Flintlock Gear

Hello,

I am planning on doing some hunting in the GW natl forest this fall for whitetail and intend to use a traditions KY flintlock kit I built.

I plan to car camp and hike a few miles in each day to hunt.

My question is what essentials would you have for your flintlock for this type of hunt?

Obviously powder,balls, patches etc. But would you bring a knapping hammer? Or just an extra flint? Extra leathers?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
jrbarnes9972
I don't take anything but enough to reload once or twice. If you don't think your flint is going to last a shot or two, just change it before you leave.
Very true!

OP
jrbarnes9972
Multiple flints & leathers plus tools to change them out. for what they weigh, i'd rather pack extras with me.
You're right? Extras would weigh significantly less than the hammer

87TT

WKR
My knapping hammer weighs maybe an oz or two. It goes in the slot in my bag along with a "turnscrew" and vent pick. In the patch box in the stock are 2 extra flint, cleaning jag, patches and another turnscrew.

OP
jrbarnes9972
My knapping hammer weighs maybe an oz or two. It goes in the slot in my bag along with a "turnscrew" and vent pick. In the patch box in the stock are 2 extra flint, cleaning jag, patches and another turnscrew.
That's a good idea, unfortunately my rifle doesn't have a patchbox. But it would be easy enough to get a small case to put in a pack.

87TT

WKR
I would. Carry more for my bow. A large safety pin works for a vent pick and can be attached to just about anything. The turnscrew is not just good for changing the flints but also tightening them up as well as removing the lock so make sure it fits all the screws correctly.

Squincher

WKR
How much do you guys shoot during a hunt that you're worried about wearing out flints or having stuff come loose?

OP
jrbarnes9972
How much do you guys shoot during a hunt that you're worried about wearing out flints or having stuff come loose?
Truthfully I've never hunted with my flintlock, just a caplock. Just want to be overly- prepared.

87TT

WKR
Have you ever had a flint get loose? Have you ever lost a flint when it got knocked loose in the brush? I have never needed a new D loop or other repairs on my bow but I carry the tools and stuff to fix it. Heck I even carry an extra release. I HAVE had a flint get knocked loose and misfire. I have had the touch hole get fouled after "one" shot. And I have had flints break after one shot. I don't want to have my day ruined by something that could have been remedied bu=y a small kit that weighs less than a couple of rounds of ammo. Just me I guess.

Squincher

WKR
Have you ever had a flint get loose? Have you ever lost a flint when it got knocked loose in the brush? I have never needed a new D loop or other repairs on my bow but I carry the tools and stuff to fix it. Heck I even carry an extra release. I HAVE had a flint get knocked loose and misfire. I have had the touch hole get fouled after "one" shot. And I have had flints break after one shot. I don't want to have my day ruined by something that could have been remedied bu=y a small kit that weighs less than a couple of rounds of ammo. Just me I guess.

Nope. Never had any of that happen while hunting.

Haxton

FNG
An extra flint or two weighs almost nothing. I would bring a couple extras and one extra flint leather too, although you could use a patch in a pinch and it would work.