Florida keys fishing charter recommendations?

Sandstrom

WKR
I am heading down to the keys for a week with my wife and two boys, 6 and 7 years old. We will be staying in key west for two nights and four nights at hawks cay resort. I am looking for some advice on getting a charter or two. I have been down to the keys several times fishing over the last decade or so, however we typically rent a boat for the week and diy. This year my wife wants more of a vacation and less of a fishing centered trip. It will be much easier to travel without bringing all of my fishing gear:) Looking for some advice or recommendations on charter services. I am not looking to go trophy fishing, mainly keeping the boys lines tight and having fun:) Another option that we have would be to use the free kayaks that are available, however I still would like to get at least one charter. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Ryan

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry no help, but wondering how the boat rental works? which outfit does that?

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
For me I have a lot more fun on the bay side shallows, It's catch as fast as you can unhook and bait again. Fish aren't as big by a long shot but lot's of action. We just went with a couple of the guy out of Robbies (tourist tarpon feeding spot). Every time we go offshore it's a disappointment, Yes you catch giant fish but action for the most part is a little slow. Have had a couple guides out of Islamorada that were the Absolute freaking joke, Must be a thing that if your a offshore guide with a big boat you also need to be a drunk.

OP
Sandstrom

Sandstrom

WKR
Sorry no help, but wondering how the boat rental works? which outfit does that?
There are several places that rent boats down there, I have rented from 5 or 6 places, I have not had a bad experience from any of them. They have all been great to deal with. I typically rent from whoever is closest to where we are staying. I always try and stay at a place with a place to keep a boat, like a VRBO on a canal. Once we had a boat sink, the company apologized and got us another boat ASAP(bilge pump failed, small leak, and a large rain fall! Luckily it was at our dock) Usually rented something 20 -25 feet long with a single motor. We typically didn’t go out much further than 5 miles from shore, usually targeting 20 - 80 feet deep anchoring and chumming. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Ryan

I went with Mike Rio from Key West Charters and had a great time. He'll also take you out to just check out some islands and wade in the shallows or go snorkeling if you want. We were mainly after yellowtail snapper and caught plenty

Duh

WKR
It’s a little up the road from where you’re staying but I went with Captain Ron “pirate for hire” for two days. He’s was pretty good. Not sure how he’d be with the boys but he seemed like a no BS guy. We caught a ton of everything with him the second day. The first day I was set on tarpin fishing and it just eneded up being a rough day to get on any. I thought he was reasonable though.

yfarm

WKR
Harlan Trammell on Big Pine if you don’t mind the longer drive. Will fish the bayside for trout and cero macks or oceanside depending on where the bite is.
Bud andMarys in Islamorada has guides for backcountry or offshore. Nick Stanyzk is known for daytime swords. There is a marina on Duck Key, assume they have guides working out of there. The time of the year also has a big impact, Jan thru early May is the season with Feb andMarch the peak for offshore pelagic migrants.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I wouldn’t overcomplicate it based on what you’re after:

Greg Poland on Islamorada if you feel like it:

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I’d fish offshore in Key West, run too Dry Tortuga Area. Little more expensive but worth it.

From Duck I’d fish inshore. Find someone to run to Flamingo. It’s a long run but fun. You may see turtle, manatees, Spoon Bill cranes or flamingos. Try and time it so you fish near Full or New moon and have the tide moving.

Get some snorkel gear and kayak on the north side of Duck Key. Practice getting in/out of kayak (self rescue) in shallow water before going out. Technique to it in deep water. Find a pole spear or small speargun. Lots of hogsnapper out there, can’t be beat.

Mattys010

FNG
I met Nick Stanczyk in Alaska this summer. Very nice and humble guy. His family owns bud and Mary’s marina, they have quite a few charter boats out of there. They are in Islamorada. I’m planning a trip down there to fish with them hopefully next winter. His specialty is day time sword fishing, but do a variety of different trips. check them out on You tube, stanzfam.

SOL2

FNG
I used Dreamcatchers out of Key West in late March 2018. It was expensive but we found great success and to my understanding its going to be expensive no matter who you use.

fatlander

WKR
I’d recommend you fish with Captain Nolan Wilson of Miss O charters out of Islamorada. We fished with him last year and it was an amazing experience. We ran to Flamingo for snook, drum, and triple tail out in the Gulf. The boat ride itself is awesome. We landed a 28” and 30” snook. Caught too many snook to count, and we had a blast casting at triple tail on the crab pots in the Gulf. 10/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndewees

FNG
Classified Approved
I don't have a ton of history in the Keys, but been fishing there 2x and went with Capt Aaron Wright and Mutton to It and would highly recommend. Knows his stuff and seems to be a great guy.

Caught a pile of snapper both trips, got into Yellowtail for a while, and then trolled some open water for Mahi (caught a few), caught a Cobia and pulled a grouper up off a wreck. Talked about going back for a run to the Dry Tortugas, but have yet to do so. Based on feedback in talking to folks there I'd definitely check that out if you have time.

Share some details after you make the trip.

Call Bud N Mary’s for when you are at Hawks Cay and they will put you with a captain based on what species you want to go after. You didn’t say when you are coming down, different things are running throughout the year, but a good fallback especially with your boys is always chumming for yellowtails. Lost of action and easy

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
I would highly recommend Captain Kody of First Light Charters out of Key West. He is on a crazy Wahoo bite right now and also does a bunch of reef jigging/deep dropping. We went with him and had a great time. He runs out of Hurricane Hole Marina and they do one of the best "cook your catches" i've ever had. We booked a 'Full Day' and it was truly that. 8 am and got back in after 630. He ran us almost to the Fort - 60 miles out. $1600 and worth every penny.

www.firstlightcharterskeywest.com

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
You could also run a little further south to Marathon. It’s a little less touristy than Islamorada in my opinion. There is a good marina on the bay side that we have fished out of with kids several times. Fished the patch reefs for yellow tail And mangrove snapper. Good chance they will see some barracuda or big kings while chumming them up.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I am heading down to the keys for a week with my wife and two boys, 6 and 7 years old. We will be staying in key west for two nights and four nights at hawks cay resort. I am looking for some advice on getting a charter or two. I have been down to the keys several times fishing over the last decade or so, however we typically rent a boat for the week and diy. This year my wife wants more of a vacation and less of a fishing centered trip. It will be much easier to travel without bringing all of my fishing gear:) Looking for some advice or recommendations on charter services. I am not looking to go trophy fishing, mainly keeping the boys lines tight and having fun:) Another option that we have would be to use the free kayaks that are available, however I still would like to get at least one charter. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Ryan
Sent you a pm with a captain’s number.