Fly fishing New Zealand

Jaker_cc

WKR
Has anyone fished for Browns in New Zealand? I’m eaten up with the thought of putting a fly trip together and chasing big browns

Been 3 times! It's really fantastic. That being said, you really do need a guide or a solid amount of time to learn the hard way. A good hybrid is 2-3 guided days then your own DIY if you want. Access is not difficult but Kiwis are a "keen" bunch and anything without a solid amount of hiking (2-3 mi+) will be pressured out by mid season. Fish density is really low so they can't take the pressure like in US (where standards are far lower).

For reference, been fly fishing with a passion for 24+ years and can cast an 18ft leader in a hula hoop at 40 yards. Did some DIY my 3rd trip and it took multiple days to find fish and learn the hard way even though I'd done it with a guide before (granted, end of season in drought year).

Look up Zane Mirfin, great guy in Nelson on the South Island. He'll do any sort of crazy trip you're up for.

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Been 3 times! It's really fantastic. That being said, you really do need a guide or a solid amount of time to learn the hard way. A good hybrid is 2-3 guided days then your own DIY if you want. Access is not difficult but Kiwis are a "keen" bunch and anything without a solid amount of hiking (2-3 mi+) will be pressured out by mid season. Fish density is really low so they can't take the pressure like in US (where standards are far lower).

For reference, been fly fishing with a passion for 24+ years and can cast an 18ft leader in a hula hoop at 40 yards. Did some DIY my 3rd trip and it took multiple days to find fish and learn the hard way even though I'd done it with a guide before (granted, end of season in drought year).

Look up Zane Mirfin, great guy in Nelson on the South Island. He'll do any sort of crazy trip you're up for.

This is the sort of info I’m looking for, thank you. I want a trip that is successful in more than just catching fish. The location is just as important to me, I like the work.

I’ll look him up

Yeah part of the kiwi experience is flying in somewhere in a heli (much cheaper than in the US) and hiking deep into the backcountry. Really cool and rewarding. He'd do that in a heartbeat. PM sent

ColeyG

WKR
I've only been once. Chasing browns in the gin clear waters on the S island was a lot more like hunting than fishing. Not very high fish densities, and fairly educated fish. Plan on having to be pretty stealthy in your approach and presentations. I didn't find the fish to be overly picky if you didn't spook them. I caught fish on a variety of pretty simple wet and dry flies, even a few swinging the dolly llama at dark.

Look for fins and shadows, not whole fish. They are hard to see in most of the places I fished.

NZ is amazing. I'd live there in a heartbeat if I could. Enjoy.

I agree with what has been said already. Absolutely get a guide. Low fish densities and a completely different style of fishing (spot and stalk) make it very difficult going DIY. The trade off is the amazing scenery and the average size of fish being quite large.

My wife and I did a one day guided trip out of Queenstown in 2011. I landed one fish- a 27" brown, and broke one off that was even bigger. Both spotted up on the bank, and crawling on hands and knees to get into position to cast. My wife landed one "small" 21" rainbow. This was with Simon Wilkinson who owns Fly Fishing Expeditions New Zealand. Chris Dore is another guide out of Queenstown who came highly recommended as well.

Last edited:

AKducks

FNG
Went to the south island when I was in college. Great trip! Fishing is hard! very hard. luckily there is a ton of info out there on what rivers to try. talk to locals many are very happy to help you out and tell you where fish are. we did not catch a lot of fish (partly do to high water and the steep learning curve)

What I found out:
Fish upriver- I ran into a guide that told me he knew someone was coming down river because the fish got tight lipped.

Be sneaky- the fish are easily spooked we caught browns laying on our bellies holding a fly rod over the bank.

Don't be afraid to fish holes that are hard to see if there are fish in- I caught fish in a couple holes that I couldn't see anything (deep and slightly discolored).

Fish Nympths- I mean we only caught 1 fish on a dry fly (hopper!) rest were on Nympths.

Follow the regs- I'm pretty sure lead split shot isn't allowed we were informed of that from a local when he asked what we were using to get deep.

ENJOY NEW ZEALAND! It's an amazing country and I would have enjoyed my trip if I never put a fly in the water.

Fitzwho

WKR
Not to throw a wrench, but if you're eat up with brown trout, you might want to look at Tierra del Fuego Argentina for sea run brown trout as well.

Plivey

FNG
Sorry, late to the party here as I’m a new member... Anyway, I lived there for several years in the 00’s - fished all over both islands, with a particular focus on the volcanic plateau in the NI. Fished a bit in the competition scene there too. I get back there every couple of years to fish and hunt for a few weeks, so I’m still current with the general scene. If you’re still interested in sorting out a trip for brownies hit me up on a PM. I can save you some money, steer you away from the crowds, and put you on some good water without a guide. If you’re competent with a fly rod, there’s enough water and quality fishing that you don’t need a guide per se.

ODB

WKR
Come fish silver creek. If you can figure it out, it’ll probably set you up for the NZ challenge..