FL Ridgeline QZ

I’m to the point where if they don’t specifically say that there is some sort of laminated wind proof layer (Gore, etc) in the fabric, I have zero expectation of the garment stopping any wind. I just got tired of companies throwing ‘wind resistant’ into every single product description on their site

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I believe earlier someone said they talked to a rep and they said it has no wind barrier layer, so it's likely not windproof at all.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
I asked specifically about the ridgeline. Cause I've been looking for a light weight wind layer. Meaning not bulky wind proof layer. The rep was like ehhhh, it was meant for like hiking up the mountain type deal. I think as in wind cutting layer and breathable. Not sitting in a stand garment, at least that's what I took away from it. He recommended the catalyst or Klamath but was honest saying neither of those are windproof just cut wind and some people feel more than others through them. He said Ridgeline was a single layer nylon and said I don't think this is what your looking for. I was pumped up as I thought bam this is exactly it.

The wind proof version of the ridge line is just a straight up wind shirt from Montbell or Patagonia. They are crazy light, breathable, wind proof, and can shed light precipitation.

Literally the first sentence on the site says: "When you need a light layer to cut mountain wind"....then says it only has "DWR to repel light precipitation"
I'm not sure what the justification for an 8.5 oz pullover that doesn't cut wind & is not waterproof? I love FL stuff and it looks sharp but not sure how you justify $135 for it? real curious to hear some reviews.

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Literally the first sentence on the site says: "When you need a light layer to cut mountain wind"....then says it only has "DWR to repel light precipitation"
I'm not sure what the justification for an 8.5 oz pullover that doesn't cut wind & is not waterproof? I love FL stuff and it looks sharp but not sure how you justify $135 for it? real curious to hear some reviews.
Yea i was surprised by the response but i truly appreciated it. Im glad I called.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
I got mine yesterday, it's a nice shirt. Definitely a warm weather piece. Seems to breath well. Can't see it as a wind blocker but didn't get a chance to test it. Price point seems high, even with a military discount.
I see it as something to protect my Wick base layer. Much lighter than the Corrugate jacket.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider

I'm in the same boat, it looks great, I just can't picture where it fits into my current lineup.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Is the new Ridgeline QZ windproof?

No, it’s not wind “proof”. It’s extremely wind resistant.

Windshirts are used often in the hiking/climbing/mountaineering world, but are totally misunderstood in the hunting world.

Windshirts:

1). Block most wind while being extremely breathable and quick drying. Emphasis on breathable and quick drying.

2). Extremely lightweight and very packable. The FL is rather heavy as a WS being an average mountain brand such as Mountain Hardware, Arctyrx, etc. will be +/- 4oz and fit in a coffee cup.

Windshirts are meant for active movement. Where you are producing heat, but the wind blowing is cooling your skin too fast. If you put more layers on, you sweat more. Almost no one would put a Goretex top on while hiking hard in most weather, yet ANY shirt with a laminated wind proof layer like Gore WS IS Goretex just without taped seams. Windshirts block the vast majority of wind, while adding almost no insulation due to the garment. You’re warmer due to no wind, but it’s not really causing you to sweat more.

I do not want to sweat at all while moving. It’s a fact that I will when moving hard, so I want thin baselayer that dries very fast and something to block wind. A windshirt does that. Once you stop you can throw an insulation layer on over it and cook both the base layer and the windshirt dry in 15-20 minutes.

Personally I think windshirts are the most underrated and misunderstood piece of clothing in the hunting world.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
No, it’s not wind “proof”. It’s extremely wind resistant.

Windshirts are used often in the hiking/climbing/mountaineering world, but are totally misunderstood in the hunting world.

Windshirts:

1). Block most wind while being extremely breathable and quick drying. Emphasis on breathable and quick drying.

2). Extremely lightweight and very packable. The FL is rather heavy as a WS being an average mountain brand such as Mountain Hardware, Arctyrx, etc. will be +/- 4oz and fit in a coffee cup.

Windshirts are meant for active movement. Where you are producing heat, but the wind blowing is cooling your skin too fast. If you put more layers on, you sweat more. Almost no one would put a Goretex top on while hiking hard in most weather, yet ANY shirt with a laminated wind proof layer like Gore WS IS Goretex just without taped seams. Windshirts block the vast majority of wind, while adding almost no insulation due to the garment. You’re warmer due to no wind, but it’s not really causing you to sweat more.

I do not want to sweat at all while moving. It’s a fact that I will when moving hard, so I want thin baselayer that dries very fast and something to block wind. A windshirt does that. Once you stop you can throw an insulation layer on over it and cook both the base layer and the windshirt dry in 15-20 minutes.

Personally I think windshirts are the most underrated and misunderstood piece of clothing in the hunting world.

Because hunting brands do not offer windshirts, what non hunting brands do you recommend?

I bought the Sitka jetstream as a windproof later and as an extra insulation piece for truck or base camp hunting or for low activity hunting like turkeys.

But I’m struggling to find a place for it for active or western hunting. Especially when a rain jacket can kill wind AND is waterproof. The jetstream is also super heavy, I think it’s heavier than my FL stormtight jacket which is 3.5 layers.

Maybe if I get into early season archery the jetstream will work out when I know I won’t need a rain jacket or maybe even a puffy.

And also, what specs do you recommend for a windshirt? Like what weight would you recommend? What price point?

Thanks, sorry for the long winded rambling question.

Most of the stuff I’ve found is wind ‘resistant’ i.e. it’s not really windproof, just highly resistant. An example would be the Patagonia Houdini.

I’m a big Montbell guy, I think they’re an amazing company and very affordable. But even they aren’t very transparent between wind proof and wind resistant.

This one I THINK is wind PROOF: https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25014&p_id=2303106&gen_cd=1

But the Montbell doesn’t come in any natural earth tones.

Or am I missing the point and is a wind shirt just highly wind resistant?

I ended up purchasing the rab vital wind shell over the Patagonia Houdini because I heard the Houdini does not breathe well. Do you have any experience in the matter? The rab was also on amazon prime so I can return it at no cost. I hope I don’t end up with buyers remorse.

I found mixed signals. Some reviews said the Houdini is the industry standard in lightweight but wind resistance packable, lightweight piece. But other reviews from people said it doesn’t breathe worth a damn. And rab is known for making QUALITY pieces. Whereas patagucci is more of a high end fashion line now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Because hunting brands do not offer windshirts, what non hunting brands do you recommend?

I bought the Sitka jetstream as a windproof later and as an extra insulation piece for truck or base camp hunting or for low activity hunting like turkeys.

But I’m struggling to find a place for it for active or western hunting. Especially when a rain jacket can kill wind AND is waterproof. The jetstream is also super heavy, I think it’s heavier than my FL stormtight jacket which is 3.5 layers.

Maybe if I get into early season archery the jetstream will work out when I know I won’t need a rain jacket or maybe even a puffy.

And also, what specs do you recommend for a windshirt? Like what weight would you recommend? What price point?

Thanks, sorry for the long winded rambling question.

Most of the stuff I’ve found is wind ‘resistant’ i.e. it’s not really windproof, just highly resistant. An example would be the Patagonia Houdini.

I’m a big Montbell guy, I think they’re an amazing company and very affordable. But even they aren’t very transparent between wind proof and wind resistant.

This one I THINK is wind PROOF: https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25014&p_id=2303106&gen_cd=1

But the Montbell doesn’t come in any natural earth tones.

Or am I missing the point and is a wind shirt just highly wind resistant?

I ended up purchasing the rab vital wind shell over the Patagonia Houdini because I heard the Houdini does not breathe well. Do you have any experience in the matter? The rab was also on amazon prime so I can return it at no cost. I hope I don’t end up with buyers remorse.

I found mixed signals. Some reviews said the Houdini is the industry standard in lightweight but wind resistance packable, lightweight piece. But other reviews from people said it doesn’t breathe worth a damn. And rab is known for making QUALITY pieces. Whereas patagucci is more of a high end fashion line now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the info here:

I think this is more what you are looking for:

It's offered in a rather bright "leaf green."

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t even call it wind resistant. Wore it two nights ago scouting turkeys. Wind blew right through it. I think it will be good to cover base layers or as a breathable layer for late spring seasons and early fall seasons.

j33

WKR
I wouldn’t even call it wind resistant. Wore it two nights ago scouting turkeys. Wind blew right through it. I think it will be good to cover base layers or as a breathable layer for late spring seasons and early fall seasons.

How noisy it is? Like a quiet rain shell or more comparable to their corrugated fabric?

Considering buying to layer on its own or over my Kuiu 97. Also considering the Strongfleece 210 on its own since it’s only 2oz heavier.

Edit: researched more and it’s the same material as corrugate stuff just a little thinner so it’s fairly quiet

Last edited:
honestly if your looking for a pretty light weight jacket thats a lot more windproof than they advertise the FL guide jacket is pretty bomb proof. that plus a good base layer and and insulation layer works on about 90 percent of any western hunts im on. granted it doesnt fit in your pocket but its a lot of bang for your buck

Now that it’s been out for a few years (and on sale!), any long term owners have thoughts on if the Ridgeline is worth it? There are usually 100 reviews of any given piece of FL gear on here but doesn’t seem like the Ridgeline has really caught on. Looking to replace my OR ferrosi