high up, and then looked up the ridge in the early light and saw an even higher one. We didn’t even need to have a discussion, we were going up. As we got up to the top and it got lighter, we realized we would be able to see into 4 or 5 different small canyons, thus covering a ton of ground. We got our glass out and setup for the morning.

D8lPcBH.jpg

Oyjc7My.jpg

Everything I read on coues hunting before the trip all said similar things: “Glass, glass, and glass some more”. I thought I understood the concept. I did not. What you should know about coues hunting, is glass until your eyes bleed. I also heard all of the nicknames, including “The Grey Ghost”. That could not be more true. Even with glass these little buggers are so hard to see. Through the morning we picked out a few does, but no bucks to speak of.

As the sun got high, we decided to switch sides over to a higher point on the cliff where we could glass the side we had not looked at yet. My dad elected to climb up higher to another cliff on the ridge. The sun was baking and it was getting pretty warm, with no deer spotted. I tried to keep my focus and keep glassing.

u0hd17I.jpg

I snapped out of it when my phone vibrated with a text from my dad of “Buck spotted!”. I looked up his way and he was able to guide me onto the area of where the buck was at. From my vantage I could not see it. I focused on the area while my dad made his way down. As he was working down I saw his antlers as he started to get up. He turned and fed around behind the tree he was sleeping under, while I tried to flag my dad down like a madman. He didn’t see me, and in the minutes it took for him to get there, the deer then came back the way he had gone, and walked past the tree and out of sight. After my dad got to where I was glassing I explained what I had seen and we made a quick plan.

We decided to leap frog down towards where the deer was last spotted, so one of us would have eyes on the area at all times. After 45 minutes or so, we got down to his level and still couldn’t locate him. We looked over the area for a while with no sign of him. There was a big cliff just behind the area where we last saw him and we thought that if we could get up there, we might have a chance of spotting him.

We packed up our gear and got ready to make a quick play, as we were running low on light. It was now or never. We hiked towards the canyon we had to cross, and I climbed up on a rock to get one last look at the area before we lost sight for a while. I looked through my binos and noticed a weird looking bush. With antlers. I hit the dirt and furiously motioned to my dad. He saw the look on my face and quickly grabbed his rifle off of his pack. He ran up to the rock I was on and I explained the situation. “293 yards. Easy shot”. He got setup and was unable to locate him being that low. He sat up and stood his pack on end to rest his rifle on. The deer was right in front of the sun and almost impossible to see through the rifle scope. I crawled up on the rock and stood next the rifle to block the sun with my pack. He was finally able to locate him as the deer took a step down the rock he was on. I plugged my ears and he fired. As I was facing the opposite way I didn’t see anything of the shot or deer. He was just gone. My dad was stressing thinking he missed and the deer ran off. I have never known him to get flustered over a shot, so it worried me a little, but I was pretty sure he had knocked it down.

We made our way down the canyon and up the other side to where the deer was last. As we popped up the other side and crested over the rock pile, there he was. After skinning we learned that the bullet had hit his shoulder blade and a small razor chunk sheared off and nicked his spine. He dropped so fast, that he was gone before either of us could get eyes back on him.

zXO8fof.jpg

We got him all cut up and loaded in the packs. After checking OnX we realized the 4x4 trail was only a mile or so below where we were. We headed down the canyon and made our way to the road, then hiked it back to the truck. We hung both deer in a juniper near camp that night to cool.

The next day and a half were spent glassing every nook and cranny possible to try and get my brother-in-law on a buck. We were able to get him on one the evening of the last day, but at 380 yards, he just wasn’t quite comfortable taking the shot. I told him that is the sign of a great hunter, that won’t risk wounding an animal if they are not 100% comfortable. He was excited enough with all the game we saw and the opportunity we had. He is definitely hooked!

Overall just an unbelievable trip. The country out there is so beautiful, and the coues is a truly worthy adversary. They have adapted to some of the roughest terrain and weather imaginable and thrive there. I will absolutely be back as soon as I am able. Again anyone who wants to go try this for themselves, please reach out, I would love to help make your coues hunt as memorable as mine.

Last edited:

Jorge400

FNG
Congratulations of a terrific hunt and great report. I'm thinking of planning a post-Thanksgiving hunt myself for 2020. You've really peaked my interest.

rodney482

WKR
Thank you so much for taking us along on this adventure. I love everything about coues hunting. Huge congrats!!!

OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the comments and feedback. It was an absolute blast. I am already trying to figure out a way to adjust my schedule for next year to be able to go again.

sneakem

FNG
You got back in there a ways... The road in gets rough in spots. Beautiful country though, pretty decent hunting and probably not a lot of company. Congrats on the deer, they're tasty little guys.

Mudpuddle

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up and congratulations! Sounds like I need to upgrade my optics if I ever want to hunt for coues. Good job on promoting new hunters too.

Awesome write up! Thanks for sharing. I too chased the grey ghost for the first time this year. With some poor weather and bad luck I came home empty handing, but I can't wait to try again next year! Congrats on a great hunt.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up, a Coues hunt is on my bucket list, and this just made me want to do it sooner rather than later.

You're dad sounds like a deer spotting machine! Congrats on a great hunt.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Congrats!
Glassing is definitely huge here in the desert. Your description of “every plant wants to kill you” is pretty accurate.
I’m currently trying to get my first archery deer here in the desert, and keep thinking of all the posts I read by guys that stalk in their socks-they must be nuts (or have never met a cholla)!
Nice bucks!

OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
You got back in there a ways... The road in gets rough in spots. Beautiful country though, pretty decent hunting and probably not a lot of company. Congrats on the deer, they're tasty little guys.
Have you been on that one? We went all the way to the end haha, I hoped to get away from people, definitely worked! I would go back there in a heartbeat. Tons of game, and we only explored a small portion of the area I fee like.

OP
J

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up, a Coues hunt is on my bucket list, and this just made me want to do it sooner rather than later.

You're dad sounds like a deer spotting machine! Congrats on a great hunt.

Do it! It is such a blast honestly. Worth the trip from anywhere I would say.
He is a spotting freak. I hope I develop that eventually!