First time OTC Elk.

OP
A
Yeah, I was willing to wait until 2023 to hunt ID if that was where I was leaning. Part of choosing CO this year is because I want to get out there this fall.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m doing my first Colorado OTC hunt this fall. Not gonna lie…this forum makes it sound like a losing proposition!! I understand it’s tougher hunting sometimes, but there’s also a lot of great hunts being had.
So far I've just experienced the tough ones. Hoping to change that this year with a guided archery hunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
A
So far I've just experienced the tough ones. Hoping to change that this year with a guided archery hunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Are you doing a fully guided back country hunt or some type of semi guided hunt?

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Just go to CO, have low expectations, check the first-timer box off your list, and have fun. Have a plan though, my first time in CO I tagged out opening morning within an hour.

Praynprey

FNG
Just go to CO, have low expectations, check the first-timer box off your list, and have fun. Have a plan though, my first time in CO I tagged out opening morning within an hour.
This is exactly what I’m hoping to do next year!

Praynprey

FNG
I’m doing my first Colorado OTC hunt this fall. Not gonna lie…this forum makes it sound like a losing proposition!! I understand it’s tougher hunting sometimes, but there’s also a lot of great hunts being had.
Right?! This will be my first year thinking the same thing.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I did not draw an elk tag this year in AZ so I'm going to try an OTC HAM, using my recently acquired S&W 500 Mag, elk hunt here and see what happens.

It'll be nice to just get out even if the success rate for OTC hunts is low.

Eddie

I’ve never hunted OTC but I’ve hunted general tags in other states that are considered “severely overcrowded.”

Biggest thing is, just get after it… Quit stressing over units.

Pick a unit that interests you, whether because of terrain, access, amenities, etc and hunt the hell out of it.

Things I look for when picking a unit? First is plenty of public land, second is some roadless areas, and last but certainly not least is terrain I find ascetically pleasing.

Bottom like there are plenty of elk and plenty of opportunities in any OTC or general unit, you just have to work hard enough to find them. 😉

Also don’t try and bounce around from unit to unit. It’s a giant waste of time… Pick one area and hit it hard, drainage after drainage until you find the elk. They will be there.

Get out there and have fun! We love to debate stuff on this forum, outfitted vs DIY, resident vs nonresident, draw vs OTC. But bottom line elk hunting is a blast, enjoy it every time you get to do it, and appreciate the experience for what it is, even if you don’t come home with the coolers full!

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Unless you already know the area you are pretty much going on a camping trip in CO. More so by just day hunting but can be done. I was successful one time because we decided to hunt a different area. Was about 3 am and heard an elk bugle while driving to the new area we were going to try. Looked at the map and so it was legal to hunt there. Got close to them that night and had my partner had one about an hr after sun up. I'll take luck over skill anytime. Before deciding to change spots we were way back in and hadn't seen anyone or elk for 2 days. I took a mid day nap close to a clearing and woke up to someone going through my pack. ID doesn't have near the crowding issue because everyone thinks the same, CO is closer.

Hoyt Ag

FNG
You have to make the effort and get off the trails and roads. Get way back. Then go further. Find the nastiest habitat possible and hunt there.

I hunt OTC and guide in OTC units. Yes, you will see hunters but the further back you get, the better off. Spend 30 min a day e scouting and have plans A-M on routes, areas to focus on, etc. Archery isnt as bad, but can still be crowded. Use other hunters to your advantage and allow them to push elk to you and also help you find the routes to your other planned areas.

What unit are you looking at?