First Time Idaho Adventure

brn2hnt

WKR
Leaving in about 6 hours to kick off a 16 day, 2 zone Idaho DIY elk/deer hunt. Stopping Saturday night outside of Hazelton to visit and catch up with my cousin as well as meet the new member of their family, an adorable 7 month little girl. Sunday should find me getting a good idea of where to focus my efforts the first half of the week as well as a campsite. The first week will be focused on deer, the second week will be a few hours away and in an otc elk zone. Should have decent cell service every 3 days or so. I should be able to keep updated with pics and stories.

This will be my first completely solo hunt, from choosing state, zone, etc. I've hunted solo before but always in a location where someone in our party had already hunted. I just had to do a trip on my own to prove to myself that I could. It's easy to have faith in yourself, but you always wonder until you've actually done it. Hope you guys enjoy

Mike

OP
B

brn2hnt

WKR
What amazing country! Google Earth and topo maps don't begin to do it justice. After spending the night at my cousins outside Hazelton, I headed out Sunday to scout plans a, b, c, etc. Got camp setup in enough time to walk around that evening and found a group of does with two bucks with their nose up their tails. Could get a range on the little buck, but ranged the tree "next to" him. With 10 minutes of light I sent a round, knowing it was a solid hit. But upon crossing an avalanche chute and a rock slide, I had run out of light and couldn't say for certain if I was at his initial location. No problem I think, it's plenty cold and I will pick up the trail early in the morning.

OP
B

brn2hnt

WKR
Much to my disgust, I awoke in the middle of the night to sounds of rain and snow. Now thoroughly sick to my stomach, no more sleep was had that night. Long story short, upon closer inspection in full daylight, the tree I ranged was not in fact next to the deer but 150 yds closer, resulting in a clean miss, which is dissapointing, but far better than having a wounded or dead deer with a washed out trail.

The last two days have resulted in seeing some bammer bulls but no more opportunities for deer, which is all I have tags for in this area. Headed off the mtn today to take care of some work then back at it early tomorrow morning.

OP
B

brn2hnt

WKR
Steep doesn't even begin to describe this country. Over 2500' from camp to the top of the first ridge. Barely over a mile according to my gps. And it seems there's a trail in every drainage, so not as much room to get away as one might think.

uploadfromtaptalk1446054675195.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446054721225.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446054757490.jpg

OP
B

brn2hnt

WKR
Still no more deer sighted but have been doing a ton of armed scouting. Snow storm is moving in and out and hopefully will have the deer on there feet. Only two more days till I have to move to my elk zone. Nothing like taking it down to the wire!

OP
B

brn2hnt

WKR
Pretty low after tonight. Missed a buck standing quartering away at 280. All I can think of that could have happened was the rifle recoil pulled me off target as I was laid almost 90° to the rifle due to the steep terrain. Gotta go back and get my head right for tomorrow (last day in this area for deer) I just keep telling myself it only takes one time for it all to come together, but this has been rough.

uploadfromtaptalk1446258591735.jpg

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
You're going to miss once in a while as I did this season. It's a bummer, but I caught up with the same ram the following day and got him so keep your spirits up.

OP
B

brn2hnt

WKR
Well sometimes things don't go as planned. Setup camp in the zone I had my elk tag in to find 3 outfitters in the area, lots of beetle kill deadfalls, and snow coming in like nobody's business. Not afraid to say it, after 9 days of hard hunting I decided discretion was the better part of Valor and packed up to head out Tuesday. While coming uphill just past battle mountain in Nevada, something went wrong with the truck, rpms spiked and no power. Likely a driveline or transmission. Got a tow to winnemuca and once the shop opens we'll see what the plan will be for getting back home.