Flat tarp or "Cat" tarp??

bbrown

WKR
So I have been wanting to add a sil-tarp to my arsenal for some time now. Basically looking for a ultra light shelter for summer and early fall trips along with possibly something to throw up to hang out under if the weather turns bad.
Probably going to get it from Bearpaw Wilderness designs because he is local and has decent prices but am torn between a typical 8'x10' flat tarp since it can be pitched so many ways.
http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/tarps.html

Or a "canopy tent" which I think might be a better shelter but not as many other uses.
http://www.bearpawwd.com/tents_tarps/canopy_tent.html

Weight is pretty close between the 2 as well is the cost.
Any insight?

dotman

WKR
Yup, I just sent my GLS5 to him to sew in a stove jack.

I think you should just pick up the Kifaru Supertarp in the classifieds, I hear it is in great shape :)

I haven't used his tarps but I wouldn't consider the supertarp to be flat and it can be setup many ways so I wouldn't worry about the canopy version.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Yup, I just sent my GLS5 to him to sew in a stove jack.

I think you should just pick up the Kifaru Supertarp in the classifieds, I hear it is in great shape :)

I haven't used his tarps but I wouldn't consider the supertarp to be flat and it can be setup many ways so I wouldn't worry about the canopy version.
Ha - I have looked at it several times just can't get it to fit the budget unless you need the Marmot bag that I have listed and some cash... just saying

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Thanks SHFT - I have checked out that Mountainsmith but I am not neeeding anything fully enclosed plus either tarp is a bit lighter.
I have an Oware 9'x9' pyramid tent that is great most of the time but I am just looking at something for those summer fishing trips where I could rock my Tigoat bivy and a tarp for less than 20oz. Or when the wife and I take a backpacking trip and set up a tarp to weather out those awesome Colorado mid afternoon storms.
I have had a couple good dealing with John - he made me a nest for my Oware and is going to sew a stove jack in it as well.

2rocky

WKR
Personally, I like the Flat tarp for the versatility and variety of pitches. The CAT s are just a floorless tent in my view.

I am curious what Tarp users do on the guylines. Pre cut or make 'em at the time of pitch from a length of cord?

Lawnboi

WKR
Why not a paratarp? I love mine. I'll never get rid of it.

12oz for just the tarp and it can be pitched any way. When the weather gets real bad you can pitch it the traditional way and have some good coverage. Packs down to nothing, even smaller than a nalgene bottle

dotman

WKR
I cut mine in 6t lengths which is plenty to have enough for most adjustments. I think if you cut for one specific purpose you could come up short and be changing out the line all the time.

Ray

WKR
I have a canopy 2 cat tent. It is pretty much a floor less pup tent. Limited set up options. If you go this way get the front vestibule.

If you want lots of options then get the tarp.

I have pre tied cord to all guy out loops and use mini ground hogs for all points but the two top ends.

MattB

WKR
I just got a Bearpaw 8x10 cuben tarp, amazing what it will do set-up option-wise and 1# straight up with guy lines + extra (100' total), stakes and stuff sack.