DST Tarp vs Flat Tarp

How is the versatility of the DST vs a flat tarp with multiple tie out options?

I'm looking to add a tarp setup this year for early season hunting. I am looking at the DST tarp and a Bearpaw flat tarp. I like the idea of the BWD because it has so many tie out points on the interior of the tarp. It seems like it would save interior space without needing the second pole.

On the other hand, the DST looks to be super simple with the two pole setup. My main issue would be having the pole take up some prime real estate. Also, it doesn't have any additional tie out points on the interior.

Last edited:

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
What are you looking to do with the tarp? That may help folks to help you with your decision.

OP
S
What are you looking to do with the tarp? That may help folks to help you with your decision.

Using a tarp with a bug bivy for early season trips when I dont want to bring the Cimarron or the camp areas may be too small for it. Also serving as a glassing shelter.

A-frame, wing, cave pitches are what I have in mind.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have a DST but do not have a Bearpaw designs tarp so I cannot compare the two. I think that the DST is a flat tarp too, but someone can correct me if that isn't right. The DST is simple and easy to set up in the flying diamond. and I have slept in it approximately 10 days in that set up. I like to find a tree to tie off the front to rather than using a second pole. Tons of room for 1 under it and depending on how big you are and how much space you are used to, there is room for a second person too. the pole can be angled so it isn't too much in the way. Inexpensive, light, and simple and I wouldn't like to go any smaller than the 10x10. I have an 8x8 flat tarp that I can make work but I feel like I have to be a lot more strategic to get enough coverage in weather. I have no experience with nests--don't see why it wouldn't work, but take that for what is worth. I have a ton of different flat and shaped tarps I have used through the years and if I was heading out solo this would be my default choice. Hope that helps.

Muttly

WKR
Lot of options with the DST. Partial to Bear Paw too, but don't have any of his flat tarps yet.
Here's a couple, DST A framed, Bear Paw nest and porch, one door open..Screenshot_20190228-064155_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190228-064237_Gallery.jpg

Muttly

WKR
Stone Glacier also has a little A frame, two pole tent tarp, the Sky Air ULT, more expensive, fair bit lighter than what I have going. 8 oz, if I remember correctly, vs ,wanna say 19 for the DST..