fitting pack saddles

Like a backpack a pack saddle needs to fit correctly or your stock is not going to work for long or very well. Your animal can get sore and act up or your loads will shift and you will fight them down the trail. Recently I built my own decker by buying some PCs separate and making some others. As far as fitting I had to heat the metal stays to get the proper angle for my mule I then coated the bars with bondo and placed it on my mules back with a blanket only. This pretty much molded the tree to his back. Some sanding and painting and this saddle is set for this animal. It locks down and stays in place better than any I have used before. If your saddle is not fitting it will cause pressure points and you or your gear will end up on the ground eventually. Something to learn about for sure if your starting out. I don't know anyone who fits the way I do, its not what is taught out there but it is rock solid and works for me. Let's hear some input from others on tricks for fitting. I'm sure goats are tough to fit as well.

charvey9

WKR
I've found some conflicting information on where the tree should actually ride. I've read that a good rule of thumb is to have the front D line up with the back of the front leg, but this seems to about a hand farther forward than I have seen in most pictures. I suppose maybe it depends on the animal and the saddle?

Last edited:
OP
MULEPACKHUNTER
I've never really looked at where the lash points or d ends up to be honest, I just set the saddle based on the shoulders. Front bars behind the shoulder and set the britchen so it can't slide forward on to the shoulders when going down hill. Where ever the d ends up is what it is. I guess on really small or short backed animals you could need a custom tree with the d closer to the front but most trees are about the same as far as where the d is located. I have a video by Bob hoverson that is very good about all details of saddle fit and placement. Also Brandon carpenter video is good as well.

mntnguide

WKR
I like a hand width (4") of clearance between both breast collar/chest and britchen/butt...i like the back pad about a hand behind the highest point of the rump. .then the britchen sitting about 2 hands below the point of rump at a upward angle to conform to the leg and prevent rubbing....i fit those last; after i get the saddle sitting into the whithers of that animal...i feel that gives proper movement to the saddle, but doesn't allow it to slide on hills, but is loose enough that it will not rub the animal on long hauls. . Most important to get the saddle sitting right into the whithers correctly for proper fit