Fix blade grouping

Thess87

WKR
My wife shoots dang near everyday and can shoot decent (pie plate at 80-90 all day) I screwed her fixed blades on and there just spraying everywhere no grouping at all. And I’m talking not sure if she’ll hit the block target at 40. No grouping at all. It’s in time. It shoots bullet holes and her form and grip isn’t terrible. Tried muzzy 3 blade, magus stingers, and slik triks all with the same result. I refleched from a 4 fletch Max 23 to a 3 fletch Max stealth and helped but not near enough pretty much just hits the block every time now. Any ideas? I’m baffled. Bowtech captain at 58lbs 27inch draw is what she’s got.

Beendare

WKR
Could be lots of reasons why.....you have to tune her bow. Tuning with FP's is only 1/2 way there.

A hunting bow isn't tuned until it can shoot BH's to the same poi as FP's.

my guess is its a combination of underpinned along with other minor adjustments.

WATCH OUT though....when she tunes that bow......she is really going to blow you away with her shooting.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
I’ll look into the underspine. I had it bullet holes with 500 spine and put a 400 in it and it tore real bad so I just assumed it didn’t like them but I’ll dig a little deeper.

Zac

WKR
If she needs it right away you could try a smaller blade mechanical. She actually shoots pretty high poundage.

jmez

WKR
I would say it is her and a form issue. FP's are very forgiving, fixed blade heads are not. It has been my experience, when you have misses that are consistent it is an equipment issue. When the misses are random and inconsistent it is a shooter issue, with trigger punching being the most likely.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I ran the information through QSpine app and she is way under spined. But als with fixed heads going everywhere I'm willing to bet her rest is way out of centershot and the power stroke of the string is not directly behind the arrow. I had this exact same problem with my bow and had to shim cams. What is her rest set at?

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Using a mechanical to bandaid this problem can and will lead to lost animals in the field. Sub par arrow flight in general will hinder penetration a lot whether they shoot high poundage or not.

Oh man....great post. This^ cannot be emphasized enough. This is probably the #1 problem in bowhunting.

So many guys trying to solve poor arrow flight by just screwing on a mech head.....then they make bad shots in the field and don't realize its not them...but their equipment.

OP
Thess87

Thess87

WKR
Thanks guys yeah re checked the spine chart and don’t know how I messed that up. Ordered some new arrows today hopefully that will help. Have nothing against mechanicals I shoot them but I’m shooting 550grains and 80lbs. Since we hunt. Moose to whitetail I’d really like to keep her in a fix blade. I’ll check back and let you know what I find out as soon as arrows come in. Thanks again

Mkuper

FNG
Please forgive a noobe question. If the arrow is spined correctly for field points and fixed blade broadheads are of the same weight why would you need a different spine arrow?

My wife shoots dang near everyday and can shoot decent (pie plate at 80-90 all day) I screwed her fixed blades on and there just spraying everywhere no grouping at all. And I’m talking not sure if she’ll hit the block target at 40. No grouping at all. It’s in time. It shoots bullet holes and her form and grip isn’t terrible. Tried muzzy 3 blade, magus stingers, and slik triks all with the same result. I refleched from a 4 fletch Max 23 to a 3 fletch Max stealth and helped but not near enough pretty much just hits the block every time now. Any ideas? I’m baffled. Bowtech captain at 58lbs 27inch draw is what she’s got.
Might be a rest problem, sometimes you need to tune the rest to the broadhead

Fishty206

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely a bow tune issue. It happens everytime you switch over to broadheads especially fixed blade. They dont fly the same as target points.

Please forgive a noobe question. If the arrow is spined correctly for field points and fixed blade broadheads are of the same weight why would you need a different spine arrow?

You wouldn’t IF the arrow was spined correctly. However, you MIGHT not notice the arrow is not perfectly spined if you are only shooting field tips.

Mkuper

FNG
Would you shoot them through paper without fletch? I shoot 4 fletch arrows and a Iron Will broadhead. I thought if I shot that through paper any tear wouldnt be distinguishable? Again, I am quite new. I shoot 70 lbs, Victot RIP TKO 350 spine arrows cut to 27.5" point weight 125gr, Insert 20gr, Arrow wrap 4.5" @14gr, AAE Max Stealth 8.6gr X 4, Nock 23.2gr.
Thanks again

Wrench

WKR
Shoot them fletched. You'll see the tail tearing if it's not a bullet hole.

Know that these days a lot of folks are shooting straight, “machine fletched” arrows. Beyond basic bow-tuning (which is critical) I‘ve always noticed a big difference in Broadhead-arrow flight when a bit of offset or helical is added to the vanes. This especially shows up at longer distance. It likely slows down the arrow just a few FPS but its much more forgiving. I shoot a 29.5 inch Black Eagle Spartan 300 with a QAD Exodus with helical blazers and get great groups.