Fly rod/reel suggestion

OP
Eltigreblanco
Thanks for
The Brule River can offer some great fishing. The upper sections have resident brook trout and the lower sections get lake run brown trout and rainbows. Browns start running in July and the rainbows run in the fall. There are also resident browns and rainbows. Absolutely a beautiful river.
Thanks for the info I'll have to look into this

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t go wrong with a Redington Crosswater in the correct weight. I have owned two — one was 8’6” and the other 9’ in 5W (I only fly fish out West for trout). Great rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
My first fly rod was a 9wt Wright and McGill Blair Wiggins rod. I think I paid $200 for it. Its not the best rod ever, but I have caught bonefish in 4 countries with it, and its still hanging around. I bought another one as a back up on Amazon last year for less than $50. I also have a Loop Cross S1 Flatsman 9wt that I haven't even fished yet. That an $800+ rod.

For a 5wt, I would spend most (75%) of your money on the rod and find a reel on sale. You don't need a sealed drag or a drag whatsoever for 95% of the fish you will target with a 5wt. Echo, TFO, etc.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
You could always take a drive down to Park Falls and see if they have any blemished St. Croix fly rods. That's where I bought my first one for half price. After 14 years I still haven't found the blemish.

jeff68

FNG
I'm looking for suggestion for a rod/reel for a newbie. I've never fly fished before. I usually fish for trout out west, im attending a wedding on lake superior in Wisconsin this summer, and I thought it would be fun to give it a whirl up there. I would be interested in used gear if anyone is looking to un load. Thanks in advance
Buy a combo package. Spend on the low end. If you get hooked it'll be your backup. No pun intended. 6,7,8 will handle medium fish. Caught plenty of 20 lb salmon on a 8 wt.

OP
Eltigreblanco
So after a bunch of research I went with the orvis clearwater rod and reel. I found some good discounts . I still need to pick up line

Well you are in now. You can have a lot of fun with that rod. As your skills develop you’ll find you prefer an action type over others, not to worry, there are lots of them to try/buy.

4rcgoat

WKR
You could always take a drive down to Park Falls and see if they have any blemished St. Croix fly rods. That's where I bought my first one for half price. After 14 years I still haven't found the blemish.
I'll second the st.croix rods,i have a few pricey ones, but the "rio santo" in 9'5 weight only cost around $175 for the rod,that rod has caught a lot of fish with no issues, everything from size 20 midges to big ugly rubber legs.

OP
Eltigreblanco
Any one have a recommendation for line ? It would be used for trout and a little bass fishing

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I like Scientific Anglers MPX taper. I am using the Mastery MPX in a weight forward floating line. It does a good job turning over hopper dropper rigs and smaller streamers well. Rio Gold is another popular line. I'd go with a weight forward floating line matched to the rod weight. Don't cheap out on the line.

OP
Eltigreblanco
I like Scientific Anglers MPX taper. I am using the Mastery MPX in a weight forward floating line. It does a good job turning over hopper dropper rigs and smaller streamers well. Rio Gold is another popular line. I'd go with a weight forward floating line matched to the rod weight. Don't cheap out on the line.
Thank you

We are running Rio, as noted above don’t buy cheep lines. The Rios on my 5 Wt.s last three or four years, used primarily for smaller streams; rainbows, char and Grayling. I would guess 500 fish a year to 24”
The 8 wts get beat up in two years but they get hammered fishing sockeye and silvers. Daily battles with Salmon is tough on rods. Shoot I think I had 12 or 14; 8wts busted last year. Lines are still good.
Have fun, don’t over think it, catch fish.

Orvis is my favorite, great quality across the board from the entry level to the above-my-pay-grade level.

Whatever you decide, I’d drop most of your cash on a good rod and good line. As long as the reel holds the line and has decent drag, that’s all you need for now.

JCohHTX

FNG
Second Orvis class/coupons and the Clearwater. Quality setup that will take you a long time to outgrow.

Kentucky

WKR
I’ve been fly fishing for 3 years.. so I may be wrong, but this is my experience:

Good line is nice, but if you are a novice and throw it in the grass and get it cut up, stand on it in the rocks and get it cut up, wrap it around trees and in branches it can get cut up, then you floating line gets water logged and preforms poorly, start with cheaper line won’t hurt you, just save a bit of money, the better you get the better your and rod should be.. like shooting a trad bow, the equipment can only preform as good as you do.

if your getting 5wt, then your reel don’t need a drag, a reel is there to hold line only for most part.

you can pick up an old Diawa fronm the 60s on eBay for 25-40$ Find one made in Japan.
these are great reels.

I fish for mostly smallmouth, rock bass, and there are tons of musky in the river I fish as well. I use a 7wt, helps with throwing larger flies.. I use a reel with a drag on that rod as well, wouldn’t have to but nice with #4 smallies regular thing.

The longest lived fly rods I’ve owned were the old Gl2 8 wts. They not only fished well but held up to all kinds of abuse from guests. (200 a season) I have 4 or 5 spinning rods that are 25 years old as well as a dozen heavy King rods. We go through 10 to 20 rods a year. After Shimano bought them, the company’s guide program, support went way south. Haven’t bought a thing from them since then. When Gary still owned it, Tubby Tuberton could fall on the dock, roll into the boat and take out four rods. Call Loomis by noon the replacements would be in the mail and they would trust you to mail in the busted ones. Break one now, it’s probably not in stock and you won’t have the repaired one back before freeze up.
If I find a good price, garage and estate sale kind of thing I’ll grab any old Gl 2, Gl3 or Glx I find.
Had my old Glx 8 wt( 16), landed several thousand Sockeye and Silver Salmon, blow up last summer. Think I paid about 500 bucks for that rod, didn’t owe me a dime.

ridgefire

WKR

I would suggest looking at something like this in 5 weight. They go on sale for $150 or so and it would work great for what you would be using it for.