Fly In Hunt w/woods

Solitude

WKR
Heading in on a fly in Alaska caribou hunt September 1st. Been on this hunt a couple of times. Last leg of the journey is in a two seater. Limited space, but need to keep the arrows as safe as possible.

Curious what type of arrow tube(s) you guys use for your WOOD arrows & feathers? On the past two trips I ran carbons and feathers and/or trad vanes. Perhaps it’s more or less the same, but perhaps there is a significant difference?

I am thinking of bringing a couple of the standard Easton tubes. Curious if there are any other arrow tube product I should look into and consider?

Thanks for your opinions & input!

mgmicky

FNG
Hopefully you are not flying Air Canada?! I flew to New Brunswick for a bear hunt a few years ago and had a terrible experience with my longbow and wood arrows. Arrows were in a Simmons tube quiver, which was inside a Far North hard case that I thought was bombproof. I’m not sure how, but somehow they broke all of the arrows and damaged the bow. I don’t know how much more protection I could have provided. Not trying to discourage you from taking the woodies, but my experience made my decision of carbons and aluminum after that. Gold luck on your hunt!

Attachments

• B101F50F-1A16-4C98-B200-AEA6D0778C9B.jpeg
    B101F50F-1A16-4C98-B200-AEA6D0778C9B.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 36

smoke

Lil-Rokslider
I've always used a pvc tube. I seal (glue) one end with a hard cap and the other with just a hardcap that is duct taped on - lots of tape. I also label the heck out of it and stick it in my large bag with other gear so it doesn't get separated.

OP
Solitude

Solitude

WKR
Dang mgmicky! Someone wanted to snap those if they were in a Far North Case! The Far North case I own is a PVC tube with a canvas wrap with zippered end wraps. Someone could open the end I guess, pull out the arrows and snap them....but they would need to be pretty evil. I bought their shorter case a few years ago for a 3 piece take down & arrows, but taking a two piece on this trip so its just a bit too short. In addition, I am trying to keep the luggage weight down to not hit overage charges where possible.

I am a big fan of placing 1) My pack with arrow tube and trad bow inside a locked duffel to keep things disguised or 2) In a large locked SKB case that has a handgun if I am in grizz country. Both these options have worked well for me with Alaska Airlines into Alaska and the lower 48. Weight seems to always an issue.

Sounds like a thin walled hardware store PVC tube is probably the smarter approach vs the Easton tube.

Thanks guys.

I've traveled (flown) many times with wood arrows. On every trip I simply used an MTM Ultra Compact Arrow Case and have never had one problem. I take a maximum of 12 arrows on any hunt lasting 2-3 weeks.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I always travel with and use wood, cane, or boo arrows, never had any issues. Carry them in an architects plan case (Picture below) I borrowed from my wife around 2004 and never returned. It is light weight, sturdy, fits a dozen arrows, spare tabs, and arm guard. Twelve arrows are a tight fit, crushing the feathers a little, but quality feathers recover quickly. Like KD, a dozen arrows are enough for several weeks in the field……if I limit my shots at grouse high in the trees.

Attachments

• 25569018-7D60-4F3B-A20B-0359731EB7C1.jpeg
    25569018-7D60-4F3B-A20B-0359731EB7C1.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 21

Huntfun

FNG
I use only wood arrows w/ feather fletching and do as Kevin does... MTM Ultra Compact Arrow Case...with zero issues. I have packed this in a duffle bag with other gear/clothes and taken as checked luggage on many flights to hunts and shipped it out in advance without issue.