FitBit Charge HR Accuarcy

xcutter

WKR
My wife got me a FitBit Charge HR for my birthday. Set it up yesterday and wore it to sleep. I woke up this morning and it said I had already burned almost 800 calories when I had just got out of bed. How accurate are these things? Been reading a lot online about them and I'm getting different results. I'm up to 1288 calories burned as of 8:55 am EST. I got out of bed at 6:20 am. I have not done any exercise yet today.

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

ChrisS

WKR
Your body is constantly burning calories just to exist. It's called the basal metabolic rate. The fitbit takes an average BMR per minute based on what you input and adjusts it based on your activity level. If you're just sleeping, it'll calculate your calories burned at the minimum BMR. When you're active, it adjusts that rate based on your heartrate and movement.

Bear in mind it's not magic. The heart rate monitor & calories burned only provide an estimate. I think it's helpful, but I don't get too caught up in exact numbers. Personally, I think the heartrate seems to track my intensity level quite well. For example when I check the heart rate graph after I've been hiking, I can see when I when I was climbing elevation vs descending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk